Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

please recommend me a daypack that works on a chairlift.

Poster: A snowHead
I currently use the Dakine HeliPro DXL backpack. This is fine for when we are skiing off piste (and so have all avi equipment etc), however when skiing with the kids on relatively short pistes, I find it too big and bulky for the few bits I like to carry around - particularly when going on/off chairlifts.

Can anyone recommend a daypack that is designed with a low profile so to worn on a chairlift?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1556garyt, Decathlon do quite a slim, cheap, one which is designed to kind of slide round to your front, for chairlifts, without taking the straps off.

http://www.decathlon.fr/reverse-one-id_8187688.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a the Deuter Speedlite 10 and can highly recommend it. It was comfy to wear and i had no problems on the chairlifts what so ever.
http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/alpine_+_snowsport/all_alpine_+_snowsport/deuter_speed_lite_10/320/
If a 10 is not big enough they do larger sizes.
http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/alpine_+_snowsport/all_alpine_+_snowsport/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Black Diamond Covert 22
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BCA Stash OB - includes freezeproof 2 litre hydration and will also carry your avi kit on a chairlift.

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/stash-ob/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for the stash. I love mine and it's about the smallest bag that can take avi kit. One grip is a poor ski carry system, although the next one up in the range has a much better one.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have the one pam w, links to - does the job well, not too big and a great price. Bought in a Quecha shop in St Gervais but maybe available here?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
1556garyt, Decathlon do quite a slim, cheap, one which is designed to kind of slide round to your front, for chairlifts, without taking the straps off.

http://www.decathlon.fr/reverse-one-id_8187688.html

We have one. The slide around thing is a gimmick, a faff, I'd like to hear from anyone who can get it to slide round easily. That said, they can be very cheap, depends on colour and they are slim enough to stay on your back anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Decathlon one works a treat - release the clip on the LH shoulder strap and pull the 'sac round, it rotates around the waist belt - it then sits on your chest while you ride the lift. pull it back round onto your back and reclip the shoulder strap - simples!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Decathlon one as pam w recommends. I wear it on my back, it's not big enough to be an issue on lifts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I wear it on my back, it's not big enough to be an issue on lifts.

some of the lifts I use, it is - lifts seem to vary enormously. One one or two I feel really vulnerable with anything pushing me forward, and with others it's not a problem.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hairybiker, obviously the OH needs more practice Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought Dakine Heli Pack 11l. Not arrived yet though, but supposed to be slim and looks quality.
We only need it to carry a few drinks and camera so should be enough I hope.

http://www.dakine.com/p/ski/packs/guys/heli-pack

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm very impressed with my Da Kine Heli pack.

The outer flap takes my lid when flying to resort and holds a shovel blade when off piste, ski carry is excellent for hikes and there is still room inside for drink bladder, couple of thin layers, snacks, spare gloves, probe, camera and some bits.

It sits very flat and straps on well - no problem at all on the ski lifts even with the shovel head in the back pouch and handle in the side carry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be careful on lifts which have a notice to remove packs, I was politely told in Val d' that if I wanted to use the lift perhaps I might like to take it off, several lifts in Killy Espace have bars that will hit your helmet if slightly forward with a pack, I am a new helmet wearer so was particularly aware.
snow report
Cynic wrote:
Be careful on lifts which have a notice to remove packs, I was politely told in Val d' that if I wanted to use the lift perhaps I might like to take it off, several lifts in Killy Espace have bars that will hit your helmet if slightly forward with a pack, I am a new helmet wearer so was particularly aware.

It's not very common even on chairs that have signs on them. I have been asked/told to take mine off only once in many years of wearing one - this year in Flaine.
snow conditions
Regular helipack or if you're feeling hardcore this: http://www.garmontusa.com/380007.html
ski holidays
Tiger2, was that the small 2 man chair that goes up to the top of the great un pisted black? This is the only lift I've ever been told to take mine off.
snow report
I use a small Berghaus 'hydration pack' rucksack, but without any of the water pipes and stuff in it. It is almost *exactly* the right size to carry gloves, goggles, bottle of water, bag of crisps, sun cream and a banana. And nothing more. Pretty inconspicuous, low profile, and have never been asked to take it off.
snow report
k1orange, I was with somebody on the lift on the beginners "slope" (the flat one that goes uphill in places...) in the middle of Flaine when he was told to take it off.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's not very common even on chairs that have signs on them. I have been asked/told to take mine off only once in many years of wearing one - this year in Flaine.

Depends where you go. Last year in Avoriaz it was really annoying - all the lifties were making you take off even samll low prifile bags. Aparently there had been an accident recently with a kid getting caught by his backpak, but that could have just been rumour.
snow report
+1 for Deuter, got the Venom with a built-in back protector, excellent kit.
latest report
kat.ryb, I believe it was true, and I think the kids concerned died.
snow conditions
I use the Dakine Heli Pack 11L when i'm on and around piste and really like it on chairlifts don't feel like i'm hanging of the fron with it on
ski holidays
I got a single cross strap bag last year for pootling around. It's quite handy to be able to be able to quickly move it to the front for lifts. The Decathlon one looks quite interesting though.
ski holidays
Quote:

I believe it was true, and I think the kids concerned died.

Yep. Very sad thread about it - last year, IIRC? Sad I don't see why people make such a fuss about having to take a backpack off on a chairlift.
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Depends where you go. Last year in Avoriaz it was really annoying - all the lifties were making you take off even samll low prifile bags. Aparently there had been an accident recently with a kid getting caught by his backpak, but that could have just been rumour.

Spent 3 days boarding in Avoriaz last year in March, i.e. after that tragic incident, and not once was I asked to remove my backpack.

I use a Diosaz Raid 10Team Backpack/Hydration pack from Decathlon.
Although I have the previous version:

Very slimline (even with the full 2L bladder, a light fleece, goggle lense, board toolkit and some personal effects/camera) so that I can keep it on lifts and still feel comfortable/safe....

Just don't leave any straps/leads loose or hanging down..
ski holidays
Quote:

Yep. Very sad thread about it - last year, IIRC? I don't see why people make such a fuss about having to take a backpack off on a chairlift.

Just becasue it adds an additional level of 'faffing' into an already faf-filled lift situation where you have to unclip your back foot. Anyway, as a result of having to take it off all the time in Avoriaz I now don't wear one and its actually a lot nicer to be without.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FYI the Stash OB is on sale at Facewest.co.uk for £54 Very Happy
snow report
Ortovox Cross Rider, great 22L day sack c/w back protector
snow conditions
Deuter Pace 20. Stunning bag, fits a ridiculous amount for its size, robust and ski chair friendly. I have one and ski with it almost exclusively.
latest report
The only time I ever had problems with a backpack was when I took it off on a chair. The buckle dropped through a slot and caught. Never had trouble wearing my Dakine Heli... think it's the 20l one.
snow report
Got a Wed'ze Reverse (28 Euro) last week and it works pretty well. They didn't have any in the Decathlon in Thonon but managed to find one in the Skimium shop in Morillon 1100
latest report
May be late on this but used an Osprey Karve 11 in Austria for a week. Great bag, just the right size and it even carried my skis on an uphill trudge. Highly recommended.
latest report
Just an question a serious question - what do people actually put in their sacks?

I can understand it for off piste where serious montaineering issues are involved such as risk of benightment, changes in weather etc. but what goes into an on piste skiers rucksack?
snow report
I normally carry a spare layer in mine, water bottle, a few snacks and my goggles if its a sunny day. Also my camera.
snow report
That naff dakine pictured above seems to have about 10 different devices for attaching oneself to the chairlift.

You want one with no pockets, d-rings, straps, flaps, clips, claps, traps ect ect
latest report
johnE, if I'm staying in a resort, I don't bother with a backpack.

If I'm just on a day trip, then: dried fruit, small water bottle, sun block, lip balm, goggles/sunglasses depending on what I'm wearing, swiss purse with bank cards (euros in pockets), hairbrush, ski carry strap, hat + scood + wrist warmers if i'm not wearing them, and my swiss phone (UK phone with internatonal data roaming in pocket, swiss phone doesnt have data roaming).

I've got a small low profile dakine backpack - few straps or pockets, rather girlie colours that match my jacket etc Smile
ski holidays
The Arva patroller 18 is a very nice slimline ruck sack. Worth looking at.

http://en.arva-equipment.com/fiche/patroller-18-1.html
snow conditions
Pretty happy with my Wed'ze Reverse bought last year. In Switzerland we are not forced to take rucksacks off on the lifts so I don't normally swivel it unless I actually want to open the bag on the lift.

One thing that concerns me though. A couple of weeks ago there was a tragic accident in Hoch Ybrig where a woman's rucksack got trapped in the chairlift. She could not get off, the lift stopped too late and she fell 7m and was killed.

I guess if the bag is in front of you it is perhaps less likely to snag on something but ultimately you are still attached to it. Thoughts?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy