Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family trip skiing to Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello there and thanks fo reading (assuming you do!)

Off next year to Avoriaz staying in Sosna ? old part of Avoriaz. Me, hubby and 3 teenagers so here is the background.....I have been skiing on a dry ski slope many years ago but basically only went as the instructors were gorgeous I was only 21yrs! Hubby never been nor have children.

I have read the comments on this site and hope some basic info will help me be prepared.

As we are learners ? Avoriaz pass or full PDS doesn't seem to be much in it price wise and who know the children may be good
Thought I should hire basic equipment but thought the hats for the children would be a good idea as,..... they may be good!
What do I do with the equipment at the end of the day?? Take it to the apartment or back to the shop.....
Do I pay for insurance for ski pass, ski equipment and normally holiday insurance obviously covering winter sports? Everything seems to come with an added insurance I don't want to pay twice but I do want to be covered.
Also thought of booking couple of hours lessons in the mornings....can we go as a group do you know youngest child 13yrs? Really wanted to have fun altogether you see. Then thought maybe the boys could have a couple afternoons boarding lessons? Would seem a shame not for them to do this whilst we are there.

Going in the car as we go to France in summer and I like to stock up...but (as we are going up a mountain) it is going to be steep isn't it....it's just the looking over the edge bit I know I know.........

Do we unload then send hubby off to park car then get sleigh, sledge whatever to apartment?

I am sure there are lots more to ask but any info would be really appreciated. I feel under pressure you see as I have told the family it will be great, the trouble is I said this the last holiday and it wasn't.........!!!!! So yet again the drinks could be on me!

Oh we shall be there for New Year......I'll wear a carnation but if you are there I think you should spot me!!

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fairfields3, welcome to SHs. snowHead Can't help you with Avoriaz specifically - only spent a couple of days skiing there, when we were staying in Les Gets one time. You can't drive there, AFAIK.

But more generally - yes, definitely book lessons in advance, as new Year is very busy and if you leave it too late you'll scratch around to find anything. But I doubt if ski schools will be taking many books for next season yet; this season has hardly started!

Plenty of people on SHs know Avoriaz well - get some advice as to the best ski school, then book up lessons for the whole week. You are all beginners, and without lessons you'll miss out on a whole lot. For an initial week, I'd suggest your teenagers decide whether they want to ski or board, then book them into the appropriate class. Take the advice of the ski school as to what lift pass to get. Skiing and snowboarding are both good - but v different, and perhaps best at first to devote a whole week to one or the other.

If you want to ski together, you could (depending on age of your kids) book yourselves into the same class, but adults and kids do tend to learn a bit differently.
Or if you take private lessons, you can call the shots.

You've got plenty of time to get it right. Indeed, plenty of time to get yourselves to one of the UK indoor ski slopes (much nicer to start on than dry slopes) and take some initial lessons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Fairfields! Congrats on your first post, and welcome! I'm a bit of a lurker so not too much ahead of you! Very Happy. I've pasted bits with my answers below as you have a lot of questions! We are a family of four who did your trip last winter. Our children were younger though so I won't know all the info re ski school etc as they went to the diddy school in the centre, but I'll do my best Smile. Have a great time though, you'll love it....don't worry!!

Off next year to Avoriaz staying in Sosna ? old part of Avoriaz. Me, hubby and 3 teenagers so here is the background.....I have been skiing on a dry ski slope many years ago but basically only went as the instructors were gorgeous I was only 21yrs! Hubby never been nor children.
As we are learners ? Avoriaz pass or full PDS doesn't seem to be much in it price wise and who know the children may be good.

I would advise Avoriaz only as you'll pretty much only beginners. You can always upgrade if the kids go crazy and are naturals! Avoriaz is a big enough area and you probably won't see all of it anyway. Save some cash for the beers instead Very Happy

Thought I should hire basic equipment but thought the hats for the children would be a good idea as,..... they may be good!

Get lids for everyone. I can't state this enough. You wouldn't ride a bike without one would you? Surely not! Don't think, just do it. Value your life, please. I think it's law for the kids anyway. And helmets are cool. French don't think so, but they'll be the fools with more serious injuries. Even the best skier or boarder can't foresee the idiot tanking it and who crashes into them.

What do I do with the equipment at the end of the day?? Take it to the apartment or back to the shop.....

It depends where you're staying. Most places in Avoriaz are ski in/out so just take it home and stick it on your balcony, it'll be fine. Then as you get the hang of it you either ski out with it or get the elevator and carry it. There may be places you can leave it, but someone else may know this Smile

Do I pay for insurance for ski pass, ski equipment and normally holiday insurance obviously covering winter sports? Everything seems to come with an added insurance I don't want to pay twice but I do want to be covered.

Check your travel policy. Ours is covered, but not all do. make sure winters sports is covered and read the small print for the kit and pass. Guard your pass with your life anyway! If you lose it, it's tough, you have to get another. Take a note of its number just in case it does go you may be able to get it cancelled...

Also thought of booking couple of hours lessons in the mornings....can we go as a group do you know youngest child 13yrs? Really wanted to have fun altogether you see. Then thought maybe the boys could have a couple afternoons boarding lessons? Would seem a shame not for them to do this whilst we are there.

You can go as a group. The boys would probably prefer boarding however!! Consider putting them straight in a board class, and you in ski class, then you can meet up and practise together in the afternoons. Theyll find it way cooler! They can always switch if they hate it. They won't however trust me Wink. I wouldn't confuse them on their first hols doing both skiing and boarding. But that's just my opinion.

Going in the car as we go to France in summer and I like to stock up...but (as we are going up a mountain) it is going to be steep isn't it....it's just the looking over the edge bit I know I know.........

The mountain roads are fine. We drove too. Get chains for your wheels just in case, and if you have TOMTOM, ignore the instructions to get into resort or she'll send you up a snowy mountain track!!! Follow the signs only. There are hairpin bends into the mountain, but you can't really see over the edge. Stock up in a Super U or similar, as the Sherpa in resort is pricey as you would expect.

Do we unload then send hubby off to park car then get sleigh, sledge whatever to apartment?

Its well organised. You pull up, unload, hubs parks up (book in advance for this it's cheaper) either outdoors or underground. Then he comes to you and the luggage and you all get in a horse sleigh or snowplough transporter thingy, and whizz off to your apartment to unpack. Take cash for this it's about 10€ I seem to remember each way, and make sure of a quote first. The horses are more ££ but although smelly, there's something romantic about them lol!!

Have fun, and if you have any questions just yell...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you lose it, it's tough, you have to get another. Take a note of its number just in case it does go you may be able to get it cancelled...

losing a pass used to be a really big deal, but with the electronic ones you can usually replace them, for a small admin fee. Keep the receipts in a separate place from the passes, though.

I'd always get the extra "theft and damage" insurance for hired skis. Just too much faff, otherwise and it's cheap.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many, many thanks the replies are brill..........I shall ask the children what they prefer and I think you are right they will learn much quicker than us. If you think of anything else let me know.
Again many thanks for replies.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy