Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Austrian Resort week after half term?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping to bag a late deal for the week after half term. I've only skied in France so would like to try Austria, it's just me and my girlfriend travelling both have 5 weeks skiing under out belts probably solid intermediate standard, not up to off piste yet..... Been to Les Arc, L2A, Le Plagne, Le Rosiere

Budget of about 2k for both all in, flights, passes, accom, hire. Been looking at Kitzbuhel and Soll so far Saalbach appeals but seems more expensive.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
audio1482, I'd rate Kitz above Soll all things being equal. It's been several years since I skied in Kitz (will be there in a fortnight). Saalbach is an old favourite and would def suit intermediates well. Saalbach has the ski curcus, but since I've been in Kitz the 3S gondola has meant the Pass Thurn area without needing buses and have the ski safari.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's Fasching week (carnival), many german and austrian schools will be on holiday so not the quietest week to be in Austria, though expect lots of fancy dress on the slopes and even more serious apres ski. Enjoy, or pick a quieter week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robapplegate, I checked up on this and it seems according to this http://www.holidays-info.com/School-Holidays-Austria/school-holidays-austria.html

This week will miss the bilk of the Austrain areas half terms? I expect Feb is prob peak season anywhre but Austria will be a safer bet than braving a Frnch resort during French or UK holidays?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the 18th is Dutch holidays
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bavaria, Southern Germany and parts of Holland will also be on holidays, not just Austria.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UK half term is mainly week 7 - i.e. w/c Sat 11th Feb. The following week is half term in Holland, Denmark, Bavaria and Austria and is absolutely the busiest week of the season in Austria apart from New Year, so is probably not the week to look for bargains unless you go with a UK Tour Operator that has a chalet to fill - so in Saalbach that could be Nielsen or Ski Miguel. Saalbach is an excellent resort for intermediates and the Ski Circus will keep most people happy for a week, with over 200km of pistes. If you stay away from the beginner slopes, which will be packed with kids, there is plenty of skiing above the mid-stations where you wouldn't know it is high season. Apres in Saalbach and Hinterglemm is legendary - search the forum for Goasstall, Hinterhagalm, Bauers etc. If you are used to paying French resort prices, then the cost of food and drink (e.g. €2.20 for a large beer in Bobby's from 16-18 ) will come as a nice surprise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW I'll be in Austria that week, I didn't think all the Austrian schools were on half term that week-in fact are any? Anyhow for me it fell so it allowed a 3 or 4 week gap between other trips, I think unless you ski in the latter half of Jan it's hard not to conflict with some sort of holiday across the alps.

I also got a very good dela for this week but booked ages ago.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok so I seem to be getting conflicting views here, although via the link I provided would suggest that the Austrian schools aren't 'out' that week some of you are saying they are? I could go the week before but this is most def half term for the majority of UK schools (I think Scotland are on a different term timetable to England for example). Prices don't seem any different for the 18th week or the week after, otherwise it would have to be later March or April.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
audio1482, That's just Austria, try googling German and Dutch holidays too. It is all a bit staggered, and if you just get a silly costume and pretend you're German it'll be fun anyway, just a bit longer to wait in the queues maybe. though probably not as long as I'll have to wait as i'm going the week before which is of course English half term, and a few areas of germany too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

otherwise it would have to be later March

should be v nice in March? Longer days and snow should still be fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, But I'm impatient and don't want to have to wait that long is the honest truth!!! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robapplegate, Thanks I'll have a look. I've only ever skied in December and January up to date, several times at Christmas and didn't find it too busy then at all so I'm sure we'll cope. As I've not been to Austria before I was a little apprehensive a sI'd heard France can be Hell-ish with queues even in the smaller resorts-even if they're not on the average UK punters radar the French certainly know about them! Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robapplegate, very few German states have full half terms in the winter. What you will find though is lots of school groups doing their week's ski camp.

Bavaria, Saarland and Saxony all have school holidays that week. In Austria it is the provinces of Salzburg, Burgenland, Kärnten (Carinthia), Tirol and Vorarlberg. In other words, for most centres used by British TOs, a hell of a lot of day trip skiers!

Fasching week is the second busiest week for Austrian resorts after the New Year week.

If you can go in March, do so, it will be quieter, you will have a longer day and a great deal more pleasant all round.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'd heard France can be Hell-ish with queues even in the smaller resorts

If queues are your idea of Hell I wouldn't head to Austria in Fasching/Dutch holidays. Can't imagine there'd be much to choose between French and Austrian resorts, that week.

Christmas isn't generally crowded in France (though New Year is). In France, February holidays are far more crowded than Christmas.
snow conditions
Hmmm now I'm getting worried Toofy Grin
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Thanks, good to get some advice form someone who's 'on the ground so to speak'

I'd like to go again late season hopefully to Tignes in April so going in Feb is more feasable to let my fiances recover. So if I get up and miss the mornign rush hour for the main gondolas will it be that bad? Can't think of anything worse if it's shoulder to shoulder on the pistes!

pam w, I was in Le Rosiere over New Year a few years ago. I really found it quiet with minimal queues I know it's not a huge resort but probably popular enough to be mainstream which makes me think that it's perhaps not as bad as people make out?
latest report
I was in Ischgl on Fasching (Carnival) week last year and it was not SO crowded - I mean, it was, but not incredibly so. If you have no other option, I'm sure you can survive and have some fun too Smile

www.tipsology.net
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy