Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Red Mountain, BC, Jan 16-19 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(also a few pics at http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/annual-red-mountain-madness/)

Date: Jan 16-19th 2012

Our mob: A bus load from the Desert Ski Club

Basics : 5 miles over the USA border, above the town of Rossland, BC, sits the towering Red Mountain.

The skiing: Steeps, trees, bumps, often combined in a single run. That’s Red Mountain. The real fun is on Granite, the larger of the two lift-served peaks, both of which can be skied 360 degrees. There’s some fun groomers off the Paradise and Red chairs, but head any direction you feel like off the top of the Motherlode chair and plunge down the few marked and mostly unmarked runs, and be prepared to get your butt kicked by some of the best lift-served terrain I know.

Conditions were good and calm Friday, and after 20cm+ of snow Friday night, Saturday was excellent, albeit busy all morning. Sunday was colder, with a 5cm top up and wind-blown pow creating a gem of a ski day. We mined pow in trees all day long, and maybe, just maybe, skied the famed Cambodia. It’s hard to know on Red. With a 1.5m base mid-mountain, Red skies pretty well everywhere.

Off-piste : Extensive. Epic. Hidden. Watch out for cliff bands lurking beneath the freshies. Follow locals, Be careful.

The resort: In the last 6 years, a good collection of condos has appeared at the base, all basically within 250m of the lifts, and most ski back. Rafters bar in the base lodge is a buzzing but basic apres ski bar. There’s a couple of good restaurants too for evening dining. But if you want lively nightlife, get the free shuttle to Rossland, where several excellent pubs and restaurants are found. But you come here for the skiing, not the crazy night-time options.

Food : Gypsy at the base is an excellent, mid-priced bistro. The lamb shanks are great. Gabriella’s, just around the corner, is good Italian. On the mountain, the base lodge is an OK self-serve cafe. Over the back, Paradise Lodge has tasty soups, burgers and cookies. Not a huge range, but good quality. Paradise is small though, so think about timing at weekends.

Hotel: We stayed in the new condos 100m from the base, and ski back. Really nice place. Hot tub on deck, views of Granite peak. Hard to beat.

Costs: Not an expensive place, as it’s too far from civilization and major airports to get crowded. There’s usually excellent stay-and-ski deals, especially mid-week.

Conclusion: Best tree skiing on the planet (with Revelstoke!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesnt seem to have changed much since we were there, apart from that lift line Toofy Grin

I thought they were pulling Rafters down and building a new base lodge ? A shame too about the base development, but I suppose it brings in the money.

Great pics though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gortonator wrote:
Conclusion: Best tree skiing on the planet

agree!

Is the Sunshine Cafe still ther in downtown Rossland?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty much on the money. Also the most humbling place in the world to ski given the average ability of the locals, a number of whom still rock the CMH Explosivs.

If you like hockey worth a trip down the hill to see the former world champion Smokeaters at the Cominco arena which is massive for a small town.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They did kinda rebuild the base lodge, and it's a lot better. But Rafters is still there, and still a decent bar. Lift expansion would change this place so much. I keep my fingers crossed for controlled opening of new lift served terrain. No doubt slow lifts tho Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You need the slow lift to recover anyway.
You kind of get an idea of what sort of place it's going to be when you look at the bunny slope - would be a black in a lot of places Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I once flew in by heli for the day, we landed in the car park, I felt like a rock star. Brilliant place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy