Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter in Nth America - where to go? Aspen a good bet?

Poster: A snowHead
Have the good fortune to be required in Boston the week after Easter. Where has the most reliable late snow? Mrs B has always wanted to hit Aspen, I note the liftpass for all but Highlands expires on 15 April. We'll fly Good Friday to Denver or wherever and I have until the 12th.

I've learned through experience (poor snow in W + LL, KH closed) that the season end is not the gentle wind down we're used to in France. SCGBs 'historic snow' shows the depths falling off a cliff from end of March some years.

Please direct me elsewhere if I can find the info Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colorado hasn't got the greatest snowpack to date while Pac Northwest and Canada is doing pretty well. Cali stinks

http://unofficialnetworks.com/20-deepest-ski-resort-snowpacks-north-america-ii-71028/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep in mind Aspen's one of the most expensive resort towns in CO. Another one to look at is Vail and Breckenridge (not too far from Denver). Utah is another recommendation.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, said it right, although Utah, Wyoming and CO did pick it up some the last few weeks or so.

I skied Aspen a couple of years ago in late April- 8" in town and 18" fresh up top when I arrived. Nice powder the first couple of hours, then what wasn't skied or packed down got really heavy. When I left the next evening, all the snow in town had melted and there were guys out playing golf. Still had fun on the top 2/3s of the mountain that day and the Apre there (and Whistler from what I hear) is among the best in NA.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boardban wrote:
I've learned through experience (poor snow in W + LL, KH closed) that the season end is not the gentle wind down we're used to in France. SCGBs 'historic snow' shows the depths falling off a cliff from end of March some years.

You must had been there in some strange year!

I skied LL in first week of MAY one year! It's one of the most reliable resort that has late season skiing.

Put aside this year's abnormal snow record, Aspen would have plenty of snow in April too. It's very high altitude (over 10,000 at Highland). So the snow would stay quite good quality in a normal year.

But as many noticed, this year isn't normal.

Quote:
Please direct me elsewhere if I can find the info Very Happy

Go ask at epicski.com. Fellow called Tony Crocket had accumulated a list of historical snow record for much of the west.

I'd leave the final decision to the last minute. Lift pass will be heavily discounted at that time of year anyway. So does lodging. Nothing to be gained booking ahead.

At some point, you can arrange the flight to one or the other of the major gateway airport (Denver, Salt Lake City, Calgary, Vancouver). But leave the exact mountain till the day you arrive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like Vail
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vail is low. So Easter snow could get slushy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:

When you say Vail is low, do you mean elevation?? Relative to what?? Sure, when compared to say A-Basin, LL or Breck, but not if you compare it to say

Vail Base=8100/2500 Top=11500/3500
Val Thorens Base =7600/2300 Top=10500/3200
Aspen Highlands Base= 8000 Top=11700 (with hike to terrain going up another 700 vertical)

abc wrote:

Put aside this year's abnormal snow record, Aspen would have plenty of snow in April too. It's very high altitude (over 10,000 at Highland). So the snow would stay quite good quality in a normal year.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MEfree30 wrote:
abc wrote:

When you say Vail is low, do you mean elevation?? Relative to what?? Sure, when compared to say A-Basin, LL or Breck, but not if you compare it to say

Vail Base=8100/2500 Top=11500/3500
Val Thorens Base =7600/2300 Top=10500/3200
Aspen Highlands Base= 8000 Top=11700 (with hike to terrain going up another 700 vertical)

Yes, relative to A-Basin, Breck and LL.

The OP asked about where in N. America. Don't see the point comparing N. A. with Europe.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vail isn't even relatively low for North America - Lake Louise top elevation is 8,550 ft, Alta 10,550, Jackson Hole 10,450 - so what if its lower than a few resorts more locally?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for the info. Have booked the BA direct flight to Denver and will leave the destination choice until nearer the day. Perhaps the sport choice may be open too and I'll bring the golf clubs!

I think it was 2006 I was last over at Easter. I had assumed the end of the season over there was the same as over here - was quite a mistake to make.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, Why don't you just admit you made a mistake- we all do from time to time, no harm done. You said Vail is low and Aspen Very high- other than the hike to stuff at Highlands, they are virtually the same which is higher than all but a handful of resorts (most of which can be found nearby in CO).

Boardban, In April, you'll have the chance for both good golf weather down in Denver (and driving Avon/Eagle to Glenwood/Aspen) and the possibility for powder up in the mountains in the same week. My daughter is off school then, so I will likely be skiing at least 1 day with her at Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail or Beaver Creek- give me a holler if you are around and want to make some turns together.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MEfree30 wrote:
abc, Why don't you just admit you made a mistake- we all do from time to time, no harm done. You said Vail is low and Aspen Very high- other than the hike to stuff at Highlands, they are virtually the same which is higher than all but a handful of resorts (most of which can be found nearby in CO).

What mistake? You took parts of my two different posts answer two different question out of the proper context.

By the standard of Himalaya, even Breck is LOW! rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No arguing in my thread please!

MEfree30, good of you to offer, although I hope to be three hours away from the Breck area, I've skiied around there in the past. I'll message you nearer the date for some last minute resort advice.

Cheers, Andrew
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, What was the 2nd question?
ski holidays
Aspen is the wrong place to go. It is the end of the season and the snow is not likely to be great. You could get lucky but if you don't you are too far away from any other resorts. Arapaho Basin has the most reliable late season snow in Colorado. Stay in Summit County and you can drive to Arapaho, Vail and several other resorts based on snow conditions.

Of course, since your business is in Boston, there is no reason to limit yourself to Colorado. Go wherever the snow is.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy