Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are staying at La Croix de Savoie, which I think is on the edge of the village. To save time in getting to the slopes we wanted to hire next to the telecabine - does anyone know if there are any hire shops there? Most of them seem to be in the centre of the village - is that walkable to the telecabine, or would be need to take a bus? (Will be carrying skis!)

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Telecabine is a short but uphill walk from the village centre but the ski bus runs through and up frequently and that would be easier carrying skis. Think there is a hire shop next to the Lighthouse bar/restaurant which is the closest to the Telecabine at about 100m, but you'll still need to get there. I've not hired in the village so cannot recommend anyone I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there are two up by the drag - two mins on the drag gets you high enough for the telecabine - look through my old posts to find names? That said it's not hard to get to the telecabin - it's not that big a place - anywhere should be fine Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's an Alain Sport shop on Routes des Moulins where we hire skis when staying at Hotel Les Airelles, next door - the Croix is further up the road, about 400m. Having got skis there's a button lift at the back of Les Airelles linking to the piste above feeding the telecabine. As Basil says the ski bus is the easiest for the telecabine if you're further out as at La Croix. There are other hire shops in the village centre too, of course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're also staying at La Croix de Savoie (Feb 9 - 15). I asked the hotel if there was a hire shop near the telecabine with ski lockers and they recommended Ski Plus (http://www.ski-plus.fr/?lg=en). I would be interested in feedback if anyone has used them.
I'm also interested in lunch recommendations that will allow us to meet up with a non-skier. I understand there's a picnic room at the top of the telecabine but can you buy beers and/or coffees up there? Are there other piste side options in the resort or accessible via a ski bus? The Servages area looks promising depending on the effort required to get there (without skis!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan G wrote:
lunch recommendations that will allow us to meet up with a non-skier. I understand there's a picnic room at the top of the telecabine but can you buy beers and/or coffees up there? Are there other piste side options in the resort or accessible via a ski bus? The Servages area looks promising depending on the effort required to get there (without skis!)

The website lists a few to choose from http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver/decouvrez_carroz_restau.php although from memory, the one at the top of the telecabine was not much to write home about - but at least accessible for a non-skier. The only thing is that it's a bit of a pain to get back there if you're off over the mountain
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan G, There is a large heated picnic room at the top of the telecabine (to the right as you get off) there are toilets but no kiosk/bar. Take your own (flask etc) and leave it in the picnic room while you ski, loads of people do it. Probably hold around 150 pers and gets a bit busy from 1200 until 1300 as you might expect.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a really nice restaurant at the bottom of the Molliet run that is also conveniently by the side of the road out to Flaine so probably accessible by bus too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan G, There are brand new ski lockers at the telecabin you can hire, carroz sports is just down the road, next to les arielles hotel. That also has a terrace at the back that you can ski to and as mentioned before get the drag back up. At les servages the bottom of the red timalets has the milk hotel and for a bit of a treat a smart michelin stared restaurant les servages across the road.

There is a free bus service around the village. The husky dogs that go from the bottom of les molliets, near the restaurant there are good fun for non skier?

Croix de savoie has just been rebuilt, all eco friendly, but its a bit further than 400m from les arielles! the bus goes from outside, just make sure you get on the right one on the way back.

The picnic room at the top of the telecabin will be overrun with kids ski classes, its uk half term and french vacances as well. The restaurant across from it is ok, and much preferable
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're just back from our few days at the Croix de Savoie. All went well - thanks for the tips here. Very impressed by the fantastic variety of skiing available with just the Massif ski pass. I realise we were very lucky with the massive amount of snow so well preserved by the ridiculously low temperatures. I will post a snow report a bit later on.
The hotel worked well for a long weekend stretching into the start of half term week. Thu - Wed flights are much more affordable than Sat - Sat at this time for year. It's a family run hotel and they made us feel very welcome. Rooms are comfortable with impressive power showers. The food was excellent both in the restuarant and the bar although a bit more veg would have been nice. From the restaurant menu the Scallops and Braised Steak are both highly recommended. A couple of possible areas for improvement, (1) heating wasn't always on in the rooms when we needed it and we had to phone through to reception to get it adjusted and (2) the bar area isn't very comfortable or exciting.
The other key issue to workaround is the commute to the telecabine. You either have to fit in with the infrequent (but reliable) bus timetable or be prepared for the 15 minute walk into town. Once in town we never had to wait long for a bus up the hill.
We hired skis and boots from Ski Plus and were impressed with the service and the quality of the kit. However they charged EUR 6/day for a locker. If I get the opportunity to return I will book in town with SnowRental or similar and take advantage of the excellent locker room at the telecabine as mentioned by carroz. It's only EUR 7.50/day for 4 sets of skis and this will be offset by the better hire discounts available online.
Either way the locker was important for us allowing for some apres before heading back up the hill to the hotel.
We had a nice Plat de Jour at Les Airelles. It is excellently located at the bottom of the piste. Hiring skis next door is a viable option for Croix de Savoie residents especially if you can leave the skis at the shop overnight.
The self service restuarant at the top of the telecabine is called Oreade. It's a bit pricy, but we enjoyed the freshly prepared baguettes and a large plate of poulet et frites also went down very well.
We stopped off at the smart Servages hotel for a drink, but resisted the temptation to book in for an evening meal. I imagine the food would be excellent. The Molliets restuarant also looked good, but we didn't manage to get ourselves organised for a visit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As an extra bit of info the brand new ski lockers at the telecabine are run by the lift pass company and they load the service onto your actual lift pass which is then used to open the locker. Great idea.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy