Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A video for anybody who hasn't skied the Sella Ronda!!! and S8BB skiers 8-)

Poster: A snowHead
Very Happy

Found this very high quality Vid on you-tube : it is of a tour around the sella ronda (clockwise...)

5 min version -
http://youtube.com/v/Ld1RwNgQG0M

10 min version -
http://youtube.com/v/-kquvLTtXeo

Not sure what year it was filmed in tho' !! - snow looks very good Madeye-Smiley

I do hope it hasn't been posted before --- if so Apologies !!!!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh - liked that. Thanks.

We didn't manage to get all the way aorund when were were there the other week due to high winds, but recognised most of these pistes from the bits we did do.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob, lovely video, definitely not this year as there is a new lift up towards Campitello this year and the video shows the old one. (I am not a lift-nerd, it's just that it is a vast improvement - the start is lower so no uphill skiing and also no rather dangerous corssing of the piste).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

there is a new lift up towards Campitello this year

oh?

will watch teh vids later (not doing yuotube from work).
quite a few MTB sella ronda tours on there too (similar, but slightly different routes), and some 3D goggle earth view over-flight vids.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gnarlies might scoff at the 'motorways' but the beauty of those mountains is hard to beat. Just gorgeous, I can't wait to go back there. According to my photographic record, I last did the Sella Ronda 33 years ago! Shocked In fact that's the only time I've skied in the Dolomites, though I've hiked there quite a bit. I stayed in Canazei and remember that the first uplift of the day was up the old Campitello chair: I was so cold by the time I got to the top, that I was often forced to consume a large grappa before 1000am - not my normal hour to start drinking!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica wrote:
Gnarlies might scoff at the 'motorways' but the beauty of those mountains is hard to beat.

We found it very dull indeed, and are not 'gnarlies'. Certainly stunning, but not even a mogul in the entire Dolomites, just miles of gently sloping pistes with no need ever to make a turn, some of the pistes actually going UP hill requiring loads of pole use. Very sadly we're not rushing to go back.

Not a place I'd imagine anybody goes for the skiing; for the skiing holiday, maybe.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, you may not be a gnarly, but you're a champion scoffer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
just miles of gently sloping pistes with no need ever to make a turn

That's simply wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica wrote:
Gnarlies might scoff at the 'motorways' but the beauty of those mountains is hard to beat. Just gorgeous, I can't wait to go back there. According to my photographic record, I last did the Sella Ronda 33 years ago! Shocked In fact that's the only time I've skied in the Dolomites, though I've hiked there quite a bit. I stayed in Canazei and remember that the first uplift of the day was up the old Campitello chair: I was so cold by the time I got to the top, that I was often forced to consume a large grappa before 1000am - not my normal hour to start drinking!

if you go agn, you will be amazed by the improvement in the lift system !! - e.g. the series of drag lifts from colfosco to selva have gone (thank God !!).
there is a downside to these improvements --- crowding - the general ease of the slopes (there are 'bumpy' bits if u want those...) and better lifts means the 'ronda' is available to nearly every skier/boarder.

Even the Grappa has improved Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

but not even a mogul in the entire Dolomites

Quite a claim for an area of 1200Km of piste.

I am sure I saw one or two...

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob, Chris Bish, Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish wrote:
Quote:

but not even a mogul in the entire Dolomites

Quite a claim for an area of 1200Km of piste.
:

Isn't that the point though? Moguls are man-made. The Dolomites are famously uncrowded thanks to their 12,000km of pistes. The pisteurs are famously diligent (given how little snow they had to play with, no surprise). Therefore there won't be (many) moguls?

jonm wrote:
Quote:
just miles of gently sloping pistes with no need ever to make a turn

That's simply wrong.

That's absolutely correct. Lots of pistes with very, very long run-outs back to the bottom.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last, the pistes may be gentle but it has some of the Gnarliest off piste anywhere - loads of steep couloirs through those picturesque vertical rock masses (see http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/50606-TR-Dolomites-17-25-March?highlight=Dolomites)

albob, I think you meant anti-clockwise, not clockwise. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
James the Last, the pistes may be gentle but it has some of the Gnarliest off piste anywhere - loads of steep couloirs through those picturesque vertical rock masses

Wow! If Italian off piste is done on bare rock then respect! Skullie Skullie (Amazing pics, though - think I've seen that TR before.)

So: great for beginners, great for gnarlies, bit dull for those in the middle?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I think it looks most enjoyable. snowHead I don't feel my life is incomplete without moguls.
snow conditions
I enjoyed my recent Dolomite trip. I was disappointed that there wasn't any testing terrain or new snow but it was great to do big, sweeping turns and pretend to be a ski racer. We had competitions to see who could do the least turns on a particular slope. The area is incredibly scenic and the runs incredibly long. What's wrong with that? I did find moguls. Moguls are created by tentative skiers sliding, don't you think?
snow report
James the Last wrote:
12,000km of pistes.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-02-12 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The moguls I found (at Arabba and alta Badia) were on the blacks just off the circuit - I thought it was quite a challenge to do as many as possible all the way round - could includes two world cup blacks in one day. I am gnarly. Having said that I would say the sella ronda area is just different from anywhere else and very special
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
James the Last, the pistes may be gentle but.......

albob, I think you meant anti-clockwise, not clockwise. wink

Ahhh - I cu spotted my deliberate mistake Smile - well done............... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Looks awful on the webcams after the new snow yesterday.

http://www.armentarola.com/en/surroundings/webcam.asp

snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy