Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbühel ski shop recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Kitzbühel at the end of Feb and I'm in the market for new skis. Are there any shops that are known to be good (or, indeed, shops to avoid?)?

I'm particularly keen on demoing the Atomic Savage - I've skied the Renu a couple of times and it's excellent, however it is no longer made and the Savage looks to be the replacement (perhaps I'll take this discussion up on the Gear forum instead). So, a shop selling Atomic would be good (probably not hard to find in Austria).

Any other tips for Kitzbühel much appreciated. We're staying H/B in a hotel so won't be eating out in the evenings. Are there any civilized bars in the town (civilized = not too loud and smoke free).

Any tips for off-piste?

Is it worth a trip to Fieberbrunn for a day, if so is it easy to get too on the bus?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, just returned from Kitz. I rented Indigos, Tornado x-wings and K2 rictors from ski2000ertz just across the road from the Hahnenkammbahn. Excellent service and helpfull staff. Not so sure about Atomic stock, stock seemed quite small for new stuff, but they did have a bigger shop in the centre.
As for apres, smallish Stamperl bar, opposite the Londoner close to the Sporthotel Reisch, is quite cosy with light wood furnishings, bar stools, entertaining staff (as in cocktail/Tom Cruise!), not too loud music from playlist by staff, quite civilised. Another well appointed bar, lots of light wood, quiet, situated at eastern end of Vorderstadt is Chico (I think, I'll have to check the name). Otherwise, more Mooserwirt sytle, Pavillion, by the Scwheizerhof hotel opposite the Hahenkammbahn- very loud and busy!! Went to the Londoner, not impressed, pubby interior.
Off-piste, for safeish solos, try under the Zweitausender chair and to the left as you ski down. Around Pengelstein from top, also down to Pengelstein 2. Also down route 34 (taxis waiting to take skiers to Jochberg and the lift system). Have a look around black 56 to Aschau, bus back to lift system at Skirast.
Can't help with Fieberbrunn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not Chicos, but Chizzos. Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sah wrote:
Is it worth a trip to Fieberbrunn for a day, if so is it easy to get too on the bus?

Certainly Very Happy, though maybe I'm biased! You will have to change in St. Johann, I think. I did wonder about the train but the station in Fieberbrunn is a long way from the lifts and you'd probably need a taxi for the last bit. The ÖBB website does suggest taking the train for the first section to St. Johann (in the cases I looked at) but whether bus or train is better for you probably depends on your timing and where you are staying in Kitzbühel. The bus should take you right to the lifts in Fieberbrunn.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks davidthornton and espri, very useful info!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick follow up question... where would be the best place to buy maps in Kitzbuehel. I.e. "real" maps with contours as opposed to piste maps. If other resorts are anything to go by there tends to be a book shop somewhere that has a good selection, quite often regular ski shops are lacking in these unless more back country type shop.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah wrote:
where would be the best place to buy maps in Kitzbuehel

There is a bookshop in the central pedestrian area in Kitzbühel, Bücherklause Haertel (Vorderstadt 20). I think they have maps. There is also another bookstore, Libro (a bookshop chain, I think), at Jochbergstrasse 8 but I have never been there.

The Austrian equivalent of the Ordnance Survey is the Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen (Federal Office of Metrology and Surveying) - I found the website (mostly in German) difficult to use. They produce maps at 1:50000 and also enlarged at 1:25000. Today, by a strange coincidence, I bought the 1:25000 map for the Kitzbühel area, no. 3214-West; it cost €6. That covers the immediate area around Kitzbühel.

A private company that produces maps (in various scales) for hiking, etc., which I find useful is the Walter Mayr Verlag. They have a 1:25000 map of the Kitzbühel area, no. 55 (costs €7) which also includes a little book with hikes (with English descriptions). This covers virtually all of the Kitzbühel/Kirchberg ski area (down to Pass Thurn). You can buy it from Amazon for £5.41.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri, Thanks, really useful! Do you know if there is a DAV (Deutsche Apenverein) map of the area? I have their map of Silvretta and found it to be very good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah wrote:
Do you know if there is a DAV (Deutsche Apenverein) map of the area?

Yes, no. 34/2, Kitzbüheler Alpen Ost, 1:50000, €9.80, covers all the area from Kirchberg right over to Zell am See. Much smaller print than the Austrian 1:25000 map. Actually, I have a spare one of these. If you want and can PM me details of how to get it to you, you can gladly have it Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
espri wrote:
sah wrote:
Do you know if there is a DAV (Deutsche Apenverein) map of the area?

Yes, no. 34/2, Kitzbüheler Alpen Ost, 1:50000, €9.80, covers all the area from Kirchberg right over to Zell am See. Much smaller print than the Austrian 1:25000 map. Actually, I have a spare one of these. If you want and can PM me details of how to get it to you, you can gladly have it Smile

That is very generous of you! PM on it's way, thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy