Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First trip to mayrhofen - hints and tips please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I posted this in the wrong topic category previously, still getting to grips with the site sorry, any replies wouls be most welcome

Hi all

I am a newbie on here and this is my first post.

We are going to Mayrhofen for the first time in March and any help, advice and tips would be most welcome, but I do have some specific questions that I would like help on.

Where is good for apres in mayrhofen?
My girlfriend is a new skier, which ski school would you recommend? and what runs/area would be best for her to start off at.
Also which is the easiest red for her to try after we have exhausted the blues?

Is there any of the areas that I should avoid with a new skier?

We are also going to ski the hintertux glacier just up the road are there any other resorts close by that could be worth a days excursion.

Thanks in advance for your help and tips
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think there are about 6 to 7 unlinked areas in Zillertal Valley with which a 4 or more days ski pass automatically entitle a holder to ski all of them. The ticket can be brought at any of the areas.

Hitertux is the last resort after Mayrhofen which is one of the largest areas. The other large areas are before Mayrhofen, notably Zillertal Arena and Kaltenbach which are comparable in size to Mayrhofen. Mayrhofen itself has at least 4 separate access gondolas dotted along the valley.

If you stay in Mayrhofen there is a small area called Ahorn within walking distance from Penkenberg gondolas. This one has a few blue runs and should be suitable for the newbies.

Newbies should stay away from the black runs of Mayrhofen which is known to have the steepest groomed piste, called Harakiri, in Austria.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee wrote:
stay away from the black runs of Mayrhofen which is known to have the steepest groomed piste, called Harakiri, in Austria.

According to mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com, Harikari is 78%.
Austria's steepest groomed slope here in Mayrhofen. With an avarage incline of 78 percent (!),

But at Steiner-am-Brenner, there is an steeper run. From http://www.bergeralm.net/press.html :
Sporty skiers & boarders can prove their ability to stay upright on the “Manni Pranger” world championship run in Steinach am Brenner at the Bergeralm Ski & Leisure Arena.
The slope features a gradient of 46 degrees (102 percent) maximum.

When I skied Steiner in early January, unfortunately rolling eyes the run was closed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gsn77, Welcome to Snowheads. The most popular apres ski bar is the Ice Bar, its next to the Penken Gondola so you can't miss it. For later in the evening Scotland Yard, Mo's and the Sports Bar in the Strass hotel are all popular.

As for ski schools, the two biggest are Die Roten Profis and SMT with the latter having the better reputation from what I have heard although I haven't used either personally. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about which runs to start her off or to progress to, the ski school will sort her out. There are quite a few blue runs in the resort so its unlikely you'll exhaust all of those. A lot of beginners are taken up the Ahorn which is the smaller mountain in Mayrhofen. Its mainly very gentle blue runs with a couple of reds one of which is the excellent Ahornbahn down to the village. Its long and ticky though so I wouldn't recommend you taking your girlfriend down. If you are up the Ahorn check out the Ahorhutte restaurant. Its owned by the former Olympic and World Cup Downhill skier Uli Speiss and is full of his memorabilia and a couple of Olympic bronze medals his mother won. There is also an Ice hotel up there, the White Lounge which is worth looking around.

Whatever you do don't take her down the Harikiri Shocked She'll soon be you ex girlfriend. As saikee, pointed out there are a lot of other area in the valley but if your girlfriend is a complete beginner and is going to be in ski school every day you won't have time to go anywhere else.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have skied in the Mayerhofen area three times in the last three year. Ther are further options for accessing the Penken mountain area from other lifts in the valley above Mayerhofen, on the road up the valley to the HIntertux glacier area. You can get a lift up from Finkenberg, and also Vorderlanersbach, which are villages in the valley. There are good après ski bars in each of these villages, which are pretty busy from 4.30pm to 7pm. The atmosphere is super cheesy but addictive.
There is really good skiing up at Hintertux, which is snow sure, and one of the best areas IMHO for lift accessed off-piste skiing in Europe. There is a really nice mix of slopes for mixed abilities up there, although complete newbies might find the home run tricky, and prefer the bubble lift back down. There is also a big après ski bar at the bottom in HIntertux itself.
The ski bus service up and down the valley is free for ski pass holders, and very efficient, running every half hour. Always have been able to get on and have seat. This lets you choose where to ski depending on the conditions. Our hotel had a TV channel running the live webcams, so you could choose where to go at first light.

This is also possible as you tend to do your après ski straight off he slopes, go for dinner, and then collapse. This is the opposite off the French style, which tends to kick of later.

We have had brilliant trips to this area and would recommend it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You will have a brilliant time. It's not just about Mayrhofen i'ts the whole of the Zillertal. It is a friendly, accessible area with runs for all abilities (I'm starting to sound like a tourist brochure). Apres ski is excellent, though as has been mentioned tends to be literrally straight off the slopes then dies for afew hours. Mo's bar does an interesting range of cocktails and if you make it to Kaltenbach I recommend the bar at the end of the valley run.
It's so good we're going again next week Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is a characteristic of the Austrian resorts. For apres just follow the loud music when you exit from the bottom station. This rule is applicable to Kaltenback, Zillertal Arena and Mayrhofen. In fact most of the large Austrian resorts are like that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheers for all the help and advice, can't wait counting down now,
Looking forward to the skiing, scenery all followed up by several apres beers.
Think we will definitely try both sides of Mayrhofen itself (penken and ahorn) and also have a trip out to Hintertux not sure we will manage anything further, will have to see how my girlfriend gets on with the lessons and how she is doing on the slopes as to whether we manage to squeeze in another resort. Pretty sure she will manage the apres side of things just fine so any more bar selections let me know but like the general rule from saikee will defo employ that criteria. Does it also follow the louder the better?
have a great time when you are there robapplegate and give me the low down when you are back.

Thankfully got a boys skiing holiday to look forward to before this one as seeing all the webcams and not being there is killing me
Happy skiing all of you

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I visited Mayrhofen for the first time at Christmas and thought it was a great place to ski - we went to Ahorn on the first day but it is not as big an area as it looks, though it was nice and quiet. There is so much skiing in the Zillertal area, we feel we only covered some of it, including Kaltenbach which I thought was good, with nice long runs. If you are looking for private tuition I can't recommend Roy highly enough - we spent two days with him and he is pretty much the best ski instructor I have encountered and a good entertaining guy too. This is the link to his website - though he may be already booked up: www.zillerthriller.com

Try out the Hari Kiri Bar in town on the main street for an apre ski drink, if you dont want to stay up the mountain - great Aperol Spritzers!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get up early. Great resort but only one lift, Penkenbahn, up to main area. Can get quite crowded between 9.30 and 10 30 but you'll walk on without a queue before this time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually another way to get up to main area is to take the bus round to the Horbergbahn - this is a much quieter gondola and gets you to all the same areas - doesnt take too long in the bus and beats the Penken queue and also is a much more comfortable ride up with less crowded cabins.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Zillertal area is addictive. You can never tire of the place because of the variety, the kms available, the apres ski and great places to eat. I would highly recommend the area.
Mayrhofen is very popular in particular. In addition to the comments already made- it's got some good beginner slopes to start off with. Once you're onto the reds be careful with the run down to the the lift that takes you back down to Mayrhofen-this can tend to get quite carved up later in the day and as a result can become quite bumpy for beginners.

I enjoyed the Hochzillertal reds more than the Penken when I was starting out. Hochzillertal links up with Hochfugen aswell.

The superski pass covers all the areas in the Zillertal valley- try them all. I still have not visited the Zillertal Arena.

Enjoy. I went at Christmas seems like a lifetime ago.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dang, Addictive indeed, leave tomorrow for 3rd visit in 12 months! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robapplegate wrote:
Dang, Addictive indeed, leave tomorrow for 3rd visit in 12 months! Very Happy

Not jealous Going green
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy