Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late season- ADH vs 3 Valleys!?!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice-

Heading off with a group of mates 24th March, mostly intermediate/advanced skiers, maybe a beginner or two not yet confirmed, question is where to go!?

We have 3 options, either ADH, Meribel or Courcheval 1850.

We like a bit of a party, but don't need a massive après scene. We were all lined up for ADH but one of our group has reservations about the south facing slopes, that we may be looking for trouble heading there that late!?

In terms of skiing it would be great to get some easily accessible off piste action/tuition/guiding if possible, but we are quite happy blasting around on reds/blacks if that's what the conditions allow for.

what are your thoughts?

Should we consider the three valleys instead??

Any advice appreciated,

G
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiG, Why only these 3? ADH is prone to sun, it's not exactly late season but I've not been there at that time of year-god knows how this season will end the way it's started. Otherwise it's a large varied area. To be safe Val Thorens would be the safer option, good sliding, ugly town, not the best base if you want to make the most of the 3V network.

IMO Val d'Isere or Tignes would be better than either for what you want, also consider Les Arc/Le Plagne less on piste challenges generally but some cracking off piste lift served and otherwise.

How does Austria sit with you? I'll be in St Anton that week, can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be too! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All good points!

The restriction to those three because of a combination of a few things, primarily that one of the guys can get us a significant deal from a company that basically can't be bettered, then looking at what they can offer us! One of the guys was in Tignes last year and keen to go back so that ruled that out, and would definitely have been up for la plagne/les arcs, but just got back from la plagne three weeks ago!

When we looked at what was left these three came up as the best options, staying high, and the sort of accommodation we want. Despite allot of skiing between us, amazingly none have been to ADH or 3V, so really unsure of which way to go, I'm somewhat nominated as chief organiser (not sure how that happened!) and I'm a bit stuck Puzzled

Doesn't help that the limit of input from the rest is- ' I'm sure you'll pick somewhere great!'
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiG, Fair enough. Out of those 2, 3V for me. I've not been in ADH recent enough, a bit like Val T the higher areas (where the hardest on piste stuff is) is prone to closure in high winds/bad weather. Faling all else if you can wait see where the best snow is difficult if you need to move on a deal shortly though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiG, Courchevel has fantastic skiing and 1850 is the best base if you can get a good deal.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel 1850 blows the other two away.

There is no contest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't particularly like either the 3V or ADH but I have skied both of them at that same time of the year and ADH certainly seemed to be prone to both the cackest snow and the most muppetry on piste. So given the 'either/or' choice in future, I'd definitely go with the 3V.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I'd agree with Courchevel - 1850 is a fantastic base for good skiing at that time (or any other time, come to that). I don't think 24 March is "late season"; I'd expect to be finding some nice conditions in lower resorts at that time, though it makes sense to aim higher. Definitely, definitely, not Meribel. Quite likely to be slushy and access to other places not so great.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Accept that Meribel can be slushy at end of day but to suggest Courchevel 1850 would be better than being based in Mottaret or VT seems odd.
We ski Courchevel/3 valleys ex Le Praz 1300 and we can be in Meribel quicker than from 1850
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If ADH is cheaper it wouldn't stop me going but the snow is not the best at that time (could be a freak year!). Some of the lower slopes, that you'd prob not use in a week as they go below ADH town anyway, will be closed or in poor condition (Sarenne jumps to mind). But the main mountain should be fully open with good suntan riding to be had!

As said if price is no different I'd drop ADH off the list, if it's cheaper I'd still go!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't put you off ADH. That time of year isn't that late - in fact it is pretty much my preferred time to go to that part of the world. Not all of the area is south facing. The bowl around the resort does get a lot of sun, but really you want to avoid that area if you can. It is mostly green runs and it is where most of the muppetry happens. The skiing off the Pic Blanc will be fine around then and all of the area above Vaujany faces North and doesn't get much in the way of crowds.

If any of you are of an off piste inclination, there is lots of fun to be had and it generally feels more remote than the lift served off piste around Meribble and Courchevel. You do need someone who knows their way around though because a lot of it isn't obvious
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffk wrote:
Accept that Meribel can be slushy at end of day but to suggest Courchevel 1850 would be better than being based in Mottaret or VT seems odd.
We ski Courchevel/3 valleys ex Le Praz 1300 and we can be in Meribel quicker than from 1850

Courchevel is mostly north facing, I've done many years there in Easter and always had good snow, and only ever skied out of the area to the Mt Vallon area once a week I think..... We do ski off piste, so can spend a whole morning do a long run and walk out in Courcheval!

I'd be happy to base myself around Courcheval at that time of the year...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I once tried negotiating a deal on a pair of skis in Les Menuires at the end of March saying is was the end of the season. The shop keaper laughed saying "it might be for you but we have over a month to go"

Now back to the real question. My choice would be 3Vs and to look at Les Menuires (la masse is excellent) and Courchevel 1300. It is one quick telecabine to above 1850 and meribel and one back at teh end of the day. When we went in April a few years ago we could ski back to the resort. It was, however a bit of a trek through the village so we preferd the telecabine.

John
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't go to ADH so late with the south facing slopes unless there was a big proce difference. Been to L2A about that time of year twice before and friends popped over to ADH and it was in a much worse condition compared to L2A.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

My choice would be 3Vs and to look at Les Menuires (la masse is excellent) and Courchevel 1300

But why would you do that when your mate's connection can get you a cheap stay in Courchevel 1850?
latest report
Great, thanks for all the advice! I'm now leaning less towards ADH and thinking that Courchevel 1850 is the way forward! There's actually virtually no difference in price to us, so its all good. Love the look of ADH, maybe one to keep on the back burner, maybe next year! The comments in particular about the off piste in Easter sounds very promising. Plus 3V is on the list of places I must ski at least once, seems lie a good time to give it a bash!

Thanks allot for all the advice, as long asmthe others are happy think we shall book in the morning!
ski holidays
Was in ADH late March last year (one of the worst years for snow in a while) and pistes were in rag order, slushy and full of startled beginners.

Just got back a few days ago from 3V (one of the best years for snow) and I would rather be in 3V if conditions get hairy. Huge linked resort means you can get to VT for snow coverage as long as you stay somewhere near/high enough. 3V gets my vote for late skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy