Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter - which week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm looking to go skiing over Easter in France or Italy (with teachers so limited to school holidays). We can either go on the weekend of the 31st March or 7th April. Ideally we want to get a cheaper deal so am planning to leave booking until late. Which week do people think will be least busy? I noticed that French school don't break up until the 6th April so would that make the second week more busy? Or will the fact that all the UK schools are on holiday from the 31st make the first week busier? At the momment the first wekk is looking more expensive. Also, how does Easter compare with half-term in regards to crowded pistes? I've skied at half term before and have to say it's not an experience I really want to repeat! Crying or Very sad
Thanks in advance for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

how does Easter compare with half-term in regards to crowded pistes?

no comparison - Easter is much quieter. I'd aim to go the first week - and I expect there will be some good last minute deals. But if you have the fall back of going the following week, you don't risk ending up with nothing! Perfect; you can afford to take it to the wire.

Make sure you choose somewhere with a choice of slopes - sunny side and shady side slopes, and preferably some access to higher altitude skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam. I was leaning more towards the first week (although the prices at the momment seem a bit higher) so nice to have someone back that opinion up. As you say, still have the second week as back up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not all UK schools have the same Easter Holidays. If you do a bit of research you will find that many schools in Wales don't break up for Easter until the 5th of April. Therefore your second possible week mught be a bit quieter as the majority of schools in the UK will probably be on their ski trips during the week 31 - 5th of April. You can sometimes pick up a bargain when there is a difference in school holiday dates.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another thing is that, in general, the snow cover will be gradually deteriorating at that time in the season (though a nice April snow shower is not uncommon).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have been away the last two Easter (school holidays, not necessarily covering the religious holidays!). First time to Andorra (Grandvallira), think we travelled out on Easter Sunday. Full area open, nice spring conditions, pistes were busy close to the villages, but fine elsewhere. Very few queues at lifts. Lots of Spanish and Portuguese students in town.

Last year we went to Les Arcs the week before the bank holidays. It was pretty busy on pistes and for lifts, however, it was very warm - there was a rapidly decreasing skiable area so everyone was squeezing up as high as possible. All runs to 1600 were shut, only one down to 1800, and one run open down to Vanoise Express - although last season wasn't typical. There were a load of students from Manchester that week (in various states of sobriety and undress while skiing).

We're going to go on 31st March this year, so the first week of the Easter Holiday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for the replies. Will keep checking the late deals pages now. Have noticed prices starting to drop a little - hopefully a treend that will increase!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're off on 30th. Sneaky day out of school but as all they do that day is watch dvds I don't feel too guilty, they can do that in the car just as well wink

If you're into self catering Erna Low have some killer apartment prices at the moment and are/were offering a deal in lift passes - buy 1 adult and get up to 4 children's passes free. Wish I'd seen it before I'd booked with Ski Horizon - they beat the price on our apartment by over £100.

Still can't complain we've bagged a 60m2 3 bedroom piste side apartment for £437.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Either week will be great. Go to a high resort and expect much fewer people, and some very good conditions (spring and powder snow.) There are often large dumps at that time of year - the snow depths are still (usually) increasing on the higher slopes. I have enjoyed some exceptional powder skiing in La Plagne, VDI, Tignes, Zermatt, and Chamonix. I would got for two weeks if I was you!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Either week will be great. Go to a high resort and expect much fewer people, and some very good conditions (spring and powder snow.) There are often large dumps at that time of year - the snow depths are still (usually) increasing on the higher slopes. I have enjoyed some exceptional powder skiing in La Plagne, VDI, Tignes, Zermatt, and Chamonix. I would got for two weeks if I was you!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First week will be much quieter/better in my opinion: A) French Schools not on holiday B) It doesn't incorporate the easter weekend and the bank holiday Monday. Should, in theory, be better conditions as it's a week earlier but it doesn't always work like this!
I'm off to Val Thorens. Leaving Swansea at 3.30 on 30th March. Driving through the night and hopefully skiing by 11.30am the following day. Also going to ski the following Sataurday too (wouldn't be able to do this as easily if we went the second week.)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a look.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was looking to go skiing the first week of April this year, but everywhere I wanted to go was either far too expensive or booked up. Prices for the second week were far better. April is lovely for skiing, even last April when we thought we'd end up with a walking holiday instead of a skiing holiday the snow reports were that bad!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy