Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do Brits come to Finland to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...and not even the larger fells in Lapland but some 200 m hills more South (like Iso-Syöte, Ruka)? If you have to travel abroad for a ski holiday why come here where we don't have any mountains? I could understand Lapland, reindeer, northern lights etc etc but to come here to ski? Just wondering because there were quite many Brits skiing today at Iso-Syöte. Strange.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skise, because Crystal holidays (a big UK tour operator) are promoting that resort, the hotel and apartments are of a very good standard and they are offering some very good cheap deals and the opportunity to do other winter holiday stuff such as husky dog/snowmobile/northern lights etc. Maybe people are choosing it as a winter holiday with some skiing rather than a skiing holiday perhaps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been to both Levi and Yllas skiing - main objective of holiday was skiing and we had a great time at both resorts, good snow, wide "empty" pistes, great hospitality and good hotels what more can you ask for ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not? It's got snow and we've never been before. I'd go.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
Why not? It's got snow and we've never been before. I'd go.

+1. I've loooked at it. Main attractions to me are empty slopes and good quality accommodation. Ok there's not the extent but I'd rather have a smaller area to myself (almost) than a big crowded, full of queues area. I would take a couple of wine boxes though wink having experienced the Scandi booze prices before Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Because it's a really nice change from the Alps. I went to to Levi and had a great week. Tried cross-country skiing for the first time (surprisingly tricky) but really enjoyed the downhill too. Empty pistes, no lift queues, a beautiful, but very different, landscape to the Alps. A transfer from the airport of just 20 mins. Seeing the Finns do their ballroom dancing (which they learn at school, quite reluctantly, apparently!) in skiboots at 4pm to the cheesy Euro disco-pop. Seeing the northern lights.
All in all, a huge breath of fresh air. However, I (and the 10 others in my group) could've done without the acute food poisoning - the worst I've ever experienced. There was nothing fresh about my hotel room for those couple of days!
N Neige
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can't ski, then the Alps are probably overkill.

My first ski trip was to Iso Syote and I learnt to ski there. It is ideal for this purpose - only 400m high so not too intimidating (though I still had the "how on earth will I ever get down there" nerves at the beginning of the week). The instuctors are excellent, you're pretty much guaranteed tons of snow, and you don't feel like you're missing out on the rest of the resort like you can if you end up in a big resort, but aren't good enough yet to explore it properly.

It can be very good value too, which was important to us because we didn't know if we would enjoy it rolling eyes A few years ago now, but it was well under £450 for a package holiday that included ski hire and lessons all week, and our accommodation was upgraded to a brand new cabin/hytte with 3 bedrooms (we were 2 couples, so our skis got their own bedroom!) log fire, wet room and private sauna. It certainly got us hooked, though French accommodation can be a little disappointing after that!

I wouldn't really recommend it to someone looking for a party scene and miles of piste, but nervous newbies or young families would be fine. And if you get bored of the same half-dozen runs, you can hire XC skis and head off wherever you like!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Iso-Syöte is over 400 m, but only less than 200 m is "skiable". Definitely not a great party place Laughing (for partying go to Levi, perhaps Ruka for skiing to Ylläs). For XC Finland is a good place. Funny thing for me is people saying Levi has emptly pistes and no queues while I usually stay away from there because it's too crowded rolling eyes And if coming for empty pistes stay away weeks 8-10...

I still can't understand it for people who come for alpine skiing. "what more can you ask to?" Something to ski? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skise, Have the Brits spoiled your skiing?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfamily2 wrote:
Skise, Have the Brits spoiled your skiing?

No, they just got me baffled Laughing We ski in Finland because we happen to be here so it's easy. But it seems to me it's about equally difficult for the Brits to go either to Alps or come here. So coming here makes no sense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skise,
Quote:

So coming here makes no sense.

That's the British for you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm off to Finland in a few weeks and really looking forward to it. I have already had a ski holiday to the alps this season so are using the Finland trip as a holiday with a bit of skiing. I am looking forward to the excursions and the slim chance of seeing the northern lights as much as I am looking forward to some relaxing crowdless skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I totally got back into downhill skiing after a couple of fantastic trips to Levi. I'd had a mega strop after a miserable week skiing at La Thuile in Italy culminating in me swearing I was never doing downhill again. So my boyfriend and I decided to try x-country skiing and other wintery fun stuff in Finland and while skiing around and up the fell seeing how empty and nice the pistes looked I figured I would go back and give downhill another try, and if I didn't like it there was plenty more x-country to do. Fortunately the beautiful pistes and brilliant ski school instructors got me right back into downhill and loving it more than ever.

Skiing in Finland is really different to the alps, I loved how chilled out everything seemed and IMO it is much much prettier than a lot of alpine resorts. Also while on holiday there I discovered how tasty reindeer is which doesn't feature on other alpine resort menus. One last thing is that my boyfriend and I quite like just enjoying the sensation of skiing, trying to get a nice carve going with the skis and so we aren't really bothered trying to ski every piste in resort and get the most vertical or speed. At the end of the day, we just like to ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy