Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never skied before - first time ski holiday - recommendations please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going with a first time skier, I can ski, we are both middle aged, any ideas what resort will suit? Going first week March, he says he is interested in snowshoeing/ cross country skiing if downhill isn't fun, so we want good ski school, suitable resort for a beginner, half board hotel and are travelling from London. Advice appreciated. Sally B

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-01-12 22:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your first time skier will need to give skiing a good go, to decide whether he wants to do it, and if he's middle aged and not otherwise very sporty, he shouldn't expect to conquer it in a couple of days.

The choice of ski school might be the most important decision to make.

Snowshoeing is great - easy, and most resorts have some good walking options.

Cross-country, on the other hand, is NOT an easy option, requiring much better balance than downhill skiing, unless you're just going to potter around a dead flat circuit, which is pretty tedious.

For first week of March, I'd suggest you avoid France, as it's French school hols time and busy. Maybe Italy? The Dolomites are the most beautiful mountains I've ever seen but I've only spent a few days there. People who know the area well will be able to recommend specifics.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Courchevel 1850, stay in a hotel, lovely easy pistes to progress, fabulous restaurants, the most chic of the French resorts; it is going to be expensive, but real skiing is an expensive sport and in middle age one likes to live a little!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

it is going to be expensive, but real skiing is an expensive sport and in middle age one likes to live a little!

a great idea, but why pay all that money and still have to queue for lifts? Go to Courchevel out of French school hols.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SallyB, My late partner was 58 years old when he started skiing. He took private lessons as well as ski school-- and loved it! For years before that he refused to even consider coming with me, as he said he did not like heights, but as it happened it was no problem for him. He started skiing in Megeve, and then we had 2 weeks in Sierra Neveda, Spain. As PamW mentioned, avoid French school holidays, and Sierra Nevada gets crowded these days also. Lofer, in Austria, is one of my favourites too, a quiet small village and very good for beginners.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No brainer. Go to Selva Val Gardena.
Stay here- http://www.flora.bz/en/Default.asp
And learn to ski with these guys- http://www.scuolasciselva.com/en/Default.asp (ask for Lukas if the ladies require eye candy or Oz for a great guy and excellent English speaker.)

You won't look back. When you've invested in a ski pass, why walk up the hill? Confused

Ride up, slide down, it's the best fun you'll ever have. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are taking a group on the 17thMarch2012 would you like to join staying at Terra Nova La Plagne
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy