Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help!! Doing a ski season but have a dog!!

Poster: A snowHead
hey guys this is my first post on here and could well be the weirdest one ish haha!

but i have been skiing for 3 4 years know my partner 10+ we are looking to do a ski season in france or austria, BUT we have a little pooch and really dot wanna have to get rid of him but also really wanna get away skiing and the experience.

anybody know what the people are like with the pooches and accommodation and all that if there ok, or if anyone has taken a pooch i can imagine they haven't but just looking for some advice.

thanks peeps.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friend of mine is spending this season in a camper van, as that means he can have his rat^H^H^H^H dog with him all the time he's not skiing. His choice....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
France is usually OK with dogs in rental accommodation as long as you are planning to get your own season let and not rely on employer provided accommodation. You may have to pay a slight premium to get a place that allows pets though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know plenty of seasonaires who have dogs. It makes it a bit more difficult to find an apartment, but not impossible. If you're looking for a TO job you can probably forget it though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah right cool I thought France would be a bit easier!! But any idea on Austria and what they are like with dogs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Burgess87, If it is too difficult to take the dog with you, wouldn't it be possible to find someone to look after him for the season? Why would you even consider getting rid of him?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SCUSS IN BOOTS-Well we are planning to stay out there for the summer you see cause we have a place in les contamines to stay so it's just makin sure really. I'm not bothered cause I will just put the dog in the car and drive but my partner doesn't wanna take him just in case no one will take us with the dog!! I know the French are pretty laid bak with dogs and that but we lookin at Austria so just wondering how they are reall and what places to at!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Burgess87, you cannot bin your dog just because you want to go to Europe for a bit. He's a dog, not a piece of consumer tat - he has feelings like other people. Tell your other half to stop being an irresponsible selfish git.

There are loads of dogs in resorts - you'll just have to put a bit more effort into sourcing accommodation. Although not necessarily all that much - friend found an apartment for her parents plus aged hound within about three weeks. Was the second place she looked at.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I believe it is now illegal to refuse to take pets in holiday accommodation in France.This brings it into line with long-term rented accommodation. Nothing to stop anyone charging you a fortune for the privilege though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HELLS BELLS- thanks for that never knew that so I'm glad you posted that, think that makes the choice a lot easier.

LIZARD- i was never gunna get rid, but thats just sumat cropped up in convo between us but I said NO CHANCE with a stern voice straight away so don't think it was gunna happen to be honest but was always gunna get mentioned!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Best to mount the first set of boots on the centreline of the ski.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee63/kaligirl203/SkiingDog.jpg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Burgess87, Fair enough. Personally I wouldn't have mentioned it as I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of my dog, no matter what. If your partner thinks that way though, you might be better advised to get rid of them instead and keep the dog. IMV there's no difference between children and dogs, in terms of taking on a lifetime responsibility for a dependant. I suspect any partner suggesting you get rid of the kids so you can do a season would be on their way out the door before finishing the sentence.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Niether will be happening my friend thats why we talk about these things to resolve the subject before making any daft decisions but thank god for hells bells with a good bit of info. There was always gunna be some where that accepts ppl with dogs so it was never gunna come to it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dog people are great!
pooch people are to be avoided at all costs!

got friends or family happy to take a dog on loan for a few months?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haha dog then not a pooch. Just another word for dog for us haha!!
latest report
Burgess - I have looked for the opposite (dog free accommodation Toofy Grin ) and haven't found much. So you should be fine taking your dog for a ski season in france.

The only pet free accommodation we have found was a MMV hotel - I hope they don't change the no pet rules there or we will have nowhere left to go! Even in the no pet hotel there was a cat that found its way in to the restaurant and the hotel staff did not seem in a rush to shoo it out rolling eyes
ski holidays
dogs seem to have a great time in the snow Smile
ski holidays
Probably not a good suggestion but ever thought of staying in a Korean resort?
latest report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Burgess87, Fair enough. Personally I wouldn't have mentioned it as I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of my dog, no matter what. If your partner thinks that way though, you might be better advised to get rid of them instead and keep the dog. IMV there's no difference between children and dogs, in terms of taking on a lifetime responsibility for a dependant. I suspect any partner suggesting you get rid of the kids so you can do a season would be on their way out the door before finishing the sentence.

Seems a bit extreme...
ski holidays
Whilst I think it's now illegal to ban dogs in holiday apartments in France when you're booking for a season you're on the borders of the law between residential and holiday lets.

Even with holiday rentals it's true that owners can't refuse dogs but all thins means is that they charge a premium which can be as much as twice the rental for the property (we' seen that already a couple of times)

BUT in answer to the OPs question you can rent properties for the season with a dog, we often find clients (and their dogs) homes just be sure that everyone knows of the requirement before hand and there's no issue.
ski holidays
Bobmcstuff- yeah I thought it was a bit extreme never mind!!

Marcellus- Yeah I can imagine but I take there are ppl that don't take it that far and are quite happy to have the dog. I take it you are an owner and do rentals and that!
latest report
Had my dog for 3 weeks last year. Apartment was absolutely fine with him. Just had to get up extra early for two morning walks to make sure he was not crossing his legs too much during the day!! Left him from 9:30 - 5 most days. One day was 9:30 - 10pm as I was at the hospital with a friend. A little bit more excited to see me but that was it!!

Absolutely love bounding about in the snow and making the snow as yellow as possible!
ski holidays
snowymum, I think hotels and Chambres d'Hote can remain pet-free, but not apartments.
snow conditions
Burgess87, Apologies if you thought it was extreme. It's a bit of a sore subject with me - that certain people feel dogs are expendable in some way. The rescue kennels are full of the poor recipients of such a mindset. Your OP was quite possibly just unintentionally badly phrased, but it came across that you'd rather go skiing and get rid of the dog if you couldn't find a suitable apartment. Your later posts appear not to mean quite the same thing, so I apologise if I was excessive. I do, however, stand by my assertion that I would get rid of any partner of mine who suggested it was ok to get rid of a dog to go skiing... wink
ski holidays
Schuss in boots- Fair enough but maybe the forum speaks for itself, the fact there are more helpful posts rather than critical points of view yeah you have a right to voice your opinion but don't be so extreme ppl come on here for help because its a friendly group of ppl and dnt expect a mouth full off someone, and every one else kind of got the idea of what I was trying to say. Hope that was PHRASED well enough for you to understand. Deserves a C+ at least haha.
snow conditions
Burgess87, Actually, I think you'll find my first reply was helpful - or at least trying to be. And you are right, it is a forum. I am as entitled to voice my opinion as you are. I don't think I was rude or abusive. But whatever...
snow report
Maybe but still more negative than positive! Well here's my opinion! I think ppl like yourself should just relax a little bit and hold back the extreme negativity and point of view behind and maybe just be positive to help!! But that's my opinion!
latest report
Burgess87, Mate... Let me lend you these...

???????
!!!!!!!!!

You might find them useful.

I like dogs, but am not a dog owner. Hate cats FWIW...

But you are out of order being a condescending syntax-less muppet towards Bootsy, when all she has done is point out that anyone who would get rid of their dog to go on holiday has some rather odd priorities.

So don't be such an illiterate little twunt eh?

I'd suggest you jog on to numptyheads... Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 2-02-12 22:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoat of the dead, gosh, you're grumpy today aren't you? Yikes. And why would you 'hate' cats? What's the point? They're just animals, matey, do calm down.

Quote:

certain people feel dogs are expendable in some way. The rescue kennels are full of the poor recipients of such a mindset

What can you say. Never understood this sort of behaviour.

I seem to have got away scot free here, despite having told Burgess87, to tell his/her parner to stop being a git. Little Angel How did I manage that one?
latest report
Lizzard, I was wondering that Laughing Laughing

stoat of the dead, Grumpy or not... I thank you. Very Happy
snow report
Yeah true mate she prob was but no need to express so much like 'I would get rid of my partner if she said that' It's just an extreme point no need for it we aren't on question time are we. Have you not got a fire to start anyway. Twisted Evil
latest report
Burgess87, I'd ditch a partner if they wanted to get rid of the kids to go skiing. I suspect if I had a dog I gave a damn about I'd do the same.

Maybe you have one of those annoying ankle-shaggering-mutts? Still seems a bit of a bizarre thing to say.
latest report
Burgess87, I think you may have just suffered from the fatal condition of misreading the intention of a post. It is often said of emails that they are very easy to misinterpret - mostly because people write emails in the same informal language that they speak, but without the added benefit of tobserving body language or hearing the speaker's tone. This forum, IMO, is even more informal than emails. We write posts quickly, in the main, trying to be helpful where advice is requested, sometimes trying to add a bit of humour (some are more effective at this than others), and occasionally we manage irony and cynicism. Sometimes we may forget that those on the receiving end, especially 'newbies', don't always manage to grab the right end of the stick.

My advice..... don't get sucked into a slanging match online.... SHs can be very loyal and you will lose.

Take the rough with the smooth, take away the positive and the helpful and if you feel like it, join in with the banter. There are some trolls around but you will soon work them out (btw, Schuss isn't one of them) and we should all just ignore them.
ski holidays
Misinterpretation i reckon. It doesnt help when you can't see the expression or if you know the person, but initially it just came across extreme and maybe my starting post wasn't the best, what can I say grammar and writing aren't a strong point for me haha I am blonde after all! I'm all for the banter.
snow report
Shouldn't this thread be joined with this one...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Laughing Evil or Very Mad Shocked
ski holidays
Lots of people I know do seasons but their skiing doesn’t improve, I suppose they cannot afford the lessons, or perhaps that was not their intention? Just to career around for 3 months rather than 4 weeks; turning the shoulders, stemming, scissoring, straight ankles, banking, a myriad of self taught mediocrity, odd. Perhaps they need a good dog to keep them at home.
snow report
Sorry but the answer to this thread and the wives thread is too make sure they ski as well Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/oYYp82MOQuE

To see what it's like for a dawg, check out the dogs blag amongst the human willy waving at http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/weekone.html

Excerpt below

Dogs Blag

Got a decent walk this morning and then off in the Traveller Van, and ended up in some other white place. Seemed to recall having a nice sleep in the back of the van wrapped up in Himself's duvet jacket. Then it all went berserk when they returned and another Jack Russell look alike dog along with a little girl turned up and we all had some fun n'games.He was from the Italian side of the Jack Russell clan, Tony Soprano Russello who thought he was the man's dangly bits...

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy