Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DPS wailer 99 hybrid 176 v PM Gear Bro 99 179 v Kastle FX 94 176

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
drawing up a short list of skis suitable for my introduction into touring and backcountry skiing , and after loads of searches and reading , these three are my top picks. I am looking for a ski that has the right weight stats for touring , but also has the capability of being used for a every day in resort ski as well , to this end i am thinking of mounting them with a dual quiver killer set up of marker jester / dynafit , or just marker baron , haven't finalised this yet as the options for bindings seems endless
for this and next season i am only looking at one day tours and short skins to access stuff from the lifts and maybe an overnighter.

at present i ski kastle mx88 168 on piste and in-between, and mx108 177 off piste and in this years powder fest have been on these 90% of the time, and will only take these to japan next month, so the plan is to replace the 88's with one of the above ,as i dont really want to have more than two pairs of skis to cover all my needs.

would really appreciate any thoughts , good and bad on my choices
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice list!

I haven't skied any of the skis, so can't really comment there (other than to say the DPS would be my choice, shape looks perfect), but if you're skinning much more than 1-2 hours at a time you probably don't want 'just' Barons...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 re Barons - That's what I had last season for just the sort of thing you're talking about - this season have upgraded to TLTs and can report that they are a BIG improvement for touring (though clearly a bigger compromise elsewhere). Apologies, I've never skiied anything on your list either! FWIW I'm on Coombacks this year which are probably worth a look as they fit your criteria (102 underfoot) 3.6kg/pr - not esp light but a ski you can use everywhere everyday. Would also consider Black Crow Orb 3.3kg 90 UF and K2 wayback or BD Aspect 2.95kg 88/90 UF if you want to save a bit more weight Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, ww166no, seems like a dual set up would be best , then hopefullly no compromise in performance in both situations wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally, I'd consider holding off on buying Barons right now. The new Salomon/Atomic AT binding coming out in the autumn and it looks like it might be a good 'un. They've certainly been giving it a lot of testing of late, which ever so slightly reduces the early adopter peril! For binding swapping between alpine/barons and dynafit, also consider bindingfreedom.com swap plates... fewer holes to drill in the ski, slightly wider mount, blah blah blah.

Don't really have any advice, ski-wise. Things like K2 Hardside and Movement Source aren't anywhere near as sexy as the DPS, but it will probably be a little easier to find somewhere to demo them this side of the atlantic Smile

Spyderjon has or had something pretty similar to the Bro you're considering; he probably has some nice things to say about it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh, you can test out some models of dps in Chamonix:
http://www.chalet-in-chamonix.co.uk/dps-skis.aspx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy