Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack. Big air gap or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I've been looking at backpacks today and I tried one on that was nice but has a gap between the frame and pack for breathability. Is that any use or hinderance whern skiing.

The pack is
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/marmot-ukiah-28/fuseaction/products.detail/code/62110634/id_colour/108/group/218/level/3

cheers
Bob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When skiing you probably won't notice the "venting" but if you fall you will notice not getting stabbed in the kidneys by your water bottle/camera/shovel/lucky teddy or whatever!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't see why it would be too much of a hinderance for skiing. I suppose that it makes the overall dimensions of the bag bigger and thus it will protrude further off your back, so compared to other packs of the same volume it might be harder to keep on when using chairlifts or it might catch on branches easier when tree skiing.

My old dakine pack was alright for skiing but had no ventilation system to speak of and thus made it useless for summer hiking and mtb. Newer Deuter pack that I got doesnt have the mesh system but has a ventilation system that leaves a channel up your spine for air to flow through, this makes a huge difference and I can use it comfortably for both summer and winter use. Can't actually recommend Deuter highly enough for build quality and comfort, have put the pack through hell and it still looks brand new.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doesn't look like it has ski carry straps. You might not care about that, of course. If you wear lofty insulation (down or synthetic), you may find that the back panel compresses it and leaves the squashed part exposed to the air (unlike a normal bag). Probably only matters if you're only doing lift-served stuff, but in that case do you really need a super breathable rucksack? Do you actually get a sweaty back when skiing? I wonder if the gap will fill up with snow if you wipe out in the soft stuff.

I'd have said this sort of bag is only really useful for summer hiking or cycling, but the fact it has an iceaxe loop suggests the manufacturers disagree with me, so what do I know Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have one of these type backpacks and I don't really notice the difference to be honest other than it is more comfortable!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
THanks folks.

I'm only looking for a pack for the odd day out on the slopes. I was trying packs for comfort first and this is easily the best but I just wondered if the gap was a hindrance in your honest opinions.

I'm not going touring so I don't see the ski carry straps as a problem.

It looks like a buy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
glasgowcyclops, looks quite big if you just need it for the odd day...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd say not. Have a similar Vaude pack that's fine for commuter cycling but no good for mountain biking - hit a bump and the pack bounces up and hits the top of your helmet.

No benefit of the ventilation when it's cold - you're better off with one that sits snugly against your back. A padded back will stop any of the contents digging into you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/evoc-freeride-trail-20-litre-protector-rucksack/

it has a removable back protector plate which can also just be worn as a back protector on its own - probs not enough for if you are into upsidedown skiing / silly jumps but good enough for most things. also a fluffy pocket to store sun glasses / lenses. very comfy. great for mtb but no ski straps sadly. also a bit on the steep side.

coi - have buggered my back several times so am a smidge protective about it

rob
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HINDRANCE! HINDRANCE FOR GOD'S SAKE!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy