Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is it time to buy skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it after a quick search.

I was wondering at what point most people decide to ditch renting skis and take the plunge with buying some.

I've been skiing 6 times over 8 years, each time for just a week.

I am a confident skier, but after 5 years without a lesson, I'm unsure what catorgory I fall into. Probably just about advanced.

Question is, is it worth spending around £400 (I'm looking at Blackeye TI's) on skis when I only ride on them one week every year? Is it more economically viable to rent good skis each year, that way I'm always skiing in the latest models? Or is it better to get used to one set?

I already have my own boots by the way.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me I think you're better staying with the rental solution for the amount of skiing that you are doing. Add in the cost of transporting those ski's which is typically 60-80 pounds per holiday these days with most airlines and it just doesn't seem sensible to be buying. I'd think having your own boots is always a great idea but if it were me I'd stick to renting the latest thing when you go away.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally i would have thought that with only skiing a week a year then you're better off with hire skis.

Not only is there the cost of skis, there's the cost to maintain them and cost to ship them out and back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd like to politely disagree. The maths doesnt stack up.

Most decent rental skis (i'm talking about the equivalent of the sort you might want to buy) are easily £120 plus per week to rent, plus if you break them, generally YOU will pay to replace them, usually at hugely inflated rates.

In contrast, it might by £300 or £400 to buy some skis, and I've found its more like £40ish per return trip, but after 5 trips they will have paid for themselves. Furthermore, if you break your own gear, generally it will be covered by either warranty, travel insurance or home cover.

And you will get to ski your choice of skis, not whatever the rental store has. And you will get the chance to develop on the same set of skis each time, which should mean a faster route to greatness (assuming you buy a suitable set in the first place)

In addition, you will be able to trade in or sell on said skis (they shouldn't completely devalue with that sort of use) after a few years and buy some to suit whatever level you have developed to by then.

(god i like the sound of my own voice)..

PLUS, is it not at least partly likely that by owning some you might try to make more time to go more often? Or at least to the domes to get some use out of them?

And what about the whole shiny shiny new toy syndrome?

Come on! Spend the money! You know you want to.

Andy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think £120 a week is a little high. You can get some magnums for £65 or some VOLANT Pure for £90 for 6 days if you look around

even if you add in £9 for insurance that aint a lot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I am a confident skier, but after 5 years without a lesson, I'm unsure what catorgory I fall into. Probably just about advanced.

The money maths start making ski purchase worth it when you are skiing more than two weeks a year. Otherwise it isn't really worth it from that point of view. If you haven't had any lessons in 5 years, I'd be inclined to spend the money on tuition but that's just me. If, of course, you are looking for reasons to buy shiny toys (which of us isn't?) then don't let me dissuade you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gorilla - fair point about lessons actually. There is little point in having decent skis if you are never going to know enough to use them to their potential.

I still say buy some shiny new toys.

Anyway, not everything is about the money!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichTraff, I'd tend to agree with the wise marcellus, Waxing, tunings, scraping etc are a regular (weekly) expense that you avoid along with the shipping costs and the chore of transporting them >1,000 miles or so each time.

You have the opportunity to ski on the latest kit without the concern for depreciation, although as thepowmeister, "politely" says you also may not get your choice of ski or be able to develop you skiing based upon a familiar platform. For example, I've loved and skied my trusty Atomic Metron beta 10's for five seasons now and they are in great condition as i service them myself: I've had tremendous fun with these rewarding skis, however with new boots and a new balance point, which they sadly cannot quite reach, I love them less now than last year.... Would I choose something younger, perhaps the newer Blackeye Ti's - Yes in a heartbeat Embarassed Embarassed , but I don't ski once a year, so I want the familiarity and the economy of scale that thepowmeister, as that suits me better, but IMVHO does not suit you!!

BTW if you fancy the Atomic Blackeye Ti's...have a look at the Salomon XW Enduro 84 (2011) or 85 (2012) if you get a chance snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RichTraff, another agreement with marcellus to continue renting unless you rent a pair of skis and have a "revelatory moment" such that you really think that they'll make a difference to your skiing.

Or unless you really do want some shiny new toys.

I've just bought some new skis, so who am I to talk? Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are going for two weeks a year it maybe worth buying your own skis. Personally I would only buy, if I skied two weeks a year or more (which I do.) There are other reasons you may still consider purchasing them:

1. No waiting and faffing in hot ski hire shops. I know you can pre-order.
2. You really get used to how they feel and ride, and you will probably ski much more confidentally as a result. They become very familiar to the user.
3. Once you know how to service and tune them, then you can really prepare them extremely well, and be confident they will not let you down. This is also rewarding.
4. You can also ensure that you have the ski you really want to be riding, in the length you want etc - not always possible.

If you ski 2-4 weeks a year, particularly if you service them yourself, travel on the train (or car) then it makes loads of sense to buy your own. At one week a year you are going to have a pair of dated and underused skis on your hands!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow, I'm very happy with the prompt response. This forum ain't too shabby at all!

I never really considered maintenance and repair costs into this debate so thanks for pointing that out. How much maintanance does one actually need to do on skis?

In terms of paying for extra luggage for the equipment, I have to do that already as I have the boots. Maybe not all airlines, but certainly Thomas Cook this year say i HAVE to check them in.

I think the majority of you are backing up my concience and saying rent unless going for at least 2 weeks per year. As in 4 years time I'll probably be wanting some new skis with whatever new fancy tech is in them. This way I can put the money towards lessons and improve my game.

Hower it's surprising how strong that feeling of wanting a brand new shiney toy is. Especially with this £50 snow and rock voucher in my pocket, I could pick up some brand new Blackeye TI's for £325...too much of a bargain?!?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's what i bought, and where i bought them from.. so yes too much of a bargain!

Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RichTraff wrote:
I never really considered maintenance and repair costs into this debate so thanks for pointing that out. How much maintanance does one actually need to do on skis?

Not very much, basically keeping the edge sharp at the right angles and giving the base a wax if you want. It's only really if things start breaking that it gets time consuming or if you develop an odd waxing fetish but by that point you won't care anyway. Wink

I'd go skiing more to justify the cost if I were you! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Rental vs Buy equation changes dramatically if you are a "half-term" skier. The cheapest "intermediate" rental that I found this year was around £80. If only I knew what I was talking about, I would buy instead of rent!!! Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I Hired advanced Skies a few years ago and loved them so when I got home I looked for them in the end of season sale,

I ended up getting them well under half price, I paid £15 this year for a very good edge and wax and have just travelled with Crystal and the Area Lift Pass & Ski Carriage Bundle was only £22 more then the Area lift pass price.

So think they paid for themselves very quickly.
ski holidays
jamescollings, 80 quid for a pair of bog standard planks sounds a lot. My guess is the mid to low end stuff suffers a lot more damage over the long run of the season, and potentially a lucky buy on eBay plus servicing would even out over two one week seasons to match the requirement outlined by the OP. In my experience, those skiers buying decent skis tend to look after them and damage them less, however they are much more likely to ski more than just the one week which is where they recoup some of the outlay.
latest report
OP August
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
OP August

In a similar vain, now if you live near a Decathlon.
snow report
I've found some Rossingnol Experience 83 or Salomon Enduro XT800 rental skis for £91 inc damage/theft insurance.

To buy the Blackeye TI's, poles and bags it'd cost £450. A fair price actually.

I have to admit I love buying new stuff and thats probably the main reason for this post! I'm trying to justify spending the money. But I'm going with the rental option this year and invest that saved money in some lessons.

Maybe I'll find some nice shiney new skis at a bargain price next year!

Could anybody recommend either the Enduro XT800 or Experience 83??
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
OP August
and sincere wink
snow conditions
What the hell does OP August mean??
latest report
RichTraff, Cynic, Refers to OP= Original Poster = You, and succinctly you also asked when Cool

The XT800 is a tad softer and much more of a piste ski than the original Enduro which are fabulous. Personally I'd prefer the Blackeye ti's or the Salomon XW Fury which I've bought for both my sons. But with one week a year, the answer is that you really would be better off hiring.
snow report
Hmm... not sure I buy all this.

If it was a purely economic decision most people would still be in hire boots, renting a set of golf clubs every time they played a round, a bike for every ride, a board and wetsuit every time they went surfing etc.

There comes a point where it makes sense. I'd say if you're worrying about buying skis then you're probably right, you don't need them; when you feel like it makes sense then go for it.

Be prepared for a garage/loft full a few years later but... wink
ski holidays
oz5000, Boots are easy to transport and very little care/service support required: Skis are long pointy things with boot grips AKA bindings.

If you follow your argument people would rent/hire underpants (no thanks Embarassed )...whereas if you consider skis in a similar vein to a DJ/Tux for black tie functions there comes a time when it's more economical to own or or two, depending upon your social agenda rolling eyes
ski holidays
oz5000, errrrm no!!

Boots are critical to comfort whilst skiing.... if your feet are uncomfortable it doesn't matter what you clip to your feet you're not going to have fun.... then there's the hygiene angle :zomit:

As for your analogies;

> if a golfer played 36 rounds in 8 years (an average of 4 per year) then yes they probably would still hire clubs!!
> if a cyclist rode a bike 4 times a year then would they really have a brand spanking new one in their Garage?
> Windsurfers..... would they really shell out over £1000 for the 4 times they need it a year?

I THINK NOT!!

As for pants.... Clive you're sick!!
snow report
Thats what I thought about with the boots. I wasn't bothered about it being economical or not. I just really wanted a pair of boots that suited me perfectly and were only ever worn by myself. I also figured I could probably have my boots for 8-10 years without the need to replace them, therefore being kind of economical in the long run.

Are the experience 83's any good as an All Mountain option or are they more piste based too?

Just thought I'd ask, does anybody here take their boots on their flight as hand luggage?
snow conditions
RichTraff, There was an Easyjet flight when a group wore their boots to travel in. Provided they fit in your hand luggage in terms of size or weight if applicable there should be no problem, unless prohibited by the airline.

Apologies to marcellus, If the "U" word caused any discomfort. Embarassed
latest report
RichTraff wrote:

Question is, is it worth spending around £400 (I'm looking at Blackeye TI's) on skis when I only ride on them one week every year? Is it more economically viable to rent good skis each year, that way I'm always skiing in the latest models? Or is it better to get used to one set?

I think it would be hard to justify financially at £400 for just a week a year, but how about buying last season's stock or ex-demo skis at around half price? Ski models don't change that fast, often just top sheet graphics between model years. If you bought a pair of decent skis for say £250, used them for 3 weeks, you could realistically sell them on for say £100. So that's a net cost of only £150 plus any travel costs and servicing (which should be minimal on 3 weeks use, especially if you do it yourself).

Also nice to have your own gear that you know is good to go. Rental shops can be inconsistent and there's nothing worse than being faced with a long rental queue on a powder day (if you couldn't make it the night before of course)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, Nice idea but in reality, servicing skis isn't an economic proposition for RichTraffdue to the cost of the kit with a very basic minimum vice costing >£100 for all mountain skis plus: Iron, Wax, scraper/s, edge tool, de-burrer. brushes, wax remover that's at least £200 (my own toolkit is somewhat more extensive, including a P-Tex gun
I service the family skis, usually my own, but can be up to six pairs at a time, hence the pro-workshop kit comes in useful.
snow report
Jivebaby, I use my B & D workmate as a vice, an old travel iron and some cheap files. If you improvise it needn't cost that much.
snow conditions
Benefits of renting
---------------------

* No carriage costs (can be expensive if you have to use more than one flight to get to a destination)
* No servicing costs (you might spend between £10-£40 a year servicing a pair of skis, cost depends on whether you DIY or get it done for you)
* You are not committed to one particular ski, and can upgrade or go for cheaper pair depending on your needs that week. Maybe even try snowboarding
* low useage makes this route economical

Benefits of buying
--------------------

* If you are spending more than one week a year skiing, it will significantly reduce costs
* If you live near a hill, or even a ski station, you can spend the odd day on the hill
* You learn how to wax and edge your skis, and how to look after them (and consequently look after your own safety)
* No queueing for ski hire, and no need to return skis after
* They will be a perfect fit for your boots always
* High useage makes this route economical

I used to rent for 6 years, and then decided to buy. Once bought, I then decided to get a van and go skiing in it. Have you ever tried hiring a pair of skis, when you live in a van? Imagine the scenario: Ski shop "where do you live?", you "in the car park", ski shop "what is your landline telephone number?", you "I only have a mobile", Ski shop " Sorry, you would be better off buying a pair than renting"

Also have you ever tried hiring a pair in Scotland? The queues are enormous, and they often sell out completely. You are given a pair of knackered old skis, which cost you a fortune. Best option, buy a pair!

rolling eyes
snow report
Jivebaby, Jesus, he's only planning on skiing 1 week per year. All he needs is a basic edge sharpening tool and some cheap wax to slap on. Alternatively a basic shop service is not going to be massively expensive once a year.
snow report
uktrailmonster, What you're suggesting is that a complete novice waxes/edges/tunes his skis with no training, an edge tool and wax which he somehow slaps on: Incroyable

Perhaps you'll be suggesting that we all service our cars with a penknife and a plank of wood in lieu of a jack Puzzled

On the basis of your comprehensive ski maintenance suggestions I'll be happy to disagree with you and leave it at that to save time. Embarassed Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Jivebaby wrote:
What you're suggesting is that a complete novice waxes/edges/tunes his skis with no training, an edge tool and wax which he somehow slaps on: Incroyable

Skullie Skullie Skullie THE HORROR!!!

sorry but it's not exactly hard and I'm a girl NehNeh
snow report
wow - looks like I am lucky to have survived my home tuning applying wax with a travel iron, removing it with a plastic scraper and tidying up edges with a diamond stone. all done without the benefit of a vice!!!

i get a proper shop service if the edges get proud or i get a bad coreshot
snow conditions
haha I use an old iron I found sitting next to a bin, it's great cause it's really old and not steam, the cords a bit frayed though Skullie
ski holidays
I'm (at the moment) a once a year intermediate skier and I got my own skis April-ish last year and I am so glad I did. It was a pretty big risk but I was really surprised at how much better my own skis felt this year compared to the hire skis I had last year. I finally have a pair of skis with decent edges so I'm not freaking out each time things get a bit icy, they are whizzy over fresh and pisted snow and they look totally cool! I am very much a confidence skier and so I reckoned having consistency with skis is only going to help me and so far so good.

Take the plunge!
latest report
my wife does get a bit annoyed with the blobs of wax which appear on our kitchen work surface when i decide it is too cold to do my ski servicing in the garden Skullie Skullie Skullie
latest report
This is killing me. Some of you are really tempting me. £375 for Blackeye TI's with bag, minus the £100 what I'd spend on hire. It's only an extra £275 out of my pocket this year.

Mmm, Nahhh. It'd be exciting now but come August I'd be regret I didn't spend that money on a motorbike whilst my skis are gathering dust! Even more so if all my mates decide not to go skiing next year.

Lessons this year. Ski's next year. 100% so if I go for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
Where can I get the Blackeye TIs for 375 inc a bag? I was just about to order a pair (375 without a bag) but the bag would be nice...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy