Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Slalom Racing Skis in Chamonix/France

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings snowHead

I'm currently in a rather urgent need of FIS slalom skis in 165cm...preferrably Rossignol Radical WC SL or Atomic RS Sl.

I'm in Chamonix but am willing to drive quite a bit to get them asap.

Cattisport is way too far and although Ekosport is relatively near they only have the 155cm in Rossi at 400 Euro with the bindings mounted and prepared.

Does anyone know where the smart shoppers buy their FIS stuff around here? Ekosport sells the 155cm Radicals for 300 Euros without bindings which is a great deal but I've not seen anything near that around here yet or anywhere for the 165cm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hydroeon, Try Ski Clinic in Cluses.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hydroeon, I think there's a pair of Nordica SL-Rs in Footworks' rental shop in Cham Sud, sure I saw a pair somewhere weekend before last.

Mind you, they are 2006 model year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs, Thanks for that; they seem to have a good range. Prices are a bit high for me but there seems to be a discount code box...any chance you're aware of one? Smile

under a new name, Dang I was hanging around the area today but I don't think I've seen that shop... What kind of prices were they going for? They sound ancient though if they're the real deal I'm not too fussy:)

This automatic French google thing is doing my head in!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hydroeon, Next door to Munster bar. Not so very obvious! I might be wrong, tho, but I can't think of anywhere else I was paying attention to skis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hydroeon, Do you have a race licence ?

What do you want them for anyway ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, I don't have a race license unfortunately.

I've just booked me first ski lesson for tomorrow in Les Houches and feel that I'd look out of place in a race suit and plug boots without some propa ski gear Cool

I've also had a compression fracture 2 days ago and shouldn't be skiing; period. However, we still have 2 weeks of skiing left and I promised my missus I'd be teaching her various stuff. I only brought speed skis with me and think it's stupid to go on them for now.

I need to refrain from going off piste too. I think proper slalom skis are the only way for me to stay sane this time i.e. practice and teach turns on blue/red runs for two weeks would really get to me if I think the equipment is crap too. Hopefully I've made some rational sense there; somewhere. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hydroeon wrote:
rjs, Thanks for that; they seem to have a good range. Prices are a bit high for me but there seems to be a discount code box...any chance you're aware of one? :)

You could try "soldesjanvier" for 20% off on skis and bindings at http://racing-ski.fr/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okanagan wrote:
hydroeon wrote:
rjs, Thanks for that; they seem to have a good range. Prices are a bit high for me but there seems to be a discount code box...any chance you're aware of one? Smile

You could try "soldesjanvier" for 20% off on skis and bindings at http://racing-ski.fr/

I'd go there tomorrow but the code says something about limit error.. I'm not sure if it's because the code is for "consumer skis" or I need to ask them instore... my French is as good as most peoples English around here so it's..erm...all French to me Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for your help everyone! racing-ski.fr told me to not to worry about the discount code as I can still purchase the skis @ the full price in store.

Nothing wrong with their prices but considering all of the current FIS slalom skis will be useless for competition as of next year I'll sit this one out and look for an oldie instead this time.

I'll check that store in town and failing that pick something in Ekosport.

Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hydroeon, Why do you think the slalom skis will be useless next year ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, Not useless but as far as I know the FIS spec changes next year and so anyone wishing to compete would require new skis which inevitably will make all current slalom skis worth much less (other things being equal of course). If I'm wrong please correct Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's GS, SG and downhill the regulations are changing for, not slalom. A summary of the changes here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okanagan, Well now I'm confused; I got my info from a Rossi dealer who recommended NOT to get the SL skis now as they will all change next year due to FIS regulations.

Judging by that pdf they're aint no changes being made and there aint never was planning changes next year. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hydroeon, have you taken a look at Vieux Campeur in Sallanches? Race skis tend to get reduced first in their sales as racers tend to want their skis earlier in the season.

I'm also almost certain that Decathlon (Quechua) up the road had some Salomon race skis in their sale a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, your absolute best bet is to find someone with Carte Pro who would be willing to pick you up something in either the Rossi pro shop in Chamonix, or the Dynastar factory in Sallanches...
snow report
Dang it I've just spent half of the day walking from one ski shop to the next (using shops recommendations) and NOT ONE shop actually had any FIS slalom skis which made absolutely no sense to me. One guy even said: "we don't sell FIS skis, only world cup skis" and pointed to some carving skis with "RACE" stickers.

I've never been to Vieux Campeur in Sallanches but their website doesn't list any racing skis and I can't seem to find the address for me satnav Smile

I'm within minutes of walking to the Kandahar and most shops seem to cater to beginner skiers on a budget. It's rather easy to kill oneself on most red runs here by simply not skidding and stopping every 10 seconds; great challenges all over the place but crap for beginners which are absolutely everywhere. Puzzled

FlyingStantoni, Do you know if the Rossi/Dynastar pro shop trade at RRP prices in store i.e. should I just order from Cattisport online to avoid being shafted? I'd love to just come in store and get what I want but I've not had much luck at all and I don't know anyone here with fancy ski cards Smile
ski holidays
No idea hydroeon, I've only ever been in once with a mate who had a Carte Pro and was picking some stuff up.
snow report
hydroeon,

You're having a laugh aren't you? I saw oodles of FIS sls last time I was in cham ( i am there quite often ) and no way would I want a pair to need to teach anyone.

TROLL?
snow report
under a new name, Snell, Solgnar (?) some ski-something, shop next to decathlon, and 3 other local shops don't have a single fis ski of any kind.

You can teach or ski yourself on snowblades if you want and I certainly wouldn't be calling you names.

I came here for advice on where to get the skis I need for the best price. Some great help here, just haven't physically found a great deal.

So if you know where "oodles" of FIS skis are, please provide some shop names, especially if they sell at discounted prices.
snow conditions
hydroeon, if you're happy to buy online then Sport Conrad is where you need to look. For example - www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/7495
snow report
hydroeon, he didn't call you names. Notice the question mark after TROLL? Where's the fracture? Sound's like you're getting plenty of hints on your ski search that you should not to ski and make the fracture worse?. wink
snow report
Dot., I'm very happy with the responses here Smile

Yeah I shouldn't be skiing but we've paid some serious money (£4k+) for our Eurotrip and as long as I don't fall and avoid others I should be fine on easy runs.

Slight vertebral fracture which at the moment is causing the least concern as I couldn't walk for about 40 hours without feeling sick after the fall. I'm still experiencing breathing problems (as in can't run for 10 seconds) and sometimes swallowing food. I've got a lump on the ribs/abs area too that hopefully isn't hernia but sure as heck isn't a light bruise. I'm feeling better by the day so far so whilst it's risky I'm well aware that I need to be extra safe and enjoy what I can. Confused
ski holidays
Ok so I'm finally buying but am stuck between two models; Rossignol Radical WC SL and Dynastar Omeglass WC SL.

Both are in stock but these Dynastar skis are almost always more expensive in other shops.

Does anyone know of any actual differences? This is what I noticed so far:

1: Dynastar skis list dimensions and don't have the "FIS approved" labeled whilst the Rossi ones have the label but not the dimensions since they're "confidential".

2: Top sheet is different rolling eyes

3: The Rossi maxflex bindings are covered in teflon and thus are less slippery in theory.

Thanks everyone! snowHead
latest report
FIS Regulations say the skis have to have radius and length on. I would go for the Dynastars, as they seem to be on the podium more often this season.
latest report
hydroeon wrote:
the Rossi ones have the label but not the dimensions since they're "confidential".

Then let me tell you a secret.....
120 - 65.5 - 102 radius 13m @165
(from http://store.rossignol.com/products/475313)
snow report
beequin, Do they? Not the ones I've been reading? And my FIS Nordicas say R&D for all measurements.

hydroeon, I'm still surprised. I saw fullbores in Snell, Intersport, Sanglard.

Anyway, whatever.

I don't like Dynastar generally, not since the gold red blobs.

1. Do you care about the dimensions?
2. What functional difference will this make?
3. See 2.

I'd go with the Rossis myself. Who cares what's on the podium? I presume you won't be racing world cup.
snow conditions
under a new name, The other day I noticed a Sanglard shop in Les Grands Montets (didn't go in) so maybe it was just the shops I went to in town that didn't have anything..even when I asked I was told that it's all special order.."if you want".

As to the Rossi/Dynastar confusion: they are supposed to be 100% identical i.e. just like look bindings are the same as rossi axial. However, the Dynastar slalom skis are often significantly more expensive (same price for me though). So; I've got my wallet out and am thinking, could it be that Dynastar ones are better made (since they don't make as many of them) or maybe Dynastar uses titanium edges whilst Rossi uses steel or something like that Puzzled

I'm going to pick them up tomorrow or the day after and just don't want to be one of those annoying customers who stand there for 2 hours going 'hmm... (grab the other skis)..hmmm..so..' Shocked

I personally don't think they would ski any different from each other but I don't know anything about the quality/value differences though.
ski holidays
You will have to have the legs for the Dynastar and according to a trainer friend of mine the slant nose lasts less in camber.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hydroeon, the advice I have had is that unless you really need several pairs for work, you won't notice the difference. I disagree, I must confess.

According to one who should know, my long Rossi GSs are identical, other than top sheet, to the equivalent Dynastar. Even though I don't like Dynastars, I love my Rossis. Call me fickle.

Vote with your wallet, you know it makes sense.
snow report
hydroeon wrote:
Dot., I'm very happy with the responses here Smile

Yeah I shouldn't be skiing but we've paid some serious money (£4k+) for our Eurotrip and as long as I don't fall and avoid others I should be fine on easy runs.

Slight vertebral fracture which at the moment is causing the least concern as I couldn't walk for about 40 hours without feeling sick after the fall. I'm still experiencing breathing problems (as in can't run for 10 seconds) and sometimes swallowing food. I've got a lump on the ribs/abs area too that hopefully isn't hernia but sure as heck isn't a light bruise. I'm feeling better by the day so far so whilst it's risky I'm well aware that I need to be extra safe and enjoy what I can. Confused

Really??? And you are still thinking of Skiing. 2 years ago, (at the age of only 30 - and still a fast healer) I fractured T5 and T6, a compression fracture, by lightly falling down some stairs on one of the building sites I was surveying. I didn't have the 40 hours of feeling sick when walking, but had other random sharp pains. I had a ski trip booked 1 month afterwards which I had to cancel. DR said all it would take is a simple fall and bam, you puncture your spine. So I did the smart thing, cancelled the trip, and made a claim on my travel insurance and got the money I spent on the holiday (minus 50 quid) back.

If you got this fracture whilst on holiday, then you can claim a good chunk of the ££ you spent on the holiday back.

There will always be other Holidays and more ££ available to spend on them, but you only get back and spine. Don't screw it up.
ski holidays
I'm going to be looking for some Junior racing skis this week in Chamonix, ideally a 170-ish GS ski, they do not need to be FIS approved.

Any ideas of where to look?
ski holidays
I reckon this is a pretty good deal - and another 20 euro off that price with code Albertville92. They're in Frontenex not Chamonix though, so 30 miles ish away from you? It gives you a price point to compare to more locally if nothing else.
snow report
Chamwow, Pretty much anywhere.
latest report
Ok thanks. Will start with the usual suspects in town and head down to Cluses if need be.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy