Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Driving from Nice to Serre Chevalier next week. After perusing maps and Michelin/AA routes there seems to be several different ways to go with conflicting advice as to which is best at this time of year. Wondered if anyone on here had driven up from the South. We have driven from Nice to Valberg no problem but much nearer than Serre Che. Have also driven from Marseille to La Joue du Loup (one route 2.5 hours)Go to the southern airports because much cheaper as I teach and have to always go in Feb half term.
The shortest D902 looks very slow via Rissoul. Is it closed in the winter? Other option seems to go via Turin or Gap any comments on either of these please. Would appreciate your experience of any of these - Going on the 11th Feb. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cannot speak for the Risoul route. The routes from Turin and Gap will be most likely to be open or passable so long as you have chains in the boot and there is not an enormous dump of snow, though via Turin does sound rather round the houses.

Have fun. The snow out there was great at New Year and it has been dumping ever since.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If by 'via Risoul' you men the Col de Vars, I wouldn't if I were you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of people come up to Serre from Marseilles etc as it's so close, so would have thought there must be directions on the main tourist office site, or get in contact with them. this time of year it will only be the main obvious routes open as all the Cols are shut (exc Col du Laut).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your replies - thought that col de vars route would probably be a no brainer but will look more closely at the Gap route. Thanks Weathercam good idea will get in touch with tourist office site - Brilliant, why didn't I think of that. Have chains - only 6 sleeps to go - Whoo Hoo.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi kay, the d2205/d902 goes over the col de la cayolle which is closed for winter, the col de vars is also frequently closed and at the moment says snow on road and snow chains needed. Try and check the info route websites below.

http://www.infotrafic.com/route.php?region=FRANC&link=cols.php?ALPS

http://www.inforoute05.fr/wir3/circulation.html

To be honest i would stay clear of these routes cutting across from the alpes maritimes to the alpes de haute provence or haute alpes.

To go via turin relies on the col de montgenevre (closed at the moment but i think normally okay).

The safest bet would be to take the a8/a51 via aix en provence and gap as there are no cols to negotiate and you can keep high average speed and less stress but it is even further than the italian route according to google.

As a compromise you might want to look at going via digne les bains (d900 and d94) which looks like it avoids the cols and is much shorter in km, but would probably take the same time as the longer autoroute journeys. (just a suggestion not done this!)

Good luck! (btw i have driven from the south to serre chevalier quite a few times this winter but your airport at nice does make your route a little long in winter).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lomg way from Nice to Marseilles but the road up from there is very straight forward and stunningly attractive as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kay, I have twice driven from to Serre Chevalier from Isola 2000 in January via DIGNES and EMBRUN That's the route ractys, mentions.

To follow that route from Nice, you would start off on the D6202 (signposted DIGNES/GRENOBLE) and go via Dignes, Embrun and Briançon. That's about 300 kms. Good roads with ups and downs in the mountains but all good and wide. Taking that route depends on checking the state of the roads and the weather. It was completely clear the times we travelled (apart from the Monte Carlo Rally which is another story of a different date). If you do take that route, do not trust a satnav blindly. A satnav doesn' t necessarily know that the real mountain passes are closed in winter. Had the weather been bad we would have taken the autoroutes via Sisteron.

Another time, however, you might look at flying Easyjet to Lyon and then motoring to Serre Chevalier? Shorter and good roads

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 5-02-12 22:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kay, we have driven from Nice. Agenterre advised us to stick to the autoroute as much as possible. We headed for Sisteron and Gap, but the route via Turin was mentioned too. Col du Montgenevre doesn't close very often, although chains can be necessary.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was also going to ask this question; have a hire car booked... Flying into Turin airport, what's the best route and are snow chains really necessary? Haven't looked at possible routes as yet, any opinions on the best?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have done the Digne route, the Turin route and the Aix route at various points, and all have been fine. The Turin one felt like a harder drive - although plenty of motorway, I didn't find it as easy driving as the motorways for the Aix route. The Digne route is shorter, really interesting and pretty, but not fast; I would only do it if the weather was nice (i.e. not rainy etc.) and would also not bother if you have car sick prone folk with you. The Aix route is the easiest driving certainly, and not exactly unpleasent driving through Provence whichever way you look at it. Have a good trip whichever way you choose!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kay, Hi You have 2 choices -- my standard routes to the Alps so do frequently.

Either autoroute thru France or Italy, depends whether you turn left or right out of Nice airport which is 200m from the A8 autoroute -- France A8 then A51: Italy A8 , A10(?) then A6 close to Turin.

I would go French route as it is a little less stressful. You would think that the drive from Nice to Savona is fun ... it isnt .. endless tunnels , loads of big trucks on a 2-lane motorway.

Route Napoleon takes for ever ( although great fun in the summer) and is dangerous at the moment anyway so really is not an option. Ignore other options or you will curse us when you get back!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
junglist_matty, we've done rental car from Turin twice - and I don't think we had snow chains and took a gamble, seem to recall was pretty bad after a night in La Grave getting back over the Col du L driving behind a gendarme all the way with me maybe being slightly over the limit, and then up the Col du Montgenevre as we were staying in Montgenevre - was a crazy idea to go and see some friends in LG and have dinner rolling eyes

As Hells Bells, says Col du Mont does not close as frequently as the Col du Laut - but might be advisable to rent chains, if I had not this year when we flew in at New Year and rented a car we'd have been in big doo doo and do check the chains are in good condition before setting off from the airport.

We often go to Turin to meet and take friends who come out to stay with us, if ever doing that, you can park up in Caselle which is right by the airport, wait in one of the many cafes in the piazza and when your friends are waiting for their baggage they call you, and by the time you get to the airport (5 mins) they are coming out, works really well!

And there is only one route from the Airport, around the Autostrada and turn off following the signs for Rivoli Frejus - and near Oulx keep your wits about you and look out for the signs to Francia / Cessana Clavierrre as you do NOT want to be taking the main autoroute to Frejus as there are no turns for a long way, believe me for I have made that mistake!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=45.07643,7.132874&spn=0.589618,1.454315&t=m&z=10
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers Weathercam... For £35 I think I'll just get some chains with the car just for peace of mind, don't want to end up stuck somewhere!

URL Code isn't great on this forum... Will just delete link, its screwing with page width!!!

Where is the col du L?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
junglist_matty, you needn't worry about the Lauteret, you won't be going over it.
latest report
Thanks so very much for all your help - Will look into them -(rang the french tourist board but they said they could not comment and just passed as to the michelin site.) Sounds like the french autoroute will be the best bet at this time of year - Thanks Ractys for the travel info websites. We have got chains booked, have only had to use them once in La Joue du Loup, have been lucky. We usually do look for a flight to Grenoble/ Lyon and failing that Marseille - but as I said have to go in school holidays when flights rocket and this year missed getting in quickly with Easyjet - still if Serre Che is as good as lots of you are saying I will make sure I get in early next year.
Thanks again everybody - Happy skiing. snowHead
latest report
Kay, Good Luck .. I live nr Nice. You look to be making the right decision. Add Toulon to your standby list, and Genova for Italian Alps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy