Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

waterproof gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i need a new pair of gloves after pretty much destroying my POW ones this year. I really liked the look and qualities of the Hestra Army 3 finger mitt, but I noticed the leather on my POW gloves got very wet in the heavy conditions this year, Hestra whilst Gore on the backs of the hands and some of the rest have leather palms, does this absorb water? Would I be better looking for an all gore tex material glove? If so can someone recommend a brand/model? I have seen some from Reusch and from Salomon and they seem much cheaper than the leather versions from Hestra.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hestra leather gloves need looking after properly, treat them with some leather balm every now and then, but do that and they will be as waterproof as any gloves. Would certainly recommend the Hestras.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rggdxb, I have a pair of army leather Hestra gloves, which I simply love. I definitely recommend you get some leather balm (by Hestra or something similar) and treat your gloves with that. Leather on its own does absorb water, but the balm will make the outside nicely water resistant.

That said, your perspiration will make both the liner and leather damp from the inside. At least, this is what happens to me. The removable liners dry quickly, though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use Hein Gericke goretex motorbike gloves for wet days. Price starts from around £40.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think anything that is goretex generally has a full goretex insert so the leather is immaterial in that sense. Obviously the leather getting soaked and holding water right next to the membrane isn't a great idea for breathability though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what I found on the wettest couple of days was that the leather sections of the glove were retaining enough water that i could wring them out, I had treated them with the nicwax that came with the gloves but that was a while before. I will try the Hestra's, make sure they're treated and hopefully that'll be that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leather anything benefits from regular treatment with something like the Hestra leather balm, mine get done at the beginning and end of a week in the mountains and about once a month in between as they are regular visitors to Tamworth fridge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rggdxb, agree that if you have leather on the glove then that needs to be treated to maintain water resistance.

The only glove on my searching which offers just about "waterproof" are the Columbia Mountain Monster Gloves Shocked

Their system does work from the outside in but this still does not stop the outer surface getting wet, its just that it will not get to your hands.

I do not sell these so its not a plug Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would always recommend Dakine Broncos, they're goretex and work really well, lasted me over a season before now though not had a pair for a couple of years they don't look to have changed much at all. Also some of the warmest gloves I've ever worn and nice low profile. Weirdly I now have a few pairs of Pow and have nothing but good experiences with them - would normally recommend them first. As mentioned above leather treatment is important but even still I've never really seen a pair trashed - which glove did you have out of interest?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have tried a pair of Sealskinz winter gloves this season and my hands have stayed completely dry on wet days. Worth taking a look as not expensive either and very warm!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had the Mega's and I also have some tanto's. The latter are still in good shape but they fit quite small and aren't all that warm, I normally wear the inners from the Mega's but they don't fit inside. The leather around the thumb and back of the hand wore away completely, I probably used the Mega's for about 35 on the snow days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy