Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard/Ski Carriage on Air Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Has anyone been on Air Canada with kit recently (I think their rules changed in the summer)?

How much does a ski/snowbaord bag cost in addition to your 1 checked bag please?

Yes, I have looked on their website, no I still don't have the answer.

Thanks awfully
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Counts as a normal piece of hold luggage, no oversize charges, so CA$70 each way for an extra bag, assuming it's not over 23kg...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son flew with Air Canda 2 weeks ago, in the end he rang up to confirm prices because the website is so confusing! He was charged £50 for an extra bag and was told he will have to pay £50 extra for his skis on the way back. He is out there for the season so he has bought skis when he arrived, still probably works out cheaper than hiring.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. You are both correct. I have now called Air Canada and thought I'd put the info up in case it helps anyone else.

A snowboard bag as a second bag is exempt from oversized charges, so you pay a 2nd checked bag charge, which is currently £50 out and CA$70 (£44 today) back. Same price whether you pay at check in or at the airport. Ski bag would be the same.

Or, if you go with one snowboard bag only (ie 1 bag with snowboard and clothes in, which is an advantage over ski bags!), that is free, but only if you register it with them more than 24 hours before you go (otherwise it is oversized). To register you call 0871 220 1111.

All checked bags have to be under 25kg.

(Carry on bags - Maximum size 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in) Wheels and handles included. maximum weight:10 kg (22 lb))
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apologies for cross posting this from another thread, realised it was in the wrong place really so re-posting here.

Used the search function and found this thread and also this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85638

Got a couple of queries and don't fancy my chances calling a service centre in India so thought I would try here first.

3 people travelling UK to USA on Air Canada in economy.

If my understanding is correct we are entitled to take 3 x 23kg hold bags, 3 x 10kg 'standard' carry on bags and 3 x 10kg 'personal item' carry on bags.

We can take skis as one of the 23kg hold bags at no extra charge or could book them as an extra bag for $70CAD each way. The bag can hold multiple pairs as long as it is under 23kg.

If we take skis then we are also entitled to take 1 boot bag each and they do not count as an extra bag.

I have a few questions:

Does the weight of the ski boot bag have to come out of the overall 23kg hold allowance or is it in addition to this?

If we were to book the ski bag as an extra bag and pack it over 23kg but under 32kg (say we take 4 pairs of skis) then do we pay the extra bag charge of $70 CAD each way + the overweight bag charge of $100CAD each way or just the overweight charge?

Can we also take a child car seat for free? The wording states

Quote:
On itineraries where a 2nd bag fee applies:

A child restraint device (e.g. car seat) may be carried in checked baggage, over and above the regular allowance for an infant or child up to age 12.

On itineraries that allow 2 free checked bags:

A child restraint device (e.g. car seat) counts as one checked baggage item, unless an approved device is required onboard for seating an infant or child up to age 12 in his or her own paid seat.

I am right in interpreting this as if they give you two free bags then you must use one of them as the car seat if needed but if they only give you one free bag then you can take a car seat in addition and at no charge?

Just trying to plan most effective use of the allowance! Thanks for any info Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know, we were snowboarders so no skis or boot bags or car seats.

But the call centre were actually quite good, so try them.

You have to "reserve" as ski bag as a main bag if that is what you want to do.

Going out was fine, but coming back from Calgary, they were pretty snotty about kit and boards in one bag and we had to repack an overweight bag, even though combined bags were underweight. You may well be fine in the USA though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ten, thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
myself and my wife are off to whistler in December and have got flights booked with air Canada, they travel agent we have booked with has brought to our attention that they require you to have a rigid style bag.
We both have normal board bags and don't really want to have to buy new ones, has anyone encountered any problems with travelling air Canada with ski or board bags, I usually only take my board bag with all my clothes etc in.
Hopefully someone on here can advise me/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ive heard this mentioned umpteen times.. the only thing that'll happen is that you're drawn attention to the fact that, if it's not in a rigid bag, that they're not liable for any damage. But, tbh, it would take a helluva knock to do any serious damage anyway. I'll be flying out to Whistler myself this season, and those I'm going with have been several times with soft bags and never had a problem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ten, last time I flew with them 18months ago it was $100 each way Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Roller bag was fine. + no overweight charge . . . Skis, Teleboard, Snowboard and two pairs of boots in it along with clothes for padding, Dam near had a nut explode when I used the handle to lift it onto the scales 45kg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's great thought that might be the case, im not worried about my board getting damaged, just more concerned that it would cause problems in the airport check in.
It also states that you cant put boots in the same bag?? im guessing that this would only apply to the harder ski boots?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adam gardner, Mine were in there . . . do I read T&Cs? . . . perhaps I ought to. But I had plenty of room in my other bag if they had wanted me to swap[ them over. Wasn't asked about it at either end. . . . . C.E. this was 18 months ago.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
several airlines say "No boots in Bags", but it more refers to limiting their liability if the bag goes missing - T&C says Board Only so thats all they are liable for, not your clothes, boots, £1000s in camera equipment, antique grandfather clock you always take on tour, bricks of cocaine, etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flew with the a couple of years back. Was also worried about the 'rigid' bag thing. We were also told no ski clothes in the ski bag either. On both the outbound and return flight check in, nothing was checked and ski boots (in separate bag) were accepted as one piece. Flight was rather nice too!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From Air Canada's website (http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html#archery-skis)

"Carry your skis or snowboard at no extra charge

Between December 1, 2014 and April 30, 2015, you can carry your skis or snowboard as part of your free baggage allowance when you travel:

on a flight operated by Air Canada, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa or SWISS,
between Canada and Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
And remember that you can carry your ski or snowboard boot bag as part of your free allowance year-round, regardless of your destination!

Please refer to the Ski and Snowboard sections below for packing instructions and other important details."

Which, as usual, is as clear as mud.

If I were to take a normal suitcase (under 23kg) and a ski bag (under 23kg) on their LHR-YVR route, would I be charged for an additional item of checked baggage or not?
ski holidays
That offer was for last year. Have 'phoned today and it is 100 Canadian each way plus taxes paid locally and impossible to book online in advance - all according to chap I spoke to today when enquiring about Vancouver from LHR departing in December 2015 Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Hi all, first post on here so hopefully this is in the right place!

We are going Heathrow to Vancouver in March 2016 and I'm looking for some recent knowledge of the AC snowboard policy if possible.

The website seems to suggest that if you are a skier you can take as many pairs of skis as you like, as long as they all fit in the one container. However, for snowboards it specifically says that "one snowboard counts as one piece of checked baggage", and says nothing about the container.

Adding to the confusion, at the top of the page it reads "You can carry your skis/snowboards and boots at no extra charge provided you are travelling: Between Canada and Europe..." - this technically contradicts the first statement so which one do I listen to?!

I posed this question to a customer service agent who had to go and check a couple of times and eventually said yes, they would check my bags and each board would count as one piece of luggage. Whilst some may tell me to stop complaining and listen to the man, I simply cannot believe that is their policy unless someone can explain why it is the case (i.e. what's the difference between having multiple sets of skis?).

Maybe I should just take a trip to Heathrow when I'm next in the area and ask them at check-in?!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help!
ski holidays
Don't worry, I fly with them every year, it's all good. Just stick as many boards (and hard snowboard boots even) in a bag under 23Kgs (the answer for me is three boards plus one pair of race boots), and check it at no additional cost. Everything else is gossip and rubbish. Take board bag, check it in, job done. The check in people... just be nice to them and it'll be fine. You will usually have to take it to the out-of-gauge ramp once it's checked. Just weigh it first and breeze in. I'v e been doing it for 30 seasons and never had a hint of a problem
ski holidays
philwig, speaks truth for what I have seen when travelling with AC. Cost wise if its your only bag its free otherwise you pay the extra bag fee.
latest report
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. That sounds positive - I'll give it a go in that case!
snow conditions
@sarah,

If you're travelling to the US via Canada, you'll have all the hassle of having to unload your bags and clear Canadian Immigration, before you get near your onward flight to the US. Depending on which Canadian airport you're transiting through, you may be able to do the US immigration before getting on your onward flight. If not, you'll have to go through the same rigmarole when you get into the US.

And then, if you come back, you'll have to unload again in Canada, clear immigration and then reload via security before your flight back. (You can't pre-clear Canadian Immigration in the US). Remember to factor in the extra time necessary for this in your flight plans.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy