Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extraordinary Instructor Needed - Paradiski

Poster: A snowHead
The Lovely Mrs K is willing to try and learn to ski; after a very bad start, poorly fitting boots and Bulgarian 'instructing', she has for years resisted any suggestion of trying downhill. Now, however, she has indicated that she might take some lessons during our Easter trip to Paradiski.

What I need are some snowHead suggestions of extraordinary instructors who have experience of working with very nervous adults. Ideally this instructor would have god-like patience and excellent teaching skills, including empathy and inspiration.

Clare is a fine athlete, runner, cyclist, ski du fond and snowsho'er. Its just sliding downhill this is her issue.

Advice, suggestions of instructors and contacts all welcom. Thanks. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Kenvyn, Try and sort some lessons in the UK before you go, that way she will have a head start and learn in a closed environment which should be less intimidating. Can't help with recommendations for when you go though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Try and sort some lessons in the UK before you go,

yes, would strongly agree with that. Always possible that weather/conditions aren't tip top at Easter.

If you are near one of the snowdomes, you should be able to get recommendations for instructors here. Sorry to hear the Bulgarian instructor was a failure. We hear lots of negative stuff about bulgaria, but generally positive vibes about the instructors.

If Clare can do nordique skiing (including tackling descents, not just on the flat) then she should take to downhill quite easily. Techniques similar, just far easier on hefty skis with metal edges and some sidecut. And rigid boots, so when you edge your leg, your ski edges too (can you tell I've been struggling to learn XC for the last week!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
The Lovely Mrs K is willing to try and learn to ski; after a very bad start, poorly fitting boots and Bulgarian 'instructing', she has for years resisted any suggestion of trying downhill. Now, however, she has indicated that she might take some lessons during our Easter trip to Paradiski.

What I need are some snowHead suggestions of extraordinary instructors who have experience of working with very nervous adults. Ideally this instructor would have god-like patience and excellent teaching skills, including empathy and inspiration.

Clare is a fine athlete, runner, cyclist, ski du fond and snowsho'er. Its just sliding downhill this is her issue.

Advice, suggestions of instructors and contacts all welcom. Thanks. Smile

Thanks folks, I have not expressed myself well - she will be going to the 'fridge at Castford, we are lucky enough to be in Leeds. The real quest is for people who can recommend and extra-ordinary ski instructor in the Paradiski - we own an apartment out there,so are regular visitors.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
John Arnold Newgen
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Kenvyn, there are a lot of SHs who know that area well - I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic wrote:
John Arnold Newgen
+1, or John Thomas also of NewGen. Both of them have an extremely easy, relaxed teaching style as well as being excellent instructors.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife, also quite nervous, had private lessons with a guy called Fred from Oxygene in La Plagne, said he was very good/patient/understanding.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to make a quick point, I know (and have worked with) quite a few Bulgarian instructors, and they are all both excellent teachers and really nice people. If anyone has been lucky enough to be taught by Georgie (with Fuerstauer) in Saalbach, you'll know what I mean.

Sorry can't help with Paradiski instructors, just thought that was worth mentioning in case anyone takes your post the wrong way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Kenvyn, Bruno @ Evolution in Montchavin. Easy for you to get to as well. Spotted the wife was wearing her boots purposefully loose in about 5 seconds while skiing backwards watching us. Oh how I laughed. He was great.

As well if you don't mind a drive up the mountain we just used Julien @ ESF in 2000 in January for private lessons and he got a kid still ploughing after 8 ski holidays paralleling and sking in the trees around Peisey within a day. The kid never stopped smiling. Superb English. PM me if you want his details. No need to worry, his fiance works as a manager in a shop in 1950 wink

Used ESF in Peisey. They were shoite.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Kenvyn, there are a couple of snowheads on here who instruct at XScape, maybe worth a chat with them about best options at Xscape for your wife. Certain days are better than others for nervous skiers IMHO, try and pick a day without any park features on the slope!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi

I was probably the most nervous and useless skier on the mountain, until I found a English ski instructor in La Plagne (centre) called Louisa Steiger. She works for ESF extremely patient and works a lot with nervous skiers.

Contact www.mountaincrush.co.uk to get her details.

Good Luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ian Kenvyn
Oxygene for me there are a couple of english instructors who live locally ....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My wife is a very nervous beginner who snapped her ACL on her second week! After 2 operations and 10 months recovery we went to La plagne for my wifes third week. She wanted private tuition (understandably) as a condition of going again. I had read a few reviews on here, and plumped for Reflex Ski and lessons with Christophe lagu who runs the school. His wife is from the Uk so he speaks very good english - he was a very patient and knowledgable instructor who helped her progression and confidence. Streets ahead of other instructors Ive had the pleasure of spending money on!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Euan Gardiner or Jenny Yates from Oxygene in La Plagne are very good.
latest report
I would also say Bruno from Evolution 2 in Montchavin and Francky also in Evolution 2, I know Bruno is one of the owners and as for the amount of lessons He and Francky teach or have requests it alternates from year to year. They are the top 2!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy