Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BMIBaby & Geneva airport Ski luggage query

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

we're flying via BMIBaby from Birmingham to Geneva this Saturday and managed to snag the free ski carriage offer but I cannot find any information on the max weight of the ski bag. I have booked 2 pairs for me and the GF but they'll be going into one bag. The booking form has no luggage allowance next too the ski carriage and when I called BMIBaby the foreign call centre fobs me off by telling to to call Swiss airlines as it will be going via Geneva airport.

Anybody have any experience of BMIBaby's max ski bag weight? I think from last years trip that it weighed about 15-16KG.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

We did this exact route 2 weeks ago.

There were four of us and I had 2 pairs of skis in my bag (big double roller bag) and they never queried the weight. I think they combine the individuals total weight allowance. The reason I say this is because at Geneva one of our group was only carrying a Board bag (with all his clothes inside) and they queried the weight which was around 24kgs. Then when we explained that he had not used the 22kgs case we had aslo booked they just put the tag on and off it went (well to the trolly by the check-in).

From past experience I think the allowance for skiis and boots is 18kgs but probably worth checking this. Servisair at Birmingham may be able to confirm this as they are the handling agents (I think).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul81 wrote:
Hi

We did this exact route 2 weeks ago.

There were four of us and I had 2 pairs of skis in my bag (big double roller bag) and they never queried the weight. I think they combine the individuals total weight allowance. The reason I say this is because at Geneva one of our group was only carrying a Board bag (with all his clothes inside) and they queried the weight which was around 24kgs. Then when we explained that he had not used the 22kgs case we had aslo booked they just put the tag on and off it went (well to the trolly by the check-in).

From past experience I think the allowance for skiis and boots is 18kgs but probably worth checking this. Servisair at Birmingham may be able to confirm this as they are the handling agents (I think).

So the 22kg baggage allowance is for you main luggage and ski's?

Hmmm, this could be a problem, the GF likes to pack heavy!

I'll see if I can contact Servisair.

Thanks for the reply.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No he's saying you have a 22kg allowance for your normal hold bag PLUS whatever the ski bag adds up to (he thinks 18kg) - hence why 24kg wasn't a problem as they hadn't used the normal hold bag allowance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
So the 22kg baggage allowance is for you main luggage and ski's?

That's not how I read it.

Nice touch that members of a party travelling together can pool their baggage up to the equivalent of the total purchased weight allowance. A tad worrying skis will only be carried subject to space availability on the aircraft. What happens to them if you pitch up to the airport and can't accept them?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BMIBaby website states:

Quote:

Can I check in sporting equipment?
Leisure equipment which requires additional handling including (non exhaustive list) such as bicycles, fencing equipment, fishing equipment, golf clubs, hockey equipment, musical equipment, paintball equipment, scuba equipment, skis and snowboards (Passengers who have paid the relevant sporting goods fees in respect of Skis or Snow boards will be allowed to check in one set of ski/board boots without further baggage charge), and toolboxes will be charged at £17.99 (€22) per sector per item on the website and £23.00 (€2Cool per sector per item when booked through the bmibaby call centre or airport. Larger items including Canoes, Hang gliders, Surfboards and Wind Surfboards will be charged at £24.99 (€31) per sector per item on the website and £30.00 (€3Cool per sector per item when booked through the bmibaby call centre or airport. These items will be carried subject to space availability on the aircraft and sports equipment bags must only contain the items for practising the sport. Ski boots that are checked-in without skis are to be included in the baggage weight allowance purchased during the booking process and are subject to the standard weight allowance fees when booked online.

PLEASE NOTE: bicycles will only be accepted if suitably packaged. The maximum weight of any of these items is 18kgs. All items will officially travel stand-by. bmibaby will not be responsible for repatriation if there is a delay. Any item not listed above is subject to the standard excess baggage rate.

While this seems to limit the weight to 18kg the allowance of a pair of boots as well without stating whether they are included in the 18k causes confusion. If you have booked 1 x ski carriage (for a charge of £0.00 in your case) I guess you could only take 1 x pair of boots regardless of how many pairs of skis you had in the bag.

I reckon a ski bag that didn't weigh more than 18kg would be acceptable. As to whether this includes the weight of the boots, I've no idea Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
A tad worrying skis will only be carried subject to space availability on the aircraft. What happens to them if you pitch up to the airport and can't accept them?

I thought that was a universal condition in airline T&C's, hence why we always try to be first in the queue to check in. Never seem to make it but thats another story.

Tiger2 wrote:
I reckon a ski bag that didn't weigh more than 18kg would be acceptable.

Cheers! Obviously wasn't looking hard enough. I'll pack on that basis tonight I think. Boots shouldn't be a problem as why normally put at least one pair in the hold baggage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
afrothunder88 wrote:
achilles wrote:
A tad worrying skis will only be carried subject to space availability on the aircraft. What happens to them if you pitch up to the airport and can't accept them?

I thought that was a universal condition in airline T&C's, hence why we always try to be first in the queue to check in. .....

I think not. If you've paid in advance with easyjet for skis, then AFIK they go. It is possible they may be held back, but the airline will send them on. As I read the BMIbaby rules, they could shrug their shoulders and say 'unlucky'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy