Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler restaurants/apres

Poster: A snowHead
Whoopee, a week on friday the Babble family head off to Whistler! We've been once before and had a great time. The let down was restaurants, so any and allrecommendations would be appreciated! " grown ups and 2 teenage girls, and everyone has a "healthy" appetite on ski jaunt!
We are based in Blackcomb village but prepared to travel!! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what was the problem with the restaurants? i've always thought the off-hill dining at Whistler was one of its good points Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, suspect we just hit unlucky, it may have been that it was the post Olympic let down or that I didn't think to ask for recommendations before we left! About the best meal we had was at the Mongolian Grill and trying to limit hungry teenagers to a realistic amount was almost impossible!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rimrock IMO the best but you can get good filling platefuls at Old Spaghetti Factory, Brewhouse, Splitz Grill etc among others. Bar food downstairs at teh Keg is pretty good too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PsychoBabble, depends what you like but you are probably right about cost - the strong dollar really hurts.

The Keg, the Brewhouse and Earl's are all decent family restaurants/pubs. I can recommend a few higher end places if you are looking to push the boat out (or leave the teenagers to their own devices)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, Arno, thanks chaps! Arno, it's our18th anniversary while there so a bit of "posh" would be appreciated! I'll worry about the bill when I get back! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rimrock gets lots of good writeups - I haven't been but wouldn't doubt fatbob on this topic
Bearfoot Bistro is also supposed to be good.
I have been to Umberto's which does v good Italian and La Rua (sort of BC/Italian), Quattro (also BC/Italian) and Hy's (smart steak/grill) - I'd recommend any of them
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dubh Linn Gate (right opposite the Blackcomb Gondola) does a mean burger and usually has some half-decent live music - plus quieter tables near the back.

Keg for top-notch steaks that will only slightly trouble the credit card (as opposed to Hy's).

Milestones at Blackcomb base in front of the Fairmont has something for everyone.

Enjoy!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Araxi, Rimrock and Earls
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PsychoBabble wrote:
...it's our18th anniversary while there so a bit of "posh" would be appreciated!

I reckon Rimrock is the most romantic for a special occasion.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PsychoBabble, how are you sorted for breakfasts? 'Elements' does phenomenal breakfasts, especially Eggs Benedict. Can't comment on what they do for lunch/dinners though, but if it's anything like their breakfasts it'll be brilliant. (It's one of the best tips I have ever been given, anywhere, about anything).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best bburgers are Splitz or Dusty's in Whistler Creek - Dusty's being my personal favourite - burger with pulled pork, who could ask for more?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I rather liked the fact that there is a Starbucks there! Made a pleasant change from luke-warm and over-priced cafe au lait in French resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for the Rimrock for a special meal. Also Araxi and Quattros are special too and I love Sushi Village. Happy Oh, and Trattoria di Umberto - they do fantastic carpaccio of beef - and brunch at the Wildwood is always worth a detour (it's at the raquet club on the outskirts of the village) Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've spent a total of 6 weeks in Whistler now, have pressed our noses up against the windows in Araxi countless times... but have never been in. Maybe this trip...

I love the food in Whistler, on and off mountain. Always surprises me when people diss the mountain restaurants - the food's in a different league to the overpriced slop I've been served in the 3V, Espace Killy and Paradiski.
latest report
PsychoBabble, we were there about 11 or 12 years ago and thought we had never eaten better at least in the evenings. And I seem to recall somewhere very good on the mountain too. But we were there to visit our daughter who was doing a season instructing so she had worked out all the best places that she wanted us to take her to each evening - quite often along with one or two others of her friends, and then our future DIL decided to come too - not sure what the bills were like at the end but it was certainly good.

Daughter has just been back for two weeks for her honeymoon so no doubt she will have all the up to date information and if I get it in time I will come back and post for you.
ski holidays
skisimon, I've always been a porridge and bananas man for ski brekkie but will look! Thanks everyone for the suggestions, looks like Rimrock may be the choice for anniversary, now what to do for Valentines.....!
snow report
Ric's in Crystal Lodge, Crystal Lounge in the Crystal Lodge for beer and wings (40cents a wing = really sweet times).

Mongolie Grill - big Q's at new year but the grub is on another plannet.

There is a curry house that was pretty good, i forget its name.

Spaghettifactory in Crystal Lodge, had lunch there and it was really good / cheap.

Breakfast in Blacks is good.
snow report
Christine's on Blackcomb is acceptable for on mountain dining.
ski holidays
It's been 8 years since I was in Whistler, but the one thing I do remember was the fantastic sushi!! So many places to choose from too - I was in a snow and sushi heaven Very Happy
snow report
handbag wrote:
It's been 8 years since I was in Whistler, but the one thing I do remember was the fantastic sushi!! So many places to choose from too - I was in a snow and sushi heaven Very Happy

WORD. Sushi Village is the nutz, the others are all 5* too.

It might be a slightly longer walk but "Whitespot" would cater to fussy teenage appetites and certainly keeps the bill low too.
snow report
I remember a place with superb dry martinis, which is more than can be said for the p+ss poor wet snow which was blue literally and crap, it poors with rain in Whistler take a mac and wellies.
ski holidays
parlor, whitespot FTW
snow report
Cynic wrote:
I remember a place with superb dry martinis, which is more than can be said for the p+ss poor wet snow which was blue literally and crap, it poors with rain in Whistler take a mac and wellies.

Think you might have been slightly unlucky there...

Sushi Village is another place I've gazed longingly at... going to drag my OH in there kicking and screaming this time...
snow conditions
We've spent quite a bit of time in Whistler in recent years (on budgets ranging from backpacker to honeymoon Smile Our last visit was 2 years ago, but the best places have always been consistent over the years.

Rimrock is amazing - just try not to look at the bill when you're paying... We always tend to go there if we want a posh (but relaxed) meal as the higher end places in the main village tend to be even pricier and not as good.

Sushi Village and Sacchi Sushi are both excellent (the sushi place in the Upper Village was a let down though, despite hearing good things about it).

GLC and Merlins both do great nachos (very important!)

Crystal Lounge is nice and chilled out with cheap wings if that's your thing (other food is a bit meh though). Cinnamon Bear in the Hilton is also a nice chilled out bar (but hidden away).

The coffee place right next to the main gondola was really good last time we went (better than the chains).

For family dining, Earls, The Keg, the place underground at the cinema, the pasta place backing on to Marketplace...

On the mountains, the food is reasonable, but the highlight is definitely Crystal Hut (top of Crystal chair) for its waffles (or steak/salmon sandwiches from the wood burning oven). It's small and popular, so you normally have to circle like a vulture and avoid peak lunch times!

If you have a morning off, go to Wildwood for breakfast (it's hidden away in the tennis club across the road from Marketplace) - really good!

I'm getting Whistler pangs again...!
ski holidays
And this is why I love SnowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

steak/salmon sandwiches from the wood burning oven
Yummy!

I went to Bearfoot Bistro last year - expensive and impossibly pretentious.
snow conditions
Pedantica, +1 - very pretentious which is one of the reasons I don't recommend it. Do they still do the silver dome performance and "un, deux, trois voila"?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee, yeah - mucho ridicoloso! wink
snow report
My missus just added to the list...

Cittas for people watching and decent pizzas.
GLC/Merlins when Guitar Doug/The Hairfarmers are playing
Beavertails for an outdoor pudding after you've eaten

I just read further up the thread - Elements was very good for breakfast, but we'd still choose Wildwood (banana bread french toast.... mmmmm!)

The skiing is alright too Smile
snow report
rodmason, Yes to all of the above plus your previous post. Happy It sounds like you both like the same places as us so if you also like Italian food, and you haven't tried it yet, then the Trattoria di Umberto is great - I love the carpaccio of beef there (not been to the Caminetto) and Quattros is lovely for more of a posh occasion.

Can't wait to go back now and, as you say, the skiing is OK too Happy
snow report
oh one more to add... sell the kids and go spend a day with Powder Mountain Cat Skiing. The best day we've ever had on snow (which makes it the best day ever!)
snow conditions
PsychoBabble wrote:
Whoopee, a week on friday the Babble family head off to Whistler! We've been once before and had a great time. The let down was restaurants, so any and allrecommendations would be appreciated! " grown ups and 2 teenage girls, and everyone has a "healthy" appetite on ski jaunt!
We are based in Blackcomb village but prepared to travel!! snowHead

So do the gbuim family (keep an eye out for the snowheads sticker) - can't wait.... Went on a lads trip last year so didn't sample too much in the way of fine dining (Nachos and wings were more usual). Did the Keg which was good but a bit pricy, did Old Spag factory which is OK for a bit of everyday grub and went to 3 below at the cinema for their specials a few days.

On mountain, do the waffles at Crystal Hut but be prepared to fight for a table.

Apre, we settled on Dubh Linn Gate - depends on your musical tastes but nice bowl of nachos, a guiness and a bit of live music went down a treat with us last year (although $9 for a guiness didn't)...
snow report
ajrduff wrote:
Dubh Linn Gate (right opposite the Blackcomb Gondola) does a mean burger and usually has some half-decent live music - plus quieter tables near the back.

The may do a mean burger but they sold me the most expensive pint of Guiness I've ever had in my life! Think it worked out at about £7 a pint and that was about 6 years ago with a near 2:1 exchange rate!. Stick to the local brews.
snow conditions
PsychoBabble, Not sure why you struggled to find any thing to suit you.

We just love Hy's steak place but it is very expensive - worth pushing the boat out though once. It does fill Teenagers up. We have been in the Village so that is our experience. If you are up in Blackcomb there are some places that get good reviews up there but never been as there was just too much to try in the village - even after 5 years of going.

+1 for White Spot. It is a franchise type place (you will see loads driving through Vancouver) but good sensible priced food. It is hidden away out of the main village past the bus stop off by information place.

Also if you want good price then Spaghetti Factory is the best place we found. I would suggest you book the day before if you want to go at a peak time though as it does get busy.

Also love Brew House, Wildwood and Carumba (they will all be on maps)

Best idea is to get to Dusty's at lunchtime for some pulled port sarnis then you will be full and only want some take out pizza - avalanche.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy