Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Geneva to Meribel / 3 Valleys ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Meribel this coming saturday and being half-term I know the traffic is going to be horrendous. Can anyone recommend the best route from Geneva to Meribel?

The main options seem to be Geneva-Annecy-Albertville (on the direct road from Annecy to Albertville) or stick to the motorways and do Geneva-Annecy-Chambery-Albertville which the route finders say takes about 10-15 minutes longer depending on traffic.

We'll be leaving Geneva airport at about 10.00am so I suspect we'll be hitting the peak of the traffic heading up to the 3 valleys.

I've had a search but couldn't find much that had already been posted on this so any advice is much appreciated.

Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stick to the motorway all the way (or rather as far as possible) as there is less chance of delay
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be honest, the worse traffic is from Albertville to the 3V and beyond. From memory it can be sticky around Albertville but the worst stretch is coming into Moutiers.

The route round the lake looks pretty, is free but is single carriageway and the tour operator coaches tend to use this non-motorway route.

As its half term, I would probably take the motorway. Otherwise, the other route every time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Asked this here recently and was told: "Geneva-Annecy-Chambery-Albertville-Moutiers. Longer than the Annecy-Albertville direct, but less likely to get stuck in traffic. Around 2 hours."

Then drove it but had two SatNavs which both gave at times conflicting directions. Didn't end up going to Chambery so must have taken the lake route from Annecy, I agree with the above posters re the traffic on this route.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
olderscot wrote:
I'm off to Meribel this coming saturday and being half-term I know the traffic is going to be horrendous. Can anyone recommend the best route from Geneva to Meribel?

The main options seem to be Geneva-Annecy-Albertville (on the direct road from Annecy to Albertville) or stick to the motorways and do Geneva-Annecy-Chambery-Albertville which the route finders say takes about 10-15 minutes longer depending on traffic.

We'll be leaving Geneva airport at about 10.00am so I suspect we'll be hitting the peak of the traffic heading up to the 3 valleys.

I've had a search but couldn't find much that had already been posted on this so any advice is much appreciated.

Mike

We do the trip from Geneva to Paradiski on a regular basis; we find that via Annecy is pretty, but slow and you cannot make much headway on the single-laned route. We always tool down the toll road to Chambery, then toll to Albertville - its 15 euros well spent. As others have said the congestion comes on the pull up to Moutier (and then you'll have the delight of the road up to the 3V. Usually, there is some congestion at Chamberry, just volume of traffic. We find the highway/toll road is much faster because you can have a higher cruising speed. If you are not in a hurry the Annecy road is lovely, try the route along the eastern shore. You makes your choices to suit your needs/wants.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
If you are not in a hurry the Annecy road is lovely, try the route along the eastern shore.

It's slower along that shore in my experience, and maybe a tad less scenic.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. In theory we're supposed to be the first of our group to arrive so have to sort out the chalet keys, bedlinen, do a shop, etc. So while not exactly in a hurry I will want to push on a bit and avoid unnecessary delays.

Looks like the Chambery route it is then. Once on the road up to the three valleys I'll know there's no alternative so will just have to relax and take it as it comes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
has the new road in Albertville, along the river made much difference on busy days?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just wanted to report back that I took the Annecy-Chambery-Albertville route and only hit one spot of delays for maybe 5 minutes where the lyon traffic got in the way around Chambery. (same thing happened on the way back). Left Geneva airport at 10.00am, in Meribel around mid-day. Some friends driving from the UK arrived later and did have maybe an hour or so of stop-go traffic in the afternoon.

I allowed plenty of time getting back to Geneva and no traffic that way either. Drove relatively slowly and took about 2.1/2 hours. Only ever 3-4 cars in the queue for the payage.

As others have said, Meribel seemed very quiet for a half term week. Certainly much smaller queues than around Morzine / Les Gets last year. Very little queuing anywhere and slopes pretty quiet except for the run down at the end of the day.

I guess the benefit of not many french being on holiday. The queues of french cars heading for the slopes certainly suggested this week is going to be busier.

The holiday spacing looks similar for next year too. I might just have to go again. Very Happy

Mike
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy