Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niederau trip report - Jan 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Niederau:
Oesterreich:
Wildschoenau:
14th to 21st Jan 2012:
Our family holiday: 6th family ski trip - 4th in a row to my beloved Austria. Wife and 3 kids - aged 8, 11 and 14
Basics : Flew with TUI from Glasgow to Salzburg, then about 90 mins by coach. All run like clockwork with a slight faffing about on coach (as I would expect) waiting for other flights.
Lift system : In Niederau itself, it really only has one gondola and one 4 man chair, plus a handful of drags and tbars. It could benefit from a couple of more rope tows/similar at top of hill to stop an uphill walk in a couple of sections. Auffach, 7km up the road with a free and regular bus has one gondola with mid station stop and a couple of compy 6 seater chairs, plus a few drags and tbars.
The terrain :
Lovely tree lined skiing in Niederau with all the nursery slopes scattred along the valley floor at village level. If you were a timid 1st/2nd weeker, you might find some of the pitches on the runs a bit daunting, especially if snow condistions now great. We preferred the skiing in Auffach as it was wide open but with the option of tree lined skiing a wee but further down. This gives you an indication
http://youtube.com/v/kH7vuYAFVmk&context=C39e16f0ADOEgsToPDskKf3ljhAwGY7bLuNFK16-dm The skiing was very good, if a little limited.
The snow : The snow on first 3/4 days was hard packed and abundant - which I really like. Thursday got way to warm and the snow started getting heavy but safe to say that a LOT more snow was on its way per this clip
http://youtube.com/v/Ygw87_aGjCw&feature=g-hist&context=G21ee88dAHTx3QMAABAA
Off-piste : I did not do but may mate and his son did loads (visit Whistler each year for 2 weeks plus other trips to Alps) and his son said that the Friday and Saturday were two of the best days skiing he has ever had - he purley stayed off piste and was waste deep.
The resort : Niederau is nice enough but quite bitty - no real centre and very few shops/restaurants/pubs to disctract you.
Food : Anywhere we ate was tasty and great value. No bad meals at all
Accommodation : Stayed at the Hotel Hannes and our friends stayed at the Harfernwirt. Our hotel was good - bedrooms very dated, or traditional putting a postive slant on it. The restaurant was bright and tasteful, as was the bar. The wellness facilities were excellent as was the host - Reggie - probably the best hostess we've had in a hotel. The food was pretty basic (ie tinned veg, powdered soups) but tasty and filling. Our friends enjoyed the Harfenwirt and it had fantastic wellness facilities and pool. They paid a wee bit extra to stay in the new wing, and had very nice rooms.
Costs: Best value ski holiday ever. Think we paid something ridiculous like £280 a head half board, flights and transfers. Beers were typically €3 - €3.50, Gulaschsuppe €3.50-5.00, (fantastic) burgers (ie 2) plus chips €7.50. I felt that the lift pass was quite expensive for what you got - for example I could pay an extra €60 or so to get the full area Arlberg pass, and there's just no comparison really.
Conclusion: We had a really good holiday and was timed perfectly with the snow conditions. The fact that we could not really afford a family trip this year was changed due to the excellent deals that TUI were offering. Having not done a package deal for around 5 years, I thought the service all in from Thomson was excellent. Geniunely can't fault them in this experience. The apres was a bit lacking sadly but I believe that the clubs to get busy after 10 or so, but no use for me if I want to party from say 3.30 to 7. In kappl for example the apres was much better and is a similar sized resort and have been at the same week of the year.
Would I go back again? Yes, but only if I was on a restricted budget and bought the extended lift pass to Ski Welt.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy