Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Joint lift pass - Big Sky and Moonlight Basin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been researching options for this winter, and found that you can now get joint lift tickets for Big Sky and Moonlight Basin. The new area is claimed to be bigger than Vail - but I guess it'll only have a fraction of the number of skiers.

I know it's well off the beaten tracks for UK skiers, but is anyone familiar with Moonlight's slopes? Is the joint area bigger and better or just bigger? And would staying at MB be a sensible alternative to being based at BS, or would it just make a trip to the southern end of the ski area a ridiculously long haul?

I've never enjoyed a skiing trip as much as my visit to Big Sky last year. I'm hoping that this development might have made Paradise an even better place!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The joint ticket is going to open up tons of steep area at Moonlight Basin. Most of the current Moonlight Basin terrain is considered intermediate by local standards. The main reason locals ski there is the tickets are cheap and the sparser crowds mean the powder lasts longer (often for days during the week.) Moonlight has some good glade areas that are fun to ski but all the steep terrain was only accessible by hiking. Under the agreement you will be able to take Challenger chair at Big Sky to ski down the Nashville Bowl (which Moonlight has renamed Headwaters) into Moonlight or you can take the Tram and ski down the northside of Lone Mountain into Moonlight. I've been ogling the area off the tram this summer.....its going to be great.

One great advantage of the joint ticket is Moonlight is a northern facing area while most of Big Sky faces east or south. During January and early February north facing areas in SW Montana can experience wicked flat light in the afternoon even on clear days. The joint ticket will allow someone skiing Moonlight to move over to terrain with better light in the afternoon. Later in the season the north facing slopes will have an advantage. There are spring days at Big Sky where you'll get a 12" dump which doesn't get skied out due to the lack of skiers resulting in an unskiable mush. Moonlight's powder stays fluffy holds much longer in the spring.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info, Rio - it's good to hear the informed voice of a local. I like the idea of runs that retain their powder even longer than those at Big Sky.

How steep is steep? Does the new area compare with, say, Liberty Bowl or is it much tougher? If so, it'll be out of bounds for me, I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The terrain off the tram going into Moonlight will be as steep as Liberty Bowl and longer. The terrain in the Nashville Bowl is as steep, but with narrower chutes. If you are looking for something saner then the glade runs at Moonlight might suit you well. The area they expanded into this past season was originally developed for cat skiing by thinning out the trees but not removing them all. They have enough pitch to keep your speed up in deep powder but not extreme. Their pitch is around that found on Tippy's Tumble or Elk Park Ridge at Big Sky. They are the runs where the powder holds up best at Moonlight.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It sounds awesome. Long gladed runs with everlasting powder... amazing.

I wonder if any Snowheads want to fund a trip for me and the kids?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny Jones wrote:
It sounds awesome. Long gladed runs with everlasting powder... amazing.

I wonder if any Snowheads want to fund a trip for me and the kids?

I have a double bed and two couches I'd let you use for a low price.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy