Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fresh Wax - Not Lasting That Long?!

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon snowHead

I recently got my first board and prior to my recent trip to Les Arcs I lovingly waxed it. I followed the guides to the letter, and I'm reasonably competent with an iron, however, at the end of the first day I had white cloudy patches appearing. These were generally concentrated to the edges.

Brief technique:
- Hot wax to clean
- Melt wax all over the board and iron in, concentrating on the edges.
- Allow to cool in a warm room for a few hours
- Scrape off with perspex scraper, followed by a finer steel scraper
- Rub, front to back, with wire wool
- Brush front to back with coarse brush

Is this normal? Am I doing it wrong? Am I using the wrong grade wax? (I used K2 wax appropriate to the temperature range) or, preferably, I'm some kind of board demon who shreds longer and harder than anyone else..... rolling eyes Laughing

On my trip to Les Arcs I went freshly waxed, then waxed the evening of day two, then thought I was doing it all wrong, so let a shop wax it on the evening on day five.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated as I'm gagging to faff with my board once more.... Embarassed

SnowSquirrell
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
p.s - I appreciate three waxes in a week is excessive and not usually normal!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surface wax wears off pretty quickly. Base near the edges dries out fastest as that's where the most friction is generated. So you'r enot doing anything wrong it's more a question of how often you can be assed to do it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i would suggest that the "white cloudy patches" - base burn, dry base, or whatever you want to call it - will not be able to absorb any of the wax you are ironing in (the overheating caused by skiing on the ski, without enough wax absorbed in the base, has transformed the amorphous ptex in these regions into crystalline ptex - or in laymans terms sealed the pores in the ptex)

therefore the wax you iron on will simply sit in a very thin layer on top of the ptex and wear off very quickly

this can be remedied by sanding the base to remove a thin layer of material an expose the amorphous ptex below

the ski should then absorb the wax and the wax will last much longer

nb: sanding the base is risky - in will produce a lot of ptex hairs and done incorrectly could result in a concave base - it may be easier to have the base stoneground

hope this helps, no doubt spyderjon will b along soon to offer his verdict!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What board is it and what kind of base does it have?

If the base is extruded, then waxing is pretty pointless.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevomcd, could you please xplain how waxing an extruded base is pretty pointless?

on average a extruded base is 40% made up of amorphous ptex, whereas a for a sintered base it is 60% - granted an extruded base will absorb around a third less wax, but how is it pointless?

waxing any base will surely make the board slide more easily and preserve the life of the board in the long term
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wax on skis and boards does not last more than 5 to 10 minutes max.

The snow scrubs it off.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, you are correct - wax ON skis and board scrubs off very quickly

however, wax absorbed into the base of a ski lasts at lot longer, upto 2 weeks hard skiing in some cases (all dependent on the ammount of wax, snow conds, type of base etc.)

it not only acts to keep the base slick but it prevents the base from being abraded
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomow92, Surely for the base to become burnt would require a fair length of use? As mentioned, this board was brand new and it was towards the end of the first day that there was evidence of 'whatever'. A appreciate though that by hot waxing it I may have removed the base layer.

As to the type of board, I don't know! It's a K2 raygun. All that other language was well over my head.

I used a chepo travel iron, is there a chance that I was too conservative with the temperature therefore it wasn't hot enough, thus not opening the bases' pours and allowing the wax to be absorbed?

Thank you for your advice so far, all greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tomow92, the extrusion process creates a surface which is pretty-much solid (fibres all aligned) with no way for wax to get into the base.

That and I've owned an extruded board!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd, i will concede that i didn't know that - it was explained to me, as i said above, as amorphous and crystalline "freckles" in varying proportions - and it is more difficult (not impossible) to get an extruded base to absorb wax

SnowSquirrell, yes it would require a fair length of use, if a good number of wax, scrape, brush cycles (3-5) were performed on the board prior to first using it

your method seems fine (go gently on the wire wool), as stevomcd, rightly said if the base is extruded it will be more prone to base burn

hot waxing will only remove a small surface layer of wax so that shouldn't be the problem

as for the iron, if the iron is hot enough to melt the wax then it is hot enough to "open the pores of the ski", just ensure the iron isn't hot enough that the wax smokes

K2 wax appropriate to the temperature is fine

imo it is a combination of not enough waxing when then board was new and the base being extruded (if in fact it is)

would suggest you continue waxing it every 2 outings and once the base or edges become damaged enough to require a stonegrind, try loading it up with a number of wax cycles after

in the meantime small areas of base burn won't actually affect performance that much

EDIT: having just read this document, http://www.alpineskituning.com/hotwax_myth.pdf i would revise my above statements

it appears it is impossible for an entruded base to hold wax for much more than one run

also the iron should be as hot as possible without smoking the wax, but move it quickly to avoid melting or burning the base
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the iron is making smoke then it is too hot for that certain wax.
Warm temp waxes have a lower smoking point then do cold temp waxes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies. I've done some digging and it would seem that my board is extruded Evil or Very Mad With there being such an apparent difference in the two types of boards I'm pretty pissed the guy in the shop didn't fully explain/know this.

So can we conclude from this that there is little I can do to hydrate my board other than bi-nightly waxing sessions? Bit of an effort really!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowSquirrell, What a salesman Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowSquirrell, Is it a job board? They often have extruded bases - cheaper - but easier to fix when they get mangled by the metal!
snow report
Sorry that should read jib - damn auto correct!
snow report
lib-banana, Job Board? Despite boarding, I'm most certainly not down with the slang Embarassed Laughing

Cynic, Yeah, Fitzwilliam! haha! Oh well, this will become my sacrificial board at the local den-dix in a few seasons time.
ski holidays
ahh, I assume you mean for freestyle? If so, no, I'm not really much of a freestyle guy just yet. You never know though....!

Fitzwilliam wasn't my typing.....guess there is a swear filter here..!
ski holidays
SnowSquirrell, you'll find that rub-on wax is almost as effective as a hot wax on an extruded base, so at least you can give it a quick boost easily enough!
snow report
It's not that unusual in my experience for dry spots to appear after a day or two. If you have been on a lot of firm corduroy you'll find it happens quicker.

My advice is continue with the waxing as you are currently doing it. It may help to put a bit more effort into the edge areas next time. Other than that, i'd bring rub on cold wax (rub not spray) and apply that nightly (i recommend doing that anyway because it is such a minimal effort).
ski holidays
stevomcd, monkey, Thanks! Like this > http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2378/products/holmenkol_natural_ski_and_snowboard_wax_fluid_kit.aspx ??

Seems easy enough! Anthing to make those flat greens that little more boardable!
snow conditions
SnowSquirrell, i've never used that one. I've used a spray on "wax" and a rub on wax. The spray on one only lasted a few moments but the rub on one lasts about a day, maybe two. If you can be bothered to polish it with the cork it helps.

http://www.edgeriders.com/dakine-high-octane-rub-on-wax-green-snowboard-tools-2011-snowboard-kite-wakeboard-shop.html
ski holidays
Quote:
if a good number of wax, scrape, brush cycles (3-5) were performed on the board prior to first using it.

^^this.

I found the same issue with my Apo when it was new, after my first two days it was dry. I can only imagine that when it came out the factory it had little to no waxing by the manufacturer. After a week of riding with bi-nightly waxes (conditions were pretty cold and there was a little man-made stuff, also I only had an all round wax) I became pretty frustrated at the whole thing.

Before my next trip I did a couple of hot waxes/scrapes to clean the base a little and get some wax in it and then went through the hot wax, cool and scrape about four times with no riding in between before the board stopped accepting the wax into the base. I did my final wax with a pretty cold rated blue wax. After the whole next week of riding my base was in mint condition.

So in conclusion I reckon your board is just dry, you need to saturate the base, and get the wax to penetrate deep. An alternative to going through the process of multiple waxing might be to take it to a ski tech with a hot box, which basically does the same thing except more effectively.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy