Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Madonna di Campiglio on 4 February for the first time. Grateful for any advice re the slopes and getting about the area. For example is it easy to get to other resorts in the area? Would also welcome snow reports if you're out there! Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always wanted to visit Madonna di Campiglio, know nothing about the area but it was in the first ever snowboard flick I bought in the late 90's (Odd Man Out)! What do people think of the place?

Sue Cymraeg, don't need exact figures but how good is the value of the deal you found? Let us (me, if no-one else is interested) know how you get on! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been there twice. The skiing is not that great to be honest, but the resort has some character and the food is excellent as you may expect from the Italians.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you get by there with speaking just a little bit of Italian? I read somewhere that english wasn't widely spoken
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I speak essentially no Italian but managed to have a good day out there in the middle of our week which we otherwise spent in Passo Tonale. I didn't learn any phrases beyond "please" "thanks" and a bit of counting, but I did make an effort to learn how to pronounce stuff so I could read signs / menus / maps OK.

I found that in Madonna and Passo Tonale there was generally enough English spoken to keep tourists happy, so I wouldn't worry too much. It's not exactly up to Scandinavian levels of English-speaking, but then, where is? Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mrpugster, I wouldn't worry. The fact that English isn't widely spoken adds to the charm! I am learning Italian, and have found Italians very friendly and welcoming, often telling me I speak good Italian (which I don't) and happy to try a bit of English in return for my hesitating efforts. If spoken to in rapid English by a native-speaker English, they can be a bit shy of speaking English, even if they know quite a lot, though I guess people in Madonna will be more tuned in than in non-tourist parts.

I did meet an old lady in a supermarket this afternoon - in Genoa - who wanted me to join her in deprecating the small range of hair products on sale (at least, i think that was it). I told her I spoke very little Italian, because I was English, and she then told me an even longer and more complicated story, which I understood scarcely at all - it involved her son, Paris, London and her fear of flying, but beyond that. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled I think she was a bit batty. At one point I thought she was talking about her wig, then I realised I'd mistaken the word for hairdresser!

One thing I would say is that the rewards for a very little effort in learning Italian are high. The BBC "Get By...." in Italian is very good. You'll have a lot of fun trying it out. I went to Cortina after spending odds and ends of time, over about 3 weeks, with that BBC course and it paid dividends in terms of fun and goodwill. My son's Italian girlfriend advised me today, if not sure of a word in Italian to add a random vowel to the English word and wave my arms around a bit. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it easy to get from Madonna to Passo Tonale?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sue Cymraeg, we took a bus, if I remember rightly it took about an hour each way. But that was from Passo Tonale to Madonna, it's not immediately obvious if there is an equivalent going the opposite way...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to say that we love Madonna and are going on 25th Feb for our 5th week. Madonna is now linked to Marilleva, Folgarida and since this winter also with Pinzolo and website says there are now 150k of runs. We have always found the skiing excellent, in Madonna itself there are only a couple of drag lifts, the majority of chairlifts are modern, and the 4 gondolas from town mean there is little or no queuing. We love the variety of runs from the lower tree lined to the ones at the top of Groste, and it's so easy to move between areas. Even in years of little snow, the care of the pistes has been very good.
Never had a problem not being able to speak Italian (apart from thank you, please, wine and beer!).
Have done the away day from Tonale to Madonna but never felt the need to do it in return.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sue Cymraeg, IIRC it's about an hour and a half or so by bus. Personally, having done it, I wouldn't bother. The skiing (assuming reasonable conditions) is much better in Madonna (esp if taking in Folgarida/Marilleva). The runs have more charm, better sense of travel, tree-line skiing.

The town is charming, but can be pricey.

I did a trip report in 2011 here

Do check out Antico Focolare - fabulous food and atmosphere.

On the moutains you'll do much worse than The Refugio Orti....log fire, character, peaceful, amazing goulash Madeye-Smiley

English is widely spoken - I had no difficulty that's for sure. Sprinkle in a bit of poor Italian...no problem.

In the main, everyone I met was incredibly friendly, helpful and cheerful.

Have a great time - it is a good resort. I've been to the area twice (stayed in Folgarida) and will certainly go again at some point and probably stay in Madonna.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry Sue Cymraeg, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for all your replies. Only a week to go now and I'm very excited!! There doesn't seem to be a lot of fresh snow there. Will that be a problem? Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sue Cymraeg wrote:
Many thanks for all your replies. Only a week to go now and I'm very excited!! There doesn't seem to be a lot of fresh snow there. Will that be a problem? Very Happy
Sue Cymraeg,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if there are lockers for hire at the Spinale Gondola station? Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ScaredyCat, you could try a pm to Wayne - he's based out there and would probably know.
snow report
Sue Cymraeg, There's plenty of snow there. Loads more than when I was there mid Jan. You'll have a great time. The skiing is all very flattering, and we used the whole area pass for the first time linking Pinzolo, Folgarida etc. Folgarida was rammed with people and was like being in a different world from Campiglio. Won't go back over there again in a hurry! The food in the mountains is better than anywhere I have been in France and with sensible prices. Hot chocolate is real melted chocolate - best I've had anywhere. Enjoy!
snow conditions
mrpugster wrote:
I read somewhere that english wasn't widely spoken

It is in my class.
Mind you we did have a chap from Yorkshire last week. Not too sure what was going on there but, hey, we got by wink
snow conditions
mrpugster wrote:
I read somewhere that english wasn't widely spoken

It is in my class.
Mind you we did have a chap from Yorkshire last week. Not too sure what was going on there but, hey, we got by wink

Oh and we have (almost) booked another 2 hotels in MdC for 2013, so see you there ????
Yeah I know, plug plug plug Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
It has to be one of my favorite ski areas. There is a lot of very long motorway blue and red runs through the trees and the scenery is fantastic being next to the Brenta Dolomites.
latest report
Couldn't comment earlier - mega computer problems!! Anyway had a fab time in Madonna. Great snow, brilliant wide runs, I even skied 3 black runs for the first time ever!! Very Happy Stayed at Hotel Italo - great staff, fab food, bus stop just outside and the town centre not too far away. Quiet resort really, but to be honest the weather was so cold we didn't really venture out too far at night! Went to Passo Tonale for the day - soo glad we were staying in Madonna. Passo was too open for me. Would definitely go back to Madonna again. Interested to know whether the other Dolomite area (Selva, etc) is similar?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy