Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate skis to consider (e.g. Atomic Vario Scandium)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of the recent threads on buying skis got me thinking. I've been skiing for over 20 years and have always rented skis, but just recently I've started skiing a lot more and so I'm now considering buying a pair.

I'm a SSE L1 instructor, and have reasonable technical competence and ability. I ski almost exclusively on piste, but like to ski hard when I get the chance - relaxed cruising around isn't for me. I have young children who are just starting to learn and so in the future I'll be spending a fair bit of time messing around with them, so I don't want something too stiff or extreme.

My next trip is in a month's time, and the ski I was going to rent is the 2012 Atomic Vario Scandium. I looked to see how much this would cost to buy and it's about three times the rental price, which makes the economics seem to be in favour of buying - they'd pay for themselves by the end of next season. I travel by train and so air carriage charges aren't relevant and there are plenty of people at my club who are competent at servicing skis and would I'm sure be happy to teach me if I helped out looking after the club's skis.

The Atomic Vario Scandium seem to be well reviewed, with plus points that match my skiing style and needs, e.g. http://www.winter-sports.com/EN/Skitests/skitestsmodeles.php?season=2012&id=187
but I would welcome opinions from snowheads. I know they're "only" an intermediate-level ski, but it's what I'd be renting and I don't think would limit me compared to something more advanced (for the time being).

So, has anyone skied them and have any views? Or know of something else comparable that would fit the bill that I should be looking at?

In an ideal world I'd try them before buying but this model doesn't seem to be stocked by any of the shops at the snow domes that offer that service, so I'm prepared to take the risk and sell them after a week if they're not right as I doubt I would lose much more than the week's rental doing it this way.

Thanks!

[edit: changed subject to more accurately reflect my interest in other skis as well]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should probably add that I'm roughly 1.75m tall, and 65 kgs in weight (5'10", 10-and-a-bit stone, ish, I think) so another reason why I wouldn't be able to get the best out of stiffer skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have skied on quite a few of the Atomic range. I have the Atomic Smoke and Atomic Blackeye Ti (2011's). Both are great ski's. I did trial a pair of VarioScandium's and did like them, with Adaptive Rocker they are a good piste cruiser and a average off piste killer.

It all depends on how you ski and what you are expecting from them. If you are more aggressive then move up in the Atomic range but if you are pretty happy with mostly piste and the odd dabble with off piste then VS or the Smoke should be fine.

I am pretty biased though, as I have only ever skied Atomic. The prices are pretty good and I like the designs. White Mountain Ski do good deals!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks andyfella. White Mountain Ski is exactly where I'm looking.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy