Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difference between men's & women's skis

Poster: A snowHead
Other than colour, print design and model name, what is the difference between men's & women's skis, if any ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Length and stiffness, women being lighter and smaller don't usually 'need' as beefier planks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Generally stiffness (and thus weight), sizes offered (as meh says) and mounting point! All of the ripping girls I know ski on guys skis to be honest
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The lengths on men's skis is quoted differently to compensate for our tendancy to overexaggerate length and width. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndrewsPeppers, women's skis may also have lighter bindings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Men's skis seem to have a lot faster bases! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher wrote:
Men's skis seem to have a lot faster bases! wink

I wish, Mrs Kersh always whips me in the schuss. I wouldn't mind but I wax mine more to try to compensate and it doesn't work. rolling eyes I have a decent length of ski too, hers are comparatively short. Salomon vs K2?

Kersh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh, maybe you could have Mrs Kersh's skis "looked at!" Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No such thing as men's skis. There are unisex skis and then pink noodle things with different mounting points.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dot. wrote:
pink noodle things with different mounting points.

You talking about the skis or the ladys here? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How much to the mounting points differ and more to the point why? (in womens skis not women as I'm aware of the latter)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh, this barrowed from "www.ski.lovetoknow.com"

Binding Mount Positioning for Women's Skis
In recent years, a new theory of binding positioning for women's skis has become popular. Thanks to Jeannie Thoren, many women are discovering the benefits of a forward binding mount position. According to Thoren, a women's center of gravity is about one inch lower and further back than a man's. A female skier also carries more weight below the waist. In general, women have larger hips, buttocks, and thighs than men. In contrast, men are broader in the chest and shoulders. As such, they carry their weight above the waist.

When it comes to optimal skier alignment, these anatomical differences often put women at a disadvantage. The extra weight in the lower body pushes their weight towards the back of the ski, and into a position known as the "backseat." As such, when a female skier flexes forward, her center of gravity is over her heels. If you consider the mechanics of a ski turn, you will understand why this is a problem. A skier initiates turns from the front end of the skis. If a skier's weight is concentrated on the tail of the ski, the unweighted tips can either shoot forward, wander or cross. Many experts, including Thoren, believe that mounting the ski bindings in a position that is forward of center can help a female skier keep her weight over the ski's sweet spot, and thus gain more control.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahh, marketing to sell skis based on an unproven theory and some big generalisations about bodyshape then. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, Yup wink As i said there are unisex skis and noodles. Not men's and women's skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slightly unfair, I think women's skis have improved in the last few years and a few of the Volkl women's skis I tried were pretty nice. The Jeannie Thoren thing is pretty old and it was only ever one company who followed her. I have a pair of Auras and while not super stiff are not noodles and definitely stiffer than Rossi S3s. I also tried the Volkl Fuegos which were a great piste ski and a pair of K2 Tough Luvs which I didn't like but which were pretty beefy, Nordica women's skis also get a good name. Personally I don't like the forward mounting point of women's ski and have my Auras mounted -1cm and will probably mount -2cm as they are getting remounted soon.
latest report
lynseyf, touche wink my beef with most women's skis is on the whole many brands just use a softer ski, change the mounting points and put a feminine graphic on it. In my experience most women i speak to don't want a girlie graphic and like you said, change the mounting point back to where it would be on a unisex ski.

I don't like it when people refer to skis as "mens skis". when in actual fact they are unisex.
ski holidays
My friend bought women's skis too short and slightly wider than she wanted because she liked the graphics. They had pink on. Atomic Affinity Storms maybe?
snow report
Dot. wrote:
lynseyf, touche wink my beef with most women's skis is on the whole many brands just use a softer ski, change the mounting points and put a feminine graphic on it. In my experience most women i speak to don't want a girlie graphic and like you said, change the mounting point back to where it would be on a unisex ski.
I don't like it when people refer to skis as "mens skis". when in actual fact they are unisex.

... but where should that be? This article is old but still relevant.

I recently compared a pair of Salomon and Atomic skis (both Unisex, both piste-biased and the same length). The bindings on the Atomics (actually the same bindings as the Salomons) were some 2.7cm further back than the Salomons. These were rail bindings (i.e. set up at the factory) and set for the same boot length.
snow report
jtr, what shape were the two skis?
ski holidays
Dot. More or less the same. The Atomics were a bit wider (3mm at tip and waist, bit more at the tail), turn radius around 14 metres for both.

Over the years, I've found I prefer to move the bindings on Atomic skis forward a bit (1.0 to 1.5 cm).
latest report
Mounting points on different manufacturers skis are all over the place and it also depends on the intended use of the ski and good old personal preference. Park skis are typically mounted close to centre, while powder skis are usually a lot more rearward for obvious reasons. Manufacturers also have quite widely differing views on the optimum mounting point of any particular type of ski.

I also think it's unfair to label women's skis as 'pink noodles'. Some of them are excellent. My wife has a pair of Movement Spicys (super light and quite stiff) and Atomic Centurys (again super light for a powder ski and reasonably stiff). She only weighs 55 kg and doesn't ski very aggressively, so a lot of 'unisex' skis are either too long or too stiff for her. Plus she does tend to prefer girlie graphics!
snow report
I was kinda teasing anyway Dot., I actually have a problem with the whole women's skis thing, I would like ski manufacturers to make a variety of skis in different stiffness and with a few recommended mounting positions on them. I bet there are some men who would love some women's skis but would never ski them because of branding. Likewise the mounting point, some men would prefer the forward mounting point typically associated with women's skis. Take for instance Volk skis, rather than have an Aura and Mantra you would have one ski (a Maura?) available in soft or stiff and with regular, forward and rear mounting points. When you demoed the skis you would try the soft and stiff ones and try them at all the mounting points and actually get a ski that suits you, not one that has been marketed at some mythical average female or male.
latest report
I've skied women's skis, mine actually had acceptable graphics on them, but later versions of the same ski had far more flowery girly tops and I didn't like them at all. I skied the top range women's skis in the same class by the same manufacturer and there wasn't much difference. I ended up a unisex ski from the same manufacturer which was a step up in width and length and stiffness, but I do think the overall build quality seems more 'beefy' than the ladies skis that I've seen and that's despite the fact that I know that skis of this type should be bigger in all respects anyway.
ski holidays
For a good few years we've used the same hire shop and got to know the owner well. I just ask him to give me what is right for the conditions and where I'll be skiing. He runs a ski school as well and I've had the odd private lesson so he knows how I ski. I decided I wanted to improve on the bumps and off the side of the piste so asked for a recommendation.

I forget what the skis were but at the end of the week he asked me how I'd got on. Great! That was when he told me they were ladies skis. Maybe his message was that I ski like a girl but I think they were just a bit softer and more forgiving.
latest report
I put two identical pairs of kids 3v skis side by side, one pair had z10 bindings the other had L10s, both set correctly for boot sole length but about 2.5 cm difference in position!

Play with them, find where they feel most well balanced, don't worry if they end up a little fwd or aft for your gender! 6mm fwd on my latest pair feel great for me even if it is the "wrong direction for a man" wink
latest report
lynseyf. I agree. It would seem to make much more sense for manufacturers to make more unisex skis with different flexes and mounting positions. My wife hates girlie graphic skis and keeps borrowing mine. Would surely save on manufacturing costs and mean less dead stock for retailer's too.
Matching the flex to your weight and height seems much more important than what sex you are. I'm 5'7" and 72kg and have sometimes ended up testing women's skis because the men's version wasn't there in the length I wanted to try. The Atomic Elysian is just the same ski as the Theory except for the girlie graphics and a Barbie pink base.
Skis generally seem to get proportionally stiffer as they get shorter as the stiffer section under the foot often doesn't vary with length e.g the stepdown sidewalls on Atomics or any rail system piste ski. This seems to be magnified with metal/titanium layers. I was interested in Mantras but just found them too stiff for my weight and ability so ended up getting a pair of Bridges with a carbon layer instead of metal. A "Maura" sounds good. Ideal for a short back bottom guy who skis like a girl.
snow conditions
Snow_Dog, I've got a pair of 177cm Auras which are really nice skis but they don't make them in that length anymore, I could see a lot of guys liking them if they were sold as a more easy going Mantra in that length.

gatecrasher, completely agree about mounting points, there has to be as many men who would prefer a forward mounting point as women who hate it!
latest report
I was at the Hemel Fridge today and there was some Atomic skis to test, most of the skis they had were a bit full on FIS stuff so I took out
a pair Atomic Cloud 12s .. I really enjoyed skiing them but I find I'm walking a bit different now.

(I'm a 13stone Hairy fella. with 46" chest and a rear).

Now where did I leave my lippy?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, is it not a wee bit whiffy after 10 years?

Also "a bit" is not "full on". Can't imagine any uk retailer demoing full bore FIS sticks.

"I'm walking a bit different now", well, when the big lad says "bend over", it's to check your boots ... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@under a new name, .. the old ones are the best Smile
The retailer was from Hillingdon and I'm pretty sure they were the full fat FIS slalom skis, but I could be wrong.
snow conditions
Back on topic, it depends on the manufacturer. Some (e.g. Faction) only change the topsheet and lengths for women's skis. Some others, I've heard, make them softer / more easygoing. The best ones (e.g. Blizzard, K2) have a dedicated team devoted to making better skis specifically for women, not ladies' versions of the men's ones. I used to be a dedicated unisex ski buyer, but when I did a side by side test of the Blizzard Black Pearl 82 vs. the Brahma 82, I preferred the Black Pearl. Ditto the K2 Mindbender 106C Alliance vs. the 108ti.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@DrLawn, is it not a wee bit whiffy after 10 years?

Also "a bit" is not "full on". Can't imagine any uk retailer demoing full bore FIS sticks.

"I'm walking a bit different now", well, when the big lad says "bend over", it's to check your boots ... Twisted Evil

Ski Bartlett demo atomic fis sl at hemel. I bought a pair from them back in 2019 after trying them out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy