Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best European Resorts for Tree Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After discovering my tree skiing legs this January in Livigno, I've developed a bit of a taste for it.

Do any European resorts stand out for tree skiing? Preferably not overly difficult, but good runs through reasonably spaced trees, readily accessible and not too far from lifts/pistes.

Here's a vid of the sort of standard I am at if this would influence suggestions:

http://youtube.com/v/IDQizJVfEf8

Livigno is good for me as the town is at 1800m, with around 2-300 vertical metres of trees above that, giving what seems like unusually high altitude tree stuff, and the good snow which comes with it, but I'd like to try some new places.

I'm thinking of sneaking away DIY for a few days in March, so somewhere with a shorter transfer than the 5 hours from Bergamo to Livigno would be good!

The resort doesn't need to be big, but the option to ski at reasonable altitude would be good, as I've experienced some dodgy conditions lower down at that time of year before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This year nealy anywhere! I spent a large part of December in Japan renowned for it's tree skiing, then was in Soll in early Jan and it was awesome in the tree just so much snow you could go anywhere.

There's quite a few but notably IMO Serre Che and Schladming.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 more for Schladming and surrounding resorts. A couple of short videos from around Schladming

http://youtube.com/v/0fR0sjIP1lQ

The covered stumps in the logged out areas are great fun

http://youtube.com/v/ti3KWHil310

http://youtube.com/v/EuSMw_a2EZ0
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trees + Altitude doesn't compute unfortunately!

Serre Chevalier, Sainte Foy, Les Arcs, Areches-Beaufort for some different suggestions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips. Those videos are making me feel slightly sick that I'm not there. Plenty to go on for the next trip!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Trees + Altitude doesn't compute unfortunately!

Not as linear as that; depends on the area. Plenty of regions / mountains in the Alps have high tree lines, a lot around, 2,000m, some around 2, 200m. Depending on the region that can yield a good tree vertical. I think the point in the Alps is not a case of potential but reality; Alps are heavily farmed, not just in the valleys but also on the slopes for animal grazing and significantly at one time for timber. Agriculture was there long before the ski areas, then when the ski areas came about, the focus was generally more on the alpine. Some ski areas in the Alps have understood and used trees well, for tree lined pistes / access to glades, aesthetics etc but many haven't, or at least its not as good as it could be. And then there are a fair number of ski areas where the tree vertical is little or none, so it is as it is.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 24-12-13 0:36; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Ste Foy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, Those tree bumps are indeed great fun. Although if you remember I also fell over a couple last season Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And Serre Chevalier also had some of the best tree skiing I have experienced.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, Serre Chevalier not only has good tree lined pistes but nice spaced trees for glade skiing, combined with some good alpine, its a very well rounded ski area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy