Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain - K2 Rictor vs Fischer Watea 84

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice who has demoed both the above skis? I am looking to buy a new pair and cannot decided between the two.

Stats - I am 6ft, weight 12.5 stone, would class myself as an advanced intermediate looking to progress - very comfortable on piste, mainly skiing reds with some blacks and beginning to enjoy moguls more albeit slower and probably currently 80/20 on-piste but looking to spend more time off. Have spent 7-8 weeks on the snow and have two trips this winter and planning to spend as much time on the snow in the future as possible.

I have been looking at the Rictor and the Watea. I want a ski that I can progress on, can use comfortably for the next 3 seasons or so and will not grow out of too quickly. Whilst the Rictor has awesome reviews i worry that the 80mm underfoot will make it hard to go off piste. The Fischer looks great but seems to be aimed at less qualified skiers. What i want (and probably doesnt exist) is something that will help me progress off piste, but will not lose too much ability to carve the piste.

Any recommendations welcome!

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK. I can't comment on the Watea because I own Rictors. Fantastic go-anywehere ski.

I too was worried about powder, due to the width but earlier this month, they performed admirably in great powder conditions. If you are going to go 50:50 then I'd look at something a little wider, but for an 80:20 or even a 70:30 skier, they are great.

By the way, the REAL benefit isnt when the snow is great (although they perform fantastically) Its when the snow isnt so good. Those hardpack moments, when the Ritctos grip the piste and just give total confidence.

I think you can spend your whole life looking for the perfect All Mountain ski and you have to let something go, whether its piste performance or powder float. You have to think what am I doing the majority of the time. For me, it was Piste skiing.

When I decide to tour, or I eventually go and live in the US, I'll go over to a 2 ski quiver and get my self some big fat K2 Seths... Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Marcopncarp

Thanks for the review. Lengthwise, i was going to go for th 174... does that fit in with what you went for?

Anyone have a counter in favour for the Fischer?

Cheers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just read up on a few german tests - the Rictor has one of the widest performance bands on the market (Piste & Offpiste) although they are for advanced / expert skiers. The Watea 84 is also a good ski but isn't so highly rated for short turns on piste.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote here for the Rictor - they are great in those not perfect conditions but are none too shabby on the Piste either.
Im on 181cms because although 6ft i have more (Ahem) toned muscle than you rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking like there's going to be a bit more Rictor bias Wink

I'm on 181 Rictors. 6ft2 and 100kg. Was quite impressed by the on-piste performance, edge grip, edge to edge (I come from a 67mm max underfoot background). Not had much opportunity to try them in anything more than ankle deep yet though.

Watea 84 was on my shortlist, but I've never tried them. think that's what bfg skis?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Rictor fans. Off soon to pick up a pair.... unless anyone wants to speak up for the Watea......?!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or dare I throw it out there, the Scott Mission.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for the Rictors (dont know the other ones tho). From your description of your ski-level i think the Rictors will be plenty of ski and wont leave you wanting. I'm 170cms and 75kgs and went for the 167s.

They are quite a heavy stiff ski so great in the lumpy stuff, stable at speed and yet carve well too. Wide enough for any off-piste you are likely to do at this stage.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or Movement Jams. Or Volkl Kendos. Or Atomic Nomad Blackeyes.

A friend is in the same predicament and has decided that trying everything if he can and then will make a decision. Somehow, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just a "what suits best and feel nicest" in the end. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only used my Rictors on piste so far (fingers crossed for this year) but they've been great
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fischer make good skis. Definitely worth testing/fondling before you decide.

You should check out the Dynastar Legend/Sultan 80/85 (or whatever the new name for it is) too. Brilliant skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all for your help. Just bought the K2 Rictors in 174 so will let you know how I get on with them the week after next! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went for the 174's by the way (sorry been in London working for the day) They seem the right length for me (Im 6ft 2) They are rockered though, so you could probably get away with the 181's

Off to the PdS for a couple of days on Saturday in what I hope to be quite lovely conditions, so will keep on testing and responding!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy