Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ice hotels

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone ever stayed at an ice hotel? They will have an ice hotel at Sun Peaks this winter and if we end up going to Sun Peaks it sounds very tempting to stay a night there, looks like it would cost about £150 each. Anyone got any experiences of them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red hot in bed = Steaming followed by big wet patch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit like the Isle of Wight ferry, then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

A bit like the Isle of Wight ferry, then

Did'nt that one go something like... What's brown, steams and comes out of Cowes backwards? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB Laughing, I hope not Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cathy Coins, is DB, trying to tell us something here Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, I'm really hoping he's not speaking of his own experiences Shocked Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see that snowHeads is not the only one to have an Ambassador. Yup, looks like similar duties that ours performs for new visitors to our 'hotel' Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cathy Coins, a co-worker went to a sales meeting at the ice hotel in Sweden a couple of years back. I asked him how it was, and he told me that it wasn't the most comfortable night he's spent in a hotel. I can imagine why...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife and I spent three nights at the ice hotel in sweden, two in regular accomadation and one in an ice room. To be honest I would probably have preferred to spend all three nights in the regular accomadation. It was great to have a look around the hotel and have a drink in the bar etc. but the actual night was not very comfortable. You are tightly packed into a heavy sleeping bag with just a bit of your face exposed and the "bed" is an ice slab covered with foam and reindeer skins. I like to stretch out and roll around a bit in bed but this wasn't really possible. Also getting up to go to the toilet is a bit of a mission. We ended up getting up and going to breakfast at around 7am, and there were quite a few others up and about already including some who were sleeping on the benches in the area where you store your bags. Some people love it but for me it was about as comfortable as going camping and much more expensive.

We had a great time overall, especially enjoyed an all day husky trip we did, where you had your own dog team and drove the whole day yourself, and I would love to go back, but just wouldn't stay in an ice room again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks JohnnyC and aseeto, that's really helpful. I have heard too that getting a good night's sleep is not very common at temps of -5 to -8 C! At the moment I'm thinking we won't book a night in advance but you can pay to go inside and have a drink in the bar etc. Might just do that and if there are any rooms free may decide then whether to book for a night. It's going to be quite an expensive holiday and this may be one expense too far, for an uncomfortable night.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cathy Coins, I would say that personnally it would give you the same number of bragging rights to be able to say that you had a Vin Chaud in an ice hotel as it would if you had spent a night in one. The fact so few people have even seen one let alone gone in one means both are quite impressive. I would have a beer in it then sleep cosy in my standard wooden chalet afterward with a big beer induced smile. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ginger winger, Very Happy Very Happy

Yup - I think that's what we're thinking. The bar has glasses made out of ice you drink from - perhaps a vin chaud not that good from one of them. Very Happy On the other hand, hope your lips don't stick to a ice glass Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's an ice bar open in Mayfair now if you want a taster - called the Absolut Ice Bar I think.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
conor, I thought first of all, don't be silly, in London?? But looks like you're right Very Happy Opens 1 October, if anyone goes report back here please or indeed if I go I'll report back.
snow report
Well it looks like the ice bar in London has opened - although for £12 to go inside for 45 mins don't think I'll be venturing there. And I don't like vodka.
latest report
£12 to drink at a melting bar from a melting cup. What would the ash trays be made of anyway Puzzled
snow report
As an add on, does anyone konw anything about Tromso? the girlfriend and i looked at the whole three nights and ice hotel bit, but thought it might be good to go to Tromso as a city break for five days.

Looks like a sure bet if we didn't fancy the three days out in the middle of nowhere (I would like to point out that skiing and huskis etc are not her thing)

Any advice?
snow conditions
Cathy Coins, like aseeto, I've also stayed at Sweden's Ice Hotel. Great experience, but make sure you squeeze like mad on the pre-bed loo trip - it really isn't great if you then have to get up in the wee hours, so to speak! Seeing the Northern Lights with no ambient light is quite stunning and going out to lasoo some reindeer before harnessing them to your sledge was fun.

Food is quite pricey - captive audience I guess - but the quality was excellent and I recommend trying reindeer fillet - mouth watering!

My (now ex) wife and I went early January time and it can get a bit cold. -35 on 2 days, so take your ski clothing and put the Ice Hotel one-piece on over the top. You might look like a Michelin Man, but it's worth it.

I'm not sure if it's a regular feature now, but in 2003 and 2004 they built a scaled down replica of the Globe Theatre where they put on Shakespear productions. You need to book performances well in advance as I gather tickets go very fast, but it's quite fascinating.

Something like 50% or so of the visitors to the Ice Hotel go back, so I guess there must be something about the place. I'd definitely go again.
snow report
Thanks Mark, although the ice hotel we were thinking of going to is in Canada, so no Northern Lights and I'm not too sure about the lasooing either Very Happy . Anyway we've decided not to stay a night - we'll go and have a drink and a look round and I think that'll be enough experience. Unless we decide once we're there to book a night.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy