Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flipping snow has started

Poster: A snowHead
Shops were closing early this afternoon in Wilmslow...there's about 2-3cm FFS rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah,

Where's Wilmslow?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pollster, Cheshire (posh bit near Manchester)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everything is beautiful and white here. But probably only 4-5cm deep so far. Drive home from work was OK, hurrah for winter tyres and all-weather drive mode!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, we can't take the mick about being un prepared - I've been told
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing here yet apart from rain in North Wales. Had freezing rain turning the pavements into knobbly skating rinks in Whitchurch this afternoon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, Aren't you our 'man on the ground'?

Saw two gritters with ploughs on on the m56 today. I bet they've got a shed load of gritting salt stocked up after last year
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freezing rain here, was liking the earlier snowflakes but they've quickly been replaced. south mancs is soggy and looks likely to freeze, also looks to be lots of low cloud but that doesn't excuse the buffoon on the m56 blinding everyone with fog lights.

i wants snow, please Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
None in our corner of Essex yet, bar the lightest of dustings of icing sugar last night, which didn't even completely cover the ground - could still stick a finger between the flakes on the ground. FraserP reported that the roads North of Manchester were considerably dodgy early afternoon.

Yep thats where I was planning to go tomorrow Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jake43, Can't you go to your own dome? wink

Shimmy Alcott, thanks, posh ha ha Laughing

kittya, agreed, it's gone like very crunchy granulated sugar now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing in Clapham Junction now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott, We ploughed up to save time if it fell. It is pretty fiddly connecting up all the hydraulics and getting everything in line. Means we can be on the road immediately after shift change.

We never even ran out last year Toofy Grin Some local authorities did but we can't take a chance with the motorway network.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, Ah, that's good to know.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wet snow falling in reading .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just made a snowball so not powder here then......
ski holidays
The thing to do is to drive around prepared, then it doesn't snow! Since early December I've been driving to and fro to Gt Yarmouth with everything that is recommended (apart from the daft birth cert. requirement which I can't work out the necessity of) and have scarcely seen a flake!
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Jake43, Can't you go to your own dome? wink

Why don'y you want to share. Madeye-Smiley

It is actually just the same time to get to either for me and as we had a broken leg last year, he want to try the computer based DIN setting machine they have there. We are pretty convinced that he was on a far too high setting - which did not release the ski early enough. Though not sure we will win an argument with the ski rental place.... but this is a whole new thread.
latest report
Quote:

that doesn't excuse the buffoon on the m56 blinding everyone with fog lights

that's so, so, annoying, isn't it? AFAIK it's actually illegal to use fog lights if the vis doesn't warrant it. The worst of it is that the buffoon is probably congratulating himself on being the one in the know. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Sth Manchester, freezing rain turned to snow. Now clear skies and freezing wonderfully! It's going to be interesting in the morning.
snow report
Still snowing here. In fact it's gotten a bit heavier. My earlier footprints are totally buried now.
ski holidays
FraserP, I hope you get away without problems and have a trouble-free journey down. I was surprised to find that around half the cars arriving in Les Saisies today had chains on - but the roads are pretty slippery, I suppose, though we've had only trickles of snow for a few days. I was OK with my snow tyres but I noticed the ski bus driver being what I thought was hyper-cautious when I drove behind her. About 8 mph. Then she pulled into the next stop and came gently to a halt. As I passed I noted that whilst the bus was still moving the front wheels weren't. Skullie

I hope you won't encounter too many of those drivers who assure us they set their cruise control for 140 kph and only stop every 4 hours. wink
snow report
Snow started around 11am up at Rossendale and by 3pm we were skiing on snow, not dendix snowHead By 4pm it was a white out, had to use the tractor on the car park and driveways. By the time we all left at 6pm the slope was well covered with nice dry powder. Journey home was a bit tricky 20mph on motorways. Looking at the forecast and temps, it should be a fantastic day on Sunday. Will pop a quick video on when i work out how to Puzzled
snow report
Jake43, broken leg Shocked very sorry to hear that. Yes CFe have a machine, but don't rely on it or the youngsters dishing out the kit, I would work out yourself what you would expect the DIN to be and check to ensure no gross errors.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

that doesn't excuse the buffoon on the m56 blinding everyone with fog lights

that's so, so, annoying, isn't it? AFAIK it's actually illegal to use fog lights if the vis doesn't warrant it. The worst of it is that the buffoon is probably congratulating himself on being the one in the know. Evil or Very Mad

Front fog lights can be used legally in fog and falling snow as far as I am aware

Any other time is driving with intent to dazzle or something
ski holidays
pam w, We have our fingers crossed for a good journey. We'll be in my motor, and that had new snowflake/mountain tyres last years and only literally did the alps and back on them last season. This year I've run on them since start December, but I won't have done more than another thousand on them tops. They should therefore still be in pretty good nick. FraserP, got me weissenfal self tightening snow chains for Xmas and we had a play with them so that base is covered and we share the driving Very Happy
ski holidays
Snowing hard for the last hour here, Good luck to all those heading to Gatwick tomorrow!
latest report
Anybody thinking of driving in the Midlands, it has snowed a lot harder in the last hour and things are getting quite difficult. I only need to go 7 miles tomorrow, but might not go out if it stays like this.

snowHead
snow report
SnowIng hard.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I thought you were flying?
ski holidays
The law says you MUST NOT use foglights (front or rear) unless vis is seriously reduced - that's a matter of judgement, obviously. I find that too much light is a positive handicap in heavy snow - you just tend to light up the snowflakes and make it harder to see past them.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Ah, you are the second to be confused. I am skiing with FraserP, and the kids leaving next Friday over the half-term - we are driving to the alps then and are off to Austria. In the summer holidays I am flying to Switzerland with the kids to see my friend (Minimum_1's Godmother)
latest report
Chris Bish, driving to Stansted airport. Need to get there 5.30 am. OH says set off 2.00 am. I am having a nervous breakdown and want to set off much earlier. He is driving so his decision. I am therefore drinking! And deep breathing .....
snow report
maggi, ommmmmm.....

Take care, both of you, and have a good holiday! Smile
ski holidays
Nells, you gonna have a ski tomorrow? Toofy Grin
snow report
maggi, sympathies. Difficult dilemma; hope you make it in good time.

We are supposed to be driving back to UK on Tuesday butit will still be freezing hard right through France. I'm not a nervous driver, am very used to the drive, have snow tyres and am quite happy to reduce speed markedly. It's all the other daft boogers which worry me. If Bison Futé still has France on Orange Alert for ice (and snow in the north, too, which brings things to a halt PDQ) we might delay our departure, though it will mean missing 2 year old grand-daughter's birthday on Weds.
snow conditions
Jake43,
http://youtube.com/v/EDrd-wSxyBQ lots more came down after this snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/IjgXRdfXTP4

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 4-02-12 21:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Pedantica, it's looking hopeful snowHead do you want us to pick you up from the station? Toofy Grin
snow report
It's raining in Pompey, any snow close by?

I'm staying in bed all day tomorrow if it does snow.
snow report
Nothing but rain here in Bournemouth, although the sea froze at Sandbanks this morning.
ski holidays
Nells, if I weren't off games I'd come like a shot!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy