Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time ski trip to Arinsal :-)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Have just found this site and find it really helpful. 4 of us are going to Arinsal on 3rd March and cant wait, my husband and I have never skied away from the UK before so just have a few questions.

Ski hire and lift passes- would it be cheaper to hire before we go online or wait till we get there ?? We are going with Neilson, so far have found skis, boots and poles for £57 with snowbrainer, anyone used them before ?

Also what are the costs like for eating out, we are bed & breakfast staying at Aparthotel Pobablo.

Any info would be great Mr. Green snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you going to take lessons? if so Neilson probably offer an "all inclusive" package including lessons, hire and pass which is (or was) great value. Arinsal is a lovely little town and was pretty good value when I last went (2007). Not that much on the mountain - you are best to come down the bubble for lunch which might be a pain but the choice and quality is much better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blondie14, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

We found the cafe at the bottom of the green run really good value, I am sure you could get burger, chips and a drink (cold weather junk food, isnt it great?) for less than £5, fair point Nadenoodlee, the choice is limited, and we did head down for lunch once or twice, but pro's and con's, the choice and quality was better but the price higher.

Arinsal is great for a first time ski trip, have a great time
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The number one tip for Arinsal is this.....and do not under estimate it.

Hire a ski locker at the top of the gondola, hire your own from the office up there and not from your tour operator.

If you do this you can walk comfortably to the gondola in the morning in your shoes and ride up and get kitted out up top, otherwise you will be knackered before you start.
If you get a private locker then they are in a heated room and you can leave you boots up there for the morning. That way when you get off the gondola on the way down you can go straight across the road to ciscos bar and have a few beers.

Your rep will try to sell you a locker up there as part of their sales patter but they use a large cage when all the customers dump their kit. It is only unlocked at certain times and you cannot leave boots.
Don't get ripped off

A great resort for beginners but once you can ski you won't go back...too small
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS.

We stayed in the Poblado, its the best located place in Arinsal, right next to the gondola... The bar underneath does nice food and quite cheap.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 3-02-12 21:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snapzzz wrote:
PS.

We stayed in the Poblado, its the best located place in Arinsal, right next to the gondola... The bar underneath does nice food and quite cheap.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Starting to feel like a stuck record - get a Vallnord card. Will get you 10% discount on your lift pass/lessons/ski hire if you decide to arrange in resort and costs nothing... also gives you a discount on food and drink up the mountain
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blondie14, welcome to snowHeads.

The advice from Snapzzz about your own locker is spot on.

I was there on a half board basis about 5 years ago, so not best placed to answer the question on food. However, right by the gondola there is (well, was) an Argentinian restaurant - huge portions, amazing value.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi blondie, I live in Arinsal, (moved for tax reasons with skiing being a bonus) the argentine restaurant that chassur mentions is called Surf and is well worth a visit, there are plenty of other places to eat out all with varying budgets. I don't bother with a ski locker but I guess that depends on how fit you are. Arcalis is worth a bus trip if you fancy some more skiing variation. I hope you have a great time, we have had lots of snow over the past week, so I hope the conditions stay good for your trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't go telling peeps about Arcalis wink - far too many people imo made the trek up the hill at Christmas as no snow elsewhere!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey thanks for all your replys, REALLY getting excited now, have signed up for the Vallnord card so will get lift passes when we get there.

I so hope the snow conditions stay good just over 3 weeks to go Happy

Has anyone else been at the beginning of march ? snowHead

And def going to visit Arcalis Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Miguel and Betty both fantastic instructors at Arcalis if you wanted to book an hour or 2 lessons whilst up there (you can ring ski office and ask for them by name and girl on desk speaks good English so not a taxing job). Sure the snow will be excellent - we have always been half term week (ie next week or week after) and had an excellent time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So how did you find it? Did you eat in Surf? Make it to Arcalis?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i am in Arinsal at the moment...bad weather has stopped play for the day. Had dinner at Surf last night, food was amazing, massive portion and not expensive. Arcalis is well worth a trip although i too don't want too many people finding it has me a friend had a slope to ourselves Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
try arinsal.co.uk for ski hire used them a few times they use st moritz at the top of the gondola good service.Check the lift pass price with your to they are often cheaper than buying in resort but as has already been said if you are going to book lessons/lift pass and ski hire the to will normally offer a very good deal which is normally only pre bookable and not available in resort.
latest report
Ordino Arcalis - Wow, what a place, well worth the bus ride from Arinsal.
One hidden gem of a resort and some beautiful runs, I got a bit carried away on my old Atomic GS racers and managed to knock myself out there. Always worn a helmet since. Happy days Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy