Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo month long snow brake- how to play game?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

Ok Guys.. I have spent second day researching on internet and still have so many questions and doubts that i have decided to create my own topic. I hope with your knowledge and experience i could finally start making my dreams come through.

I am fed up with my work and planing to dump it and do something which i love Smile What's that going to be? Smile

I would like to spend month in mountains snowboarding (however I would like to try skiing for first time too) and not spend fortune. I don't care about conditions as long as I have place to crash and access to clean bathroom, I am all about hardcore riding. Would describe myself as intermediate with aspiration to be advance snowboarder (crazier then experience allow me) . Ideally I am after freeride even though I 'm no so experienced in this field.

I have budget of 1,5k £ but Ideally would like not to exceed 1k £ if it's possible.
Generally my dates would be from 01march to 28th march and would like to fill all this time . However this is not hard fixed.

I have found hostel in Kitzbuhel, Austria which offered me bed in "backpacker section" for 25€. That would be all good if not their dates as they fully booked till 14th of march.

Does anyone could comment, advice, recommend all help me another way with making this dream real?

Many thanks
Pedrinho.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One more thing.

I have seen that quite few TO run their trips by coaches. My current profession is Truck Driver, however i have license and experience in driving Buses/Coaches does anyone know if it's possible to get jobs as an Coach driver and still enjoy snowsports while there? Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know someone who drove for Snowcoach and he certainly mainaged to fit in a fair amount of skiing whilst out with them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Okangan, do you think you could put me in touch with this person?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I see him. But he's not around here much at this time of year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Folks would you suggest me what is the better option for myself?

Would I be better off contacting tour operators and enquiring for 30 days long holidays, or should i try to put it all up together myself? Costwise is it possible? Also do you think it's possible to spend almost month in ski resorts (didn't decided yet which ones) on budget of 1k£ (with my own gear)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

do you think it's possible to spend almost month in ski resorts (didn't decided yet which ones) on budget of 1k£ (with my own gear)?

No, I wouldn't think so, if that has to include ski pass, food etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Often, the best season pass deals are offered BEFORE the season starts. If you are talking about 20-25 days riding on a budget, usually it is best to take advantage of one of these.

For accommodation, I would think that you would want to sublet a room- if you are not picky and don't mind sharing, you mind find someone who is tight on cash and would be willing to add you in to help pay rent. In the US Craigslist is good for this, but they don't get as many posting abroad.

Are you driving with your own car or not?

Given that the snow is good this year but who knows for March), some of the smaller resorts might have more to offer than they would in a lean year. If you have a car and can still get a reasonable deal on one of their passes that offers a few days at some of the neighboring resorts, this might help with the budget.

If you have no plans after the month riding, I would think that getting a driving job for the season (probably next) might be the way to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MEfree30 Thanks a lot for full respond. Let me ask you couple more questions If that's ok.

I know that buying anything in advance is always better and cheaper idea. However I have decided that I am dropping from what I am doing now and wanna go snowboarding. So what are the options for now? Is it possible to share/buy it of someone seasonal pass or just combining 4 weeks passes is the only options. Further more agencies that book everything in advance.. are they able to offer passes cheaper in package or it comes out same as I would buy now?

I don't think I will be driving there (cost would be to high and my car is from 97 -don't trust him that much Wink

I know about driving jobs.. I was trying to do it this year but decided way to late.. (February). I will consider new season. Many thanks for your info again!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I'd go to or at least look into Chamonix. By early March some seasonaires will be dropping out (injuries, home sickness, had enough skiing) so you are quite likely to be able to take over someones bed in rented season accommodation (you can probably buy someone's season pass from them for cheap too but I'm not sure how risky a proposition that is). If you can snag that then you'd get a good deal on rent. If you're going for a month you'll want to find some people to hook up with for skiing and generally hanging out and that will be easy in Chamonix.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, Chamonix would be a good place to go - and to start with, there are a couple of cheap hostels, I think?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, I actually looked at some hostels in Chamonix.. and it looks like I could get bet for 20-25€ night which is good enough. However I am wonder on how to buy someone's seasonal pass. Any ideas on that one?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedrinho, In most resorts, season passes include a photo. Often the photo is displayed on a TV screen as you pass through the gate in the lift queue. If you buy another persons season pass you might pretty quickly have it confiscated.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wags wrote:
Pedrinho, In most resorts, season passes include a photo. Often the photo is displayed on a TV screen as you pass through the gate in the lift queue. If you buy another persons season pass you might pretty quickly have it confiscated.

And be fined not only the full cost of a season pass but also be barred from buying one for several years to come in many resorts as they share the data!M!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Any ideas on that one?

Pedrinho, it's against the rules, so nobody is going to advertise on the internet. You'd just have to ask around in bars, I guess. And as Wags says it would be risky. So the price you pay should reflect that!

If, as seems likely, you are a man, don't buy one from a skinny girl with long blond hair. wink
ski holidays
Ok, and what about seasonal passes for the staff that works in chalets for instant.. do they also get them personalised? What about tour operators do they have an options to get hold of cheaper pass as they paid in advance then just personalise it for their client? Just looking for the best solution for myself. Thanks!
snow report
Not as cheap as a season pass by any stretch of the imagination but if your going to France you could try the Ski a la carte option.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have budget of 1,5k £ but Ideally would like not to exceed 1k £ if it's possible.

If you can find a way of doing it on a grand it's heroic but I reckon you need way more. Does that include getting there and back, insurance etc?
snow report
Agree that buying someones season pass is a dodgy proposition- at the very min, you would have to get lucky to find someone that looked enough like you that wanted to sell...a long shot at best and against the rules to boot.

Personally, I like the idea of finding a room of a departing seasonaire or something along these lines BUT might be easier the later in March you go.

I'm seeing some pretty good deals for week stays including a pass that might work with your plans like http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/groupon-getaways/snowtrex/2784288?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_21&a=2463

£553 for a seven night stay for four (Up to 67% off)
In a self-catering apartment with a six day ski pass and one use of Turkish bath each, arriving 17 March 2012 or 24 March

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/groupon-getaways/snowtrex/2786826
£587 for a seven night stay for four (Up to 40% off)
In a self-catering apartment with a six day lift pass and access to leisure facilities, arriving 10 March 2012 other dates available for slightly different prices

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/groupon-getaways/snowtrex/2786749
£569 for a seven night stay for four (Up to 39% off)
In a self-catering apartment with gym and pool access and a six day ski pass each, arriving 24 March 2012

Might be worth the punt to buy and see if you can find others to join if you have room on your CC
snow report
Bode Swiller,

No this is just for pass and accommodation. Transportation, insurance and food I will be worrying later.
snow conditions
MEfree30,

Yeah this is kind of my backup plan. If I won't organise something "my way" I will go for the options you have presented. Thanks for link btw. I forgot about grupon :0
ski holidays
Pedrinho wrote:
Folks would you suggest me what is the better option for myself?

Would I be better off contacting tour operators and enquiring for 30 days long holidays, or should i try to put it all up together myself?

no brainer - DIY all the time...I like the idea of trying to move into a departed ski-bums appartment, but i struggle to see how you'll find one unless you are out there, and you'd need a resort with a largish ski-bum / independent community rather than just tour operators -

If you can't make that work then place like the one in kitz (is that snowbunny's) or http://www.chaletarc.co.uk/ or perhaps http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-lodgings.html might work for you.

Your issue with budget is that you'll be looking at close to 1000 euro for 4 weeks lift pass in places like 3v, Paradiski or EK, but then is cheaper (550 euro) in places like St. Anton, but god knows how you get cheaper accommodation in st. anton.

I did a longer trip a few years ago and summed up some of the things I learned here which may be of interest - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330&start=253

In terms of the driving thing, I'd keep that in the bag for next season and get yourself a driving job with a tour operator (mainly minibus not coaches - as the coach co's are largely local) - unless you want to be going back to the UK every weekend.
snow report
I hope you can work something out here, sounds like a great thing to do.

and it's a break by the way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy