Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help a Newbie Please!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

My wife and I have decided to attempt and learn to ski at the ripe old age of 32. We have never been anywhere near a ski slope never mind a resort.

So I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me where the best place to get away would be at beginning of year. We were hoping to book now for Jan next year. Also, if anyone can tell me lilkely prices, best way to go about booking, sites to visit,etc....

Thank you for your help in advance.

Much Appreciated, Beaver !!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Beaver I was 42 when I went on my first ski holiday and i have skiied ever since
Passo Tonale was my first resort and it was great for beginners
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just been there with a mixed ability group, and yes, it is good for beginners, some lovely long blue runs, and compared with France and Austria it is cheap and also fairly snow sure.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beaver1980, like jd1960 my forst trip was to passo tonale and I can second the recommendation - unusually the "resort" is in a mountain pass, so the beginner slopes are next to the village and as you move away from the village, the slopes get steeper. This is great as it means you can easily ski back forlunch in the village, and it being italy there are some *fine* places to eat
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

We were hoping to book now for Jan next year.

it's a bit early..... mid january is lowest season, there'll be loads of choice and if you leave it till nearer the time you'll have a chance to see where the snow is best. And probably get a bargain. Loads and loads of resorts are great for beginners.

Meanwhile, where do you live? There's lots to be said for getting some lessons at one of the indoor ski slopes, so you hit the ground running (or skiing, at any rate) when you get there. That would probably enable you to skip the first beginner class and go into a group doing a bit more.

Another suggestion is - why wait till next year? Go on holiday in the second half of March/early April, when the weather will be nicer.

Oh - welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beaver1980, given that Jan is usually quiet time, I would wait a book a last minute cheapie. Personally I would head to Austria as the overall holiday experience is better of that than some of the other countries I've been to. Also worth getting lessons in UK at a dry slope or indoor place to get accustomed to having planks of wood attached to your feet. Enjoy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Passo Tonale!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1745569&highlight=#1745569
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beaver1980, I started a few years older than yourself, approx 8 years ago. Austria is great for beginners, I wouldn't advise a huge resort to start with although I went to two big ones in France during my first proper year of skiing and had a great time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The 2nd week of January is usually the cheapest week of the year pretty much anywhere, its also the coldest tho. As beginners this will not worry you, sidestepping and picking yourself up off the floor are very warming!
If cost is the primary consideration then Bulgaria is bargain basement but you really do get what you pay for there. Left til last minute you should be able to pick up an all inclusive deal real cheap £300ish depending on hotel you choose.
I loved Sweden (Are) great beginner resort, lots of nice easy slopes with beautiful views of a lake, some great days out away from the slopes too if the skiing gets too much for anyone or if non skiers with you. The days are short in January but they do floodlit skiing everynight on diff areas of the slopes. Only Neilson do packages from GB but skistar.com make booking independently very easy. Having said that we picked up a great last minute deal with Neilson for just under £600 self catering but inclusive of lessons, equipment and liftpass. Eating and drinking out can be very pricey tho.
More middle of the road in price check out La Thuile Italy, Les Menuires France or Montegenevre, all of which have a decent ski school, some great beginner slopes and are a little easier on your wallet than some of the more well known resorts.
I'm sure wherever you go you will have a great time x
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We were hoping to book now for Jan next year.

Meanwhile, where do you live? There's lots to be said for getting some lessons at one of the indoor ski slopes, so you hit the ground running (or skiing, at any rate) when you get there. That would probably enable you to skip the first beginner class and go into a group doing a bit more.

Agreed - if you're going to spend say between 500 and 1000 each on ski holiday then spending some time & money taking lessons in a 'fridge' aka an indoor natural ski slope -e.g. http://www.thesnowcentre.com/ Hemel, http://www.xscape.co.uk/milton-keynes or manchester http://www.chillfactore.com/ (there are more) will show you if you like/can do it, and then as Pam says when you 'hit the hills' you will get much more out of it...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beaver1980 wrote:
Hi Folks, My wife and I have decided to attempt and learn to ski at the ripe old age of 32. !!!!

Your far to old to start skiing, your well past it Shocked wink

Enjoy, being in the mountains is the best thing in the world . Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy