Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 25th Feb - too busy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're considering a trip to Les Arcs (specifically Vallandry) for the week starting 25th Feb. I believe it's French school holidays so will it be horrifically busy and would we be better considering Austria or Italy rather than France for that week?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes that week is still French holidays but if you go the smaller resorts it should still be OK.

Austria ends that w/e though Bavaria is off.

Italy should be OK.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76752
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

if you go the smaller resorts it should still be OK

not sure that follows - small French resorts are overwhelmingly full of French people, so that would suggest that the timing of French school hols would have more impact on them than on, say, the 3 Valleys with a more cosmopolitan clientele. And domains with the most efficient lifts (e.g. Espace Killy) sometimes seem to cope better than smaller resorts with notable bottlenecks.

Our small French resort will be very busy then; I shall be far away. wink

One v good thing is that the magnificent snow cover means that all the runs will be open, pretty well everywhere - one of the major problems, some years, is that poor snow at lower levels concentrates everybody in the same areas, with better snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I was under the impression the smaller resorts were never overcrowded, even in the French school holidays. Quite happy to be corrected though. I've no first hand experience other than 15 years ago when I was in Serre Chevalier during the school hols. Some bottlenecks and not much choice in the hire shop but not the worst.

The lifts aren't always that efficient in the big resorts. Even out of season the gondola out of Les Menuires was a nightmare and the Roche Dio Mio out of La Plagne is similar.

As you say with good cover the pressure is eased somewhat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Far, Les Arcs can be busy that week and you would be better off coming out of the school holidays if you can, but it is a big ski area and once away from the main lifts it is normally ok. Check out the Les Arcs thread in the snow conditions section for more info about Les Arcs.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79067&start=1040
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Far, I was just chatting to our chalet hosts, who have lived in Peisey Vallandry for 11 years now. On half term they use the slow old lifts (there are a few left) and often have the runs that they serve to themselves. You have to hope for sunshine to do some basking on the lifts, take a picnic and be out of the door first thing to get to where you want on fast lifts. As a resort it can absorb a lot of folk, but I wouldn't come that week if you were planning to concentrate on the easier slopes, they can be vv busy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy