Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - Montafon or Bregenzerwald?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide between the Montafon (probably staying in Schruns) or the Bregenzerwald (probably staying in Damüls) areas for a one week holiday in March. Has anyone been to both who can advise?

Our group:
3 snowboarders, looking for cheap accommodation, lots of snow, challenging off-piste, and some decent evening entertainment if possible.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-02-12 18:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry I have not been to Bregenzerwald but the Montafon is lovely. We stayed in Gaschurn and in St Gallenkirch and enjoyed traditional Austrian hospitality but you may struggle if you want lively clubs..it's all very quiet. We have also spent the evening at a hotel/bar in Partenen at the head of the valley, catching the last bus up and then walking back- about 4 miles on a lovely evening is very pleasant. The skiing is varied and there is deeper and untracked for the taking if you are adventurous.
If you are young and want a more lively social scene but still cheap then try Italy?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 really nice and off the beaten track-to the UK crowd and TO's anyhow-what attracted you to these two areas? Bregenzwald has some very interesting villages. My information is about 8 years old now but both require buses to make use of what is otehrwise a collection of smaller resorts bus linked to make pretty big areas. Damuls is the biggest area and has the most easily accessed off piste-the apres is great too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grizwald wrote:
what attracted you to these two areas?

1) easy access from Zürich
2) their snow records
3) cheap
4) less well known so less competition for first tracks (hopefully)
5) lots of ski areas to explore on one lift pass

Interesting to read your comment about good nightlife in Damüls. I presumed it would be pretty dead as soon as the lifts closed?

We will have a car so travelling between areas won't be a problem.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Montafon probably be my choice..bit more to offer ski wise..Mellau would be closer then Damuls though for breganzerwald.. or go a bit further and I really like Warth and plenty of great off piste, for a tiny resort..but i'm biased as i spend a lot of time there winter and summer! not cheap though. night life no idea..anywhere that serves booze is good for me so not to bothered how lively it is.

depends if you're going to hire a car.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not been to Bregenzerwald so can't comment on that.

Montafon isn't the liveliest place I've ever been to, and having your own transport is a big advantage. I like the area - it tends not to get massively crowded due to the separate areas not being lift linked. It's not an area that gets many British visitors and many of the locals assumed that I was Dutch or Scandinavian when I spoke English!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If we go to Montafon, in which village is it best to stay?
Most reviews seem to recommend Schruns however does it now make sense to stay in St Gallenkirch, within walking distance of the lift to the Nova and the new lift to the Hochjoch ski areas, for easy access to the slopes? Now that the new Hochjoch lift has been built does it make St G a better option for a base?
St G not meant to be as "nice" as Schruns however if there's not much in the way of bars/apres in either then we're not too bothered where we stay.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd, bregenzerwald has the biggest annual snowfall in the alps Toofy Grin so this year it should be something special Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Indeed but AFAIK snow is good across all of that part of Austria this winter so I'm guessing Montafon is doing alright too.
Montafon looks like it has more extensive and varied skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't help regarding accommodation as I've always stayed in Feldkirch when I've been there. Schruns looks nice but is quite small.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Found an apartment for about 40 euros pppn very close to lifts in St Gallenkirch so will probably book that unless I hear otherwise that St G is a sh*thole!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy