Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment hire terms

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked another trip snowHead Looking at ski hire for the teenagers.
Found the following below in terms & conditions, as I read it, seems to be saying that even
if you take out their insurance you are still liable for an extra weeks rental cost in the case
of any claim for damage or theft?
Surely that's not normal Puzzled

LIABILITY

Except in the case of fraud, the customer benefits from the following measures:
The customer is not covered for any damage done to the articles rented and will engage personally to cover any costs incurred, unless he/she has subscribed to a theft/loss guarantee.

THEFT/LOSS GUARENTEE

The customer may subscribe to a theft/loss guarantee, payable in advance when he collects the equipment, and is charged according to the terms advertised in the shop. The company then abandons any recourse he may have for the repair or replacement of the equipment in their entirety after an excess equal to the cost of a seven-day rental period of an identical article is paid. The payment of this excess is over and above the cost of the payment for the period of rental of equipment.

TO EVOKE USE OF THEFT LOSS GUARANTEE

In the case of theft, the customer is to supply the shop with the original complaint for theft from the police station.
In the case of breakage, the customer must return the broken equipment to the shop.

LOSS, THEFT, BREAKAGE

If not covered by the guarantee, the customer will be charged for the equipment based on the TTC sale price of the article, deducting a depreciation of 15% per year.
The theft/breakage or loss of a pole will be charged at 15€
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
provenjohn wrote:
Just booked another trip snowHead Looking at ski hire for the teenagers.
Found the following below in terms & conditions, as I read it, seems to be saying that even
if you take out their insurance you are still liable for an extra weeks rental cost in the case
of any claim for damage or theft?
Surely that's not normal Puzzled

LIABILITY

Except in the case of fraud, the customer benefits from the following measures:
The customer is not covered for any damage done to the articles rented and will engage personally to cover any costs incurred, unless he/she has subscribed to a theft/loss guarantee.

THEFT/LOSS GUARENTEE

The customer may subscribe to a theft/loss guarantee, payable in advance when he collects the equipment, and is charged according to the terms advertised in the shop. The company then abandons any recourse he may have for the repair or replacement of the equipment in their entirety after an excess equal to the cost of a seven-day rental period of an identical article is paid. The payment of this excess is over and above the cost of the payment for the period of rental of equipment.

TO EVOKE USE OF THEFT LOSS GUARANTEE

In the case of theft, the customer is to supply the shop with the original complaint for theft from the police station.
In the case of breakage, the customer must return the broken equipment to the shop.

LOSS, THEFT, BREAKAGE

If not covered by the guarantee, the customer will be charged for the equipment based on the TTC sale price of the article, deducting a depreciation of 15% per year.
The theft/breakage or loss of a pole will be charged at 15€

Anyone?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with your interpretation. I've heard of this sort of clause before. Shop around and choose somewhere else, or don't take the insurance and make sure you don't lose them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kieranm, Thanks for that. Never come across that before & have now found that Skiset don't have that in the small print !
In all the years that we have been hiring kids ski equipment have never had to claim, but it's sods law that having noticed this, something
will happen wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check your holiday insurance, mine says that hire skis are covered if stolen/damaged, worth a look
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Depreciation of 15% a year seems unreasonable for hire skis - which I would have thought had a maximum life of 3 years, with very little residual value.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
provenjohn, could you tell us whose Policy this is - so that we can avoid it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to buy insurance following tales of ski shops stealing back their own skis, or punitive damages for skiing over stones. I don't bother these days as I reckon the combination of holiday insurance with the insurance I don't pay will cover rubbish shop-bought insurance policies. I've never seen a ski shop even look at the base of a ski when returning it.

achilles, at least they make *some* allowance for depreciation. Most ski shops IME require you to pay full retail value. As I've mentioned before, in the UK you'd only have to pay the shop back for what it lost; and the value of a pair of skis that had been bought wholesale in the first place, and then used, is not much.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
provenjohn, could you tell us whose Policy this is - so that we can avoid it.

That was from skihigher in La Tania, don't know why I bothered to read the terms really! however, that made me look
at Twinners, where I found this:
2)'Theft, breakages' guarantee: the client may, if he wishes, when he takes possession of the equipment, subscribe to a guarantee which is payable in advance and invoiced according to the conditions posted in this shop. In this case, the shop will have no further claim against the client and will take responsibility, in the framework of normal use, the entirety of the costs of repair or replacement after deduction of a contribution equivalent to the price of a rental of 7 days for a piece of equipment identical to the rented item. The payment of this contribution will be in addition to payment for the actual days of rental.

I then checked with Skiset who say that if you take out their insurance, that is it, no extra excess.

Guess it pays to read the small print! Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
provenjohn wrote:
kieranm, Thanks for that. Never come across that before & have now found that Skiset don't have that in the small print !
In all the years that we have been hiring kids ski equipment have never had to claim, but it's sods law that having noticed this, something
will happen wink

Used Skiset last week in Tignes. Skis stolen at lunchtime on last day. We took their insurance, but the excess was 150 euro.

My travel insurance won't pay for this as they were "unattended". Not sure if a lock would have helped with this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tspill wrote:
provenjohn wrote:
will happen wink

Used Skiset last week in Tignes. Skis stolen at lunchtime on last day. We took their insurance, but the excess was 150 euro.

My travel insurance won't pay for this as they were "unattended". Not sure if a lock would have helped with this.

Well, here are their internet terms, I can't see where there is mention of any excess payable ???

Did you book online?

http://www.skiset.co.uk/general-sales-conditions.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tspill, exactly same situation as my bf was in.

provenjohn, No mention of excess on the website or in the T&C when you pay online.

The rep went down and did some chatting in French and ski set in ADH relented on the excess after production of a police report.

Basically try not to pay it as its a total scam since there is no excess mentioned when you buy the insurance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am convinced this is all a scam.
I don't believe my skis were maliciously stolen, but just that someone took the wrong skis from the mass at the restaurant by mistake.
All rental skis have the company name and company serial number. I have no doubt that these skis will make their way back to Skiset. I am sure this is very common occurance and tht each week skis move between shops to sort this out. I am equally convinced that they will not return my excess even if this happens, but just take it as a cynical profit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy