Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How far do you ski in a week ?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering how far everybody skis in one weeks holiday, the Dolomiti superski site has an app where you can put your skipass number in and check distance etc.

my results are 127 lifts, 29,111m of vertical and 163km. I think this is about average for a week but interested to see other results !

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

interested to see other results !

sorry, never occurred to me to keep tabs, but it would be interesting to see. I don't think it would tax a decent skier to ski every linked run in our area in a week, and that would be 185 km. In doing so, you would inevitably ski quite a lot of them more than once, so you'd do well over 250kms, I'd say. I expect people who bomb around the 3V for a week could do a fair bit more than that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did that when we got back from christmas and I've forgoten what it was, well over 180km though and I thought that wasn't a lot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
High speed lifts mean you can put down some serious miles, no wonder skis needs waxing every few days at big resorts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
244.4 km according to SkiTracks from 6 days in 3V. One of those days was very poor visibility and one afternoon I forgot to turn it back on after lunch. Oh and about 44K metres vertically. Is that good?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-02-12 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done a 100km ski day and I'm by no means fantastic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have monitored this quite carefully via GPS systems for many years (each to their own) and think that 2planks is about right. As a casual piste cruiser I average about 30km of actual skiing and 5,500m of vertical drop depending on the resort. On some days I've managed 40km of skiing but not very many.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rishie, My phone turns GPS off when the battery reaches 20% so I only know how I've done in the moning.

iAmacrapbattery!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
used the skiline app for Niederau a couple of weeks ago. I did just over 200km whilst my eldest did over 260km, bearing in mind that Thursday morning was a washout due to high winds. Did 20km for 2 hours on the Saturday morning.
Heading to St Anton with boys in 4 weeks and think the mileage will be closer to the 260-300km
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think my stats for last yr @ sella ronda was about 275km (off the top of my head) for what was essentially 7 days on the piste. But the Dolomiti Superski (well probably all of them?) only include pistes where there's an obvious start/end. They don't include any final runs down to resort at the end of the day, so my figure above includes that extra bit as recorded by GPS. So you can instantly add a few more km on without cheating Smile snowHead

I'm certainly not the kind of sH that goes all out from first to last lift to rack up the piste km. Think my record is about 68km/day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds about right.

20 miles a day of actual skiing on a full day (based on away days around the Milky Way with a group of advanced intermediates).
That's 200km over the week.

A fast skier on their own and a packed lunch on a chairlift could theoretically cover twice the distance.

A lot of skiers don't necessarily do 6 full days.

So where were we? oh yes, around 200km.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's funny to see the decline as the week goes on (for some). My last outing started of promising with about 30km each for the first 2 days which soon went down to about 15km on the penultimate day followed by a big fat 0KM on the final day. Jeagermeister killed us! woops
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On that week did morning lessons for three of the days, so mileage is down wink

Lessons were a bit of a waste TBH as all the instructor did was to tell me to move up and down more on intiating the turn and he skied far too slowly !!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I took a GPS out for a couple of days last week. This is my track for Monday which I thought was a reasonably easy, slowish day (9000m vertical, 40 miles travelled, 31mph max).
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/145309631
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
According to ski tracks we ski around 20 to 25 miles a day at an avearge speed of around 18mph
snow report
Seriously, who cares? The question I ask other skiers in the evening is "good day?". If the answer is "yes", that's all you need to know. If someone answers "no, rubbish, I only managed 40k's because my wife/friend/instructor was going too slow" I'd wonder about that persons priorities and motivation.

Relax people, you're supposed to be on a holiday.
snow report
True that, it just gives the geeks something to talk about in the bar.
snow conditions
Dr John, +1

The turn behind you and the one in front is all you need to know.
ski holidays
I don't care that much tbh but it's interesting to know. Last Wednesday I spent half a day at La Grave in very bad visibility. A small amount of skiing felt just as knackering and challenging.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Seriously, who cares?

Apparently, the OP does. And cares so much that he thinks lesson should be zooming around the piste! rolling eyes
2planks wrote:
On that week did morning lessons for three of the days, so mileage is down wink

I'll make sure I keep away from the same lesson from the OP.

Quote:
The question I ask other skiers in the evening is "good day?". If the answer is "yes", that's all you need to know. If someone answers "no, rubbish, I only managed 40k's because my wife/friend/instructor was going too slow" I'd wonder about that persons priorities and motivation.

No need to "wonder". He made it very very clear: bragging rights.
ski holidays
Dr John seriously, you've never got home and thought "wow, I'm knackered, I must have skied miles today, I wonder how far that was?" or thought "wow, that run was really fast. I wonder how fast I was going?" or thought "blimey, I feel really drunk and I've only had two pints. I wonder how strong that beer was?"

Well the answers to the first 2 questions are available via GPS. The answer to the third is that another pint will stop you asking unnecessary questions.
snow conditions
Just looked at my training log (skiing gets mixed in with cycling/running/swimming). Looks like we (OH, Jnr and myself) cover between 25-30 miles inc lifts - I'd guess that lifts would take up about a third of travel, so 30-35km actually skied seems about right.

I wouldn't say we dawdle, but we don't hammer down anything either.
ski holidays
Its such a shame some posters (from former colonies) can't understand sarcasm..................runs away whilst fitting tin hat. NehNeh
snow report
I read an article that the better skier if only on piste skiing v quickly spends nearly 2/3 time on lifts.
ski holidays
Tiger2 wrote:
Dr John seriously, you've never got home and thought "wow, I'm knackered, I must have skied miles today, I wonder how far that was?" or thought "wow, that run was really fast. I wonder how fast I was going?" or thought "blimey, I feel really drunk and I've only had two pints. I wonder how strong that beer was?".

Don't know about the doc. But my thought aren't exactly the same but instead:

"wow, I'm knackered, I must have tackled some really steep/bumpy/bad snow runs"!

Or: "wow, that run was really fast. Let me repeat that a few more times!"

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 1-02-12 17:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
2planks wrote:
my results are 127 lifts, 29,111m of vertical and 163km. I think this is about average for a week but interested to see other results !

Course, that 163km is how far you'd have gone if you were straightlining it down the piste itself. It'll be on the order of pi/2 times longer if you're doing nice neat wiggles all the way down Eh oh!
latest report
Big Paua, nicely put. Also "where for lunch?"

Tiger2, I've finished the day thinking "what a cracking day, I must have skied miles today. Who's round is it? what was the name of that cracking red we lapped? what was that lovely desert you had a lunch? Who's round is it? I think I'll switch to red now....."
snow report
Dr John wrote:
what was that lovely desert you had a lunch?

Atacama, Sahara wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

what was that lovely desert you had a lunch?

Sahara? or Gobi?
latest report
Colin B, andy, gimmie a break, that was shortly before I switched to red...
snow report
2planks,

Quote:

posters (from former colonies)

I prefer to think of them as temporarily self-governing.

...borrow your tin hat?
ski holidays
Only two questions worth asking, how steep, and how deep!
snow conditions
Actually I was wondering how long most of us consider as a week. Some poster say 6 days, my calendar says 7 and if I go skiing for a week I ski 8 days.
ski holidays
johnE, ahh but it's a leap year this year so one weeks got an extra day in it...
snow conditions
2planks, 125 lifts, 39,345ft, 214km - 6 days (staying at Canazei) Heaviest day was day 5, 9473 ft 49km.
I'm not sure, however, if this is of any interest to anybody except me Confused
ski holidays
I skied two more lifts.......it's of no interest to anybody else but was bored at home today Twisted Evil
snow conditions
We used the ski tracks app for the first time last week. Generally used it from 9 am till around 1 to 1.30 pm before picking up kids. We were doing around 20km per session, with a vertical of around 3000 m. Definitely not for the purpose of bragging (!) just curious to see what sort of distances we covered
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Seriously, who cares? The question I ask other skiers in the evening is "good day?". If the answer is "yes", that's all you need to know. If someone answers "no, rubbish, I only managed 40k's because my wife/friend/instructor was going too slow" I'd wonder about that persons priorities and motivation.

Relax people, you're supposed to be on a holiday.

Why sneer? If you're not interested, there are plenty of other threads in the forum.

Most years I keep a record of my skiing. I find it interesting and useful. Ahead of this year's trip, I know exactly which lifts will offer me the best ratio of high quality skiing per minute uplift. Perhaps surprisingly, I need to stay away from most of the high-speed detachable quads and use a few elderly fixed-grip slow triples that rise rapidly and waste little time on needless traverses or tedious motorway-style groomers. I don't know about you, but I find that I have the most fun when I'm skiing; a scientific approach to maximising my skiing time thus seems sensible.

The vertical that you cover will vary hugely according to the lifts that you choose and the type of terrain that you like to ski. I'd say that 12,000m vertical in a full day is typical for my family with three highly energetic teenagers, but that can fall dramatically if we're doing a lot of bumps, trees or powder.
snow conditions
I flatly refuse to answer this question... on the grounds it may incriminate me. Little Angel
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
I know exactly which lifts will offer me the best ratio of high quality skiing per minute uplift.

Interesting, you didn't say "the most milage per minute uplift".

This being a thread about "how far" in a week. Wink

Are you trying to imply quality of skiing isn't the same as miles skied? Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy