Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Alpe d'Huez - Hotel Royal Ours Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any tips on the best choice for ski hire from the Royal Ours? I can't quite work out whether to lug ski gear back and forth in the free shuttle or leave it with a ski hire place near the slopes and walk back and forth. Anyone stayed here and worked out a decent routine? Or any natives loitering with the inside line on the quickest way to hit the slopes in the morning, and the easiest route home in the evening?

Currently MGM hire at bucket mid-point seems the best bet.....

Thanks!

aj xx

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-02-13 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Defo take the skis back to your accom, that way walk out the Royal Ours and down the road to the chuch (less than 5mins) where you have a pisted run down to the chair over to Bergers (my prefered route onto the mountain) or the bottom bucket lift station up to the main DMC lift.

When returning ski down past the mid bucket lift station (a good final short off piste, or sometimes pisted, can be had from the top of the Signal) and get off just next to the outdoor swimming pool and you'll have a level walk back through the town back to the Royal Ours (again 5mins)! Good location in my opinion!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks manicpb - we used a mix of your route and leaving gear at the mid station after taking the 'mostly a piste/slightly a button lift track' down from signal. Only half of us ever worked out how to get to the run by the church though and I was not one of them, the bus kept coming conveniently by so I used that instead Smile Full review going up later....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When: 28th Jan -4th Feb 2012
Where: Alpe d'Huez
Who: 20 late twenties/early thirties couples and singles - mixed ability skiers
Operator: Ski France
Accomodation: Hotel Royal Ours Blanc
Lessons: ESI and ESF
Equipment: Noel Sport Twinner and MGM/ESI

Summary:
Excellent snow and excellent deal made for the best holiday in years!

The Slopes:
Flattered by some of the best conditions in years the slopes were excellent for us - however the lift system not so much. The main gondola is unforgiveable slow (the drag is faster....) and we found connectivity in general to be a pain. Old lifts, long flats, why-is-this-lift-uphill-from-every-direction, non-weather related closures (Chalvet, LievreBlanc, Glacier, some lift in a bowl I never even found out the name of) and we got stuck for 10+ minutes 4 times (Alp Auris, main gondola, vaujany gondola, main gondola again) along with a host of slow-running/jerky running - all gave a general impression of a lift system which SORELY needs some upgrades!

Despite that the area, in good snow, was awesome - the pisteurs left plenty of reds unpisted so you could enjoy the snow and there are excellent opportunities on and offpiste for an adventurous intermediate, we haven't had so much fun in years. Loads of villages to target, plenty of height and a real mix of runs - wide, narrow, trees, bumps, cruise etc. Beginners have more greens (real ones!) than anywhere else I've been - the only warning is that perhaps due to this Alpe d'Huez is serious about their blues - they seemed a little steep to me in comparison to other places. Reds not much harder often, and blacks variable as anything - some easier than the nearby reds up to some proper mogul field drops...If you are nervous - get a few days lessons to learn your way around and avoid nasty suprises - in the poor vis on the first couple of days I was glad our 1-weekers are both confident ladies as we found a few steep drops and narrows on various blues.

The Village:
It's a wierd spread out kind of place which, like the lift system, feels like it was either badly planned or dealing with odd terrain, but staying where we were if felt nicely lively and it isn't unattractive. Lots included on the lift pass including swimming pool and ice skating. Pay per go there is loads to do - dog sledding, curling, karting etc. Prettily lit too it's just a shame it feels so spread out.

The Accomodation:
We had £400 off to bring the cost under £600 and at that price point the Royal Ours is unbelievable.

Rooms are just as they look on the website - plush fabrics, king size beds, marble bathrooms - rooms on the top floor are double height and one of our friends had a second floor! Some rooms have jacuzzi baths, some balconies, many have cool 'porthole' windows and most have good views of the slopes or town - we were all very plesantly suprised, I've never had anything close to this standard before. Downstairs there is a free spa 2 saunas, a steam room, lovely pool, hot tub and a massage service (expensive!). The hot tub had trouble in our week but the rest of the facilities were excellent - we used them every day. Free robes too. Reception staff were responsive and helpful including spending a good 20minutes helping us negotiate the liftpass company website to extend some of our passes.

The food is a buffet but it's an EXCELLENT buffet - lamb shank, beef bourbignon, raclette, tartiflette, roast beef etc with salads every night including whole salmon sides, langoustine, sunblush tomatoes, serrano ham and other luxury ingredients used with a heavy hand. We were very impressed with the quality. If you don't like the buffet they will do a steak or cheeseburger on demand. Service was a bit variable - if we'd paid full price we'd have been annoyed but I think it was because we were such a huge group - they couldn't really cope and dessert in particular was farcially slow. Breakfast was good - loads of choice. All inclusive means packed lunch too (fine: baguette, crisps, water, fruit, madeleine)- even if you supplement it with a hot wine or chips and sit in a bar you are still spending a LOT less. One of the best features is that all inclusive includes the bar - free beer! And free vin chaud after you get of the slopes. Even spirits and mixer, saved us a fortune!

Location is great for town, ok for slopes - your choices are to hire equipment at the bucket mid-station, or at the gondola base and then leave it their overnight and walk up and down to it in shoes or the ski down past the swimming poolin the evening and walk back with your equipment and in the mornings catch the bus (we recommend berger - those lifts are faster). Both options are ok, but they do add a bit of lag to the mornings life would be better without.

Tour op: SkiFrance
Recommended for those who like to be left in peace. Travel etc was competent, reps spoke excellent french (rare ime) and all ran smoothly - but we barely saw them, no organised activities at all. Fine for us, probably not great for a single or couple who want to make some friends.

Ski Hire: Noel Sport (Twinner) and MGM
Both at the buckets mid station, both great. We were able to leave gear there overnight, friendly, good choice of equipment, bothered about comfort and fit. Would use again, no problems.

Ski Instruction: ESF and ESI
Suprise winner this time was ESF - ESI dissapointed. See here for more: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72209

If I've missed anything you'd like to know just ask, thought it was long enough already!

aj xxx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy