Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accommodation shortage?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have started to look for a chalet for a group of us flying to Geneva 1st April for 4 nights and am surprised at how little is out there? I did my usual of posting a request on Chalets Direct and my request was simply "a twin and 3 bed room ideally in a catered chalet anywhere within a 2 hour drive from Geneva" and I got one, YES one offer in a faily small resort. Years gone by I am inundated with offers.

I have also emailed companies directon there websites and a large number of them are already full.

Is anybody aware that accommodation is thin on the ground for the first week in April? I know its school hols but even so! Have I missed something!?!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many companies are running very low numbers of beds after last season; it's the cuts and has hit skiing hard. A friend's British footfall in a large shop in a big French resort is down 40%, that's why the pistes are so quiet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic wrote:
Many companies are running very low numbers of beds after last season; it's the cuts and has hit skiing hard. A friend's British footfall in a large shop in a big French resort is down 40%, that's why the pistes are so quiet.

But shouldn't this mean that there should be loads of free beds available if you booked independantly? If the tour companies haven't taken up so many beds this year then surely the beds must be available to book some other way?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had the same experience when I was looking - last time (2009) I was inundated with replies - in fact so many it was annoyign because the owners had blatantly ignored the requirements so I got a lot of invites that were totally unsuitable.

This time I only got 2 or 3.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jimmybog, Try Scott Dunn, Supertravel, Dynamic Lives plenty available. Or chaletfinder.com
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic wrote:
jimmybog, Try Scott Dunn, Supertravel, Dynamic Lives plenty available. Or chaletfinder.com

Thanks cynic but I'm not the one looking for accomodation. I was just saying that if little or no accomodation is available from the usual tour ops then they should be available elsewhere. Good to see that list though as there are some that you have mentioned that I haven't heard of before. Will be handy for future reference.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the suggestions Cynic. TBH the ones you have suggested are very pricey and chaletfinder dont seem to offer less than 7 nights.

I am ideally looking to book with an independant or small companies as I have found in the psat you get a better level of service but in my search there seem to be fewer of these around.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holyjasper, what sort of area are you looking for? You mention in your post that the one offer was from a fairly small place and I'm assuming it wasn't suitable for you, so that would rule a place like ours out, but it might be that some SHs could recommend some independents if you suggest the type of area you're looking for?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We would love to stay in Les Arcs at altitude but if that wasnt possible then maybe in La Plagne (not Montchavin) or if not then over to the PDS maybe in Avoriaz. The one thing we decided to do this year was try and stay at a resort height where you have a good chance of a true ski/ski out experience so I suppose anywhere within roughly a 2 hour drive from Geneva would be on the cards.
Any suggestions/recommendations you have would be massivel appreciated. Laughing
Cheers
George
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holyjasper, if that is the case (ski in/ski out chalet in a high resort) then I think you will struggle for a short break during that week - it is prime school holidays week as you say and also a really good snow season so people are feeling confident to book April, plus the UK half terms all coincided this year so I think there was probably less availability for reasonable cost accommodation during half term, pushing more families towards 31st March. Maybe try the following week? I'm sure some SHs will have some suggestions at some point though...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holyjasper, I think the issue might be that you want 4 nights during the first week of easter. As it's prime time, I would guess that most of the owners will be wanting ppl to book for a week
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy