Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Contour GPS vs Camsports HDMax Extreme vs Drift170HD

Poster: A snowHead
I know, another headcam thread ...... but I wanted to start another to try and tease some info out about the Camsports HD Max Extreme.

So, it's my birthday next week and what do I want ... well a headcam but which one is driving me round the bend.

I did consider the GoPro but i've gone off it slightly after skiing in December with a mate of mine who has a Hero HD. It was the first time i'd ever got my hands on a GoPro and I was quite surprised how heavy it was. This was demonstrated when my mate who has a well fitting helmet, needed a beeny under it to keep the his helmet and GoPro from wobbling about. In addition, my mate did look a bit of a twonk with periscope on his head! As a result, i've got my eye on a smaller bullet cam.

The Contour GPS and the HD Max Extreme have both been used by the Ski Sunday team over the last 2 years so if it's good enough for them, i'll certainly be good enough for me. The questions is, which one?

Does anyone have the HD Max Extreme and what do you think? Pros are the screen to review things for sure but the lense at the front looks a bit vunerable. The Contour GPS looks more compact, less bulky but lacks the screen .. and I don't have the phone which will work the app so I can connect to it, but that's easily sorted. The Drift170 HD seams to tick all the boxes.

Help, I can't decide. Last week I was about to buy a HD Max Extreme, i'm now tempted by the Contour ....

Kersh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Drift HD 170 but the now older
model which is slightly larger. The new one is smaller and neaterBut quite a lot more expensive. I paid £128 for mine, it takes the same shots as the new one but the new one is probably lighter. When I first used mine last week I did feel the weight a little but soon adjusted to it. The footage is very good quality. Have you seen the new goggles with built in hd video ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty, cheers for the info. I've seen the Camsports Sunglasses with built in cam but not goggles. To be honest, i'll use the camera for mountain biking etc too so probably won't buy a cam incorporated into goggles. Sounds great though! Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kersh, glad you have started the thread, I have just watched 'Countryfile' and in the cayaking piece they seemed to have Go Pro cameras and likewise in the abseil.

I have 2 Drift x170 (not hd), which bought 2 years ago seem to have all the ticks.

So my question is, which one gives the best playback.

I am sure you guys have all the various headcams available.

cheers in advance
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roche1800, the screen on the HD Max Extreme looks pretty big so playback looks easy. You can also connect it to your TV while on holiday too. Another advantage is there is a mic-in port on the bottom of the camera so if you want to commentate your run, you can.

Did they just use the GoPro on Countryfile? I'm interested as if they went cayaking, the cam would need to be waterproof which I know the Campsports is not.

Thanks
Kerhs
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kersh, cheers, all I can tell you is that they used the Go Pro, unsure which model.

Maybe you can find it on the net, the programme from last night.

The playback from the camera seemed to be brilliant, unless some techies did some magic to show the footage on tv!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roche1800, cheers, i'll check out the iPlayer.

Does anyone have a Camsports HD MAX Extreme and what do you think?

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They mostly use the gopro or the gopro 2 as the footage is as near to broadcast quality as you get in a box about twice the size of a matchbox. There are some thing you can do in post processing to make things look better but as with most things you can't polish a turd.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1, You may not be able to polish a turd, but you can always cover it with glitter Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1 & Scarpa, more GoPro's attached to light aircraft on BBC2 last night, lots of them! Footage looked good ... but the BBC are also using the HD Max Extreme and Coutour HD on Ski Sunday. So, which one?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The guys i know at the bbc tell me they use the hd extreme and contour because they are easier for the guys to hold and also arent as obtrusive to the viewer but also because the one they mount on gb's ski is easier to mount. They also have told me personally that the hero 2 is as near to broadcast quality in most pov circumstances that doesnt make any difference.

The hero and hero 2 do have a problem with the form factor but i dont think personally it is that big an issue in general and the quality of the output is pretty much the best of the bunch.

if you want something that is flexible and top quality then in my view (i am biased) then it is the hero2, the other cameras are good and video quality is good but remember the heros are fully waterproof to 60metres, they have many mounting options and the hero2 can do 120fps or time lapse still photography.

but what do i know,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1, sounds like you know quite a lot .. and have friends who know more!!

Maybe I shoudn't write off the GoPro. Certainly reading these forums, seams the price for the Hero2 is coming down.

Has to be said, I would quite like the camera to be a bit more discrete which is one of the reasons i'm looking at the smaller cams. That said, i'm buying the thing to shoot video so if the quality is rubbish, I may aswell spend my money on beer!

Kersh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the drift hd170 stealth and in my opinion it's fantastic - it will record in up to 1080p hd - the footage it takes is clear and crisp. It can shoot at 60 frames / second which is more than enough for any super slo-mo editing. It has a screen on the side of it you can use as a viewfinder and to replay the clips on. Great for having a laugh about the massive wipe out you just had whilst on the chair lift on the way back up. As standard in the box comes with quite a few mounting options including the very useful goggle strap mount making it easy to swap between friends to get great footage of everyone. The other thing I like about it is that it doesn't stick out too much like a go pro - one lad lost his off his helmet on our last trip when he had a big fall just because of the leverage forces exerted on the mount.

Wins hands down I reckon - oh and it's cheap too - I think I paid £130 off amazon - a fraction of the price of the go pro with a lot more features.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ANDYDAWKS, thanks. What's the sound like on the Drift?

Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the sound quality is good - you can hear any conversations ou have and the wind noise isnt bad either - bearing in mind that the sound is taken through a waterproof mic. if you want really good sound then you can get an external mic which plugs in the back - the sound quality isnt normally an issue for me as i usually mute the audio feed on the computer and put music over the top in the editing process.
latest report
ANDYDAWKS, ok sounds good. I've heard there is a slight issue plugging the mic in the back as you have to use it with the back door open which leaves the battery and memory card a bit exposed?

Cheers
snow report
I just bought myself a GoPro Hero Wide off Ebay, it comes with a 2gb memory card already.
Have I made a big mistake going for the slightly cheaper option and not getting the HD one? and should 2gb memory be okay as its standard def?

Thanks!
ski holidays
Got a contour HD and my kids, right down to the 8 year old have no problem using it on their goggle straps
snow conditions
Kersh, have a look at the contour roam...it's their new entry model. comes with a sharper lens, is waterproof to 1m out of the box (which the gps isnt) and is quite a bit cheaper. Personally i think the gps is a bit gimmicky but if you really want it you might be better off getting a smartphone app as it does the same thing and you can get some pretty decent ones for a few quid.

I have a gopro hd hero 2 and i love it. All the reviews say it has the best image quality when compared to the contour plus and the drift hd170, and while i can't compare it, i have to say that the video is very impressive. It also has hdmi out which comes in handy.

but like you mentioned, the most off putting factor about the gopro is having a box on your head. Personally I haven't noticed too much of an issue with the weight. I also hear that contour's support team is pretty good
latest report
Test in German

http://www.testberichte.de/a/camcorder/magazin/mountainbike-3-2011/254538.html

Drift Innovation HD170
Ausstattung (10%): 3 von 5 Punkten; = Feautures 3 out of 5
Montage (20%): 4 von 5 Punkten; = Construction 4
Bedienbarkeit (20%): 5 von 5 Punkten; = Uasability 5
Bildqualität (40%): 4 von 5 Punkten; = Picture Quality 4
Tonqualität (10%): 2 von 5 Punkten. = Sound Quality 2

translators
http://dict.leo.org/
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
ski holidays
i wouldnt write off the gopro just yet, a lot of the good footage comes from the chest mount option (not sure if other has this option) and i have never felt it an issue on helmet with extra weight. I always have a home made leash when camera is used on helmet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy