Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais france

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
we are thinking of booking a ski holiday in St Gervais for the new year week

can anyone tell from past experience what the snow conditions are like in the village, on the learner slopes and higher up at that time of year - are we taking a chance going this low

we have 5 skiers and two non skiers in our party, are there non skiing activities to do

many thanks to anyone who can help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyr, welcome to Snowheads! snowHead There are one or two SHs who know St Gervais well, who can answer in more detail. It's a very interesting and attractive town with some good excursions up to the mountains (amongst other things) for non-skiers. The ski area is large and varied (though not all lift-linked) but, as you say, the town itself is low. It's a case of going up the gondola - and back down in the gondola too, unless you are an experienced skier AND the snow is good.

New Year is very early in the ski season. Normally the snow would be better later in the season but last year Christmas/New Year was the best time of the season. And this season New Year was v good as well. It's anyone's guess!

St G is quite a sizeable place - worth being very clear about the exact relationship of potential accommodation to gondola. New Year will be frantically busy - as ever. If you can't do any other time, just chill about queues. Stop for an early snack, then ski all through lunch time when the French visitors are having lunch!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, You called??? . We have now done 5 christmas weeks in Saint Gervais on the trot plus 'a few' more in between. Two of the Xmas weeks have been amazing, two of them pretty good and one OKish - (but absolutely fine if you're talking about lower level skiers ) I would completely disregard the run down to the village - it is almost never open, and quite frankly isn't worth it anyway. (Be wary of apartments that call themselves ski in/ski out btw - check out their location carefully. Likewise check that accommodation is on the navette route unless you are planning on driving every day) The village itself is usually fairly snow free, (30 odd weeks there and not used chains once) which I see as a positive tbh but it is pretty enough to get away with it.

Plenty to do round and about - Thermal baths at Le Fayet, Thursday morning market, wander around Megeve, a bit of snowshoeing, iceskating, g to a hockey math, a trip up Mont Blanc - even day trip to Geneva (though personally I find it a bit dull) and there's usually some sort of 'event' in the Espace Mont Blanc of the tea dance variety ( worth it for the giggle) during the week.

pam w, is right though that New Year will be fairly busy, although in truth it's just 4 central lifts and the immediate slopes that they serve that get a bit trying. Head over towards St Nicolas and it's substantially quieter - but also a bit trickier than St G itself ( not difficult, just not beginner beginner)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

even day trip to Geneva (though personally I find it a bit dull)

indeed - I'd have to be very desperate to do a day trip to Geneva! I only go there when I have to pick someone up at the airport, or take them back. Day trip to Chamonix would appeal to me a lot more - a trip up the Aiguille du Midi (decent weather and good vis essential) would be an unforgettable trip for the non skiers - and the skiers, for that matter. The only way for us ordinary mortals to experience the real heights.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all
many thanks for your replies
nervous about booking as don't want to pay out and have no snow

can you recommend anywhere based on

4 adults - 3 children - 14., 11, and 7
intermediate level although the 7 year old may or may not ski- one adult does not ski

we want a chatered chalet , close to the slopes but also within easy walking distance of a nice town for the non skiers

our budget inc flights skihire but not lessons is around £7000-ish

any ideas of a town / area please
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

within easy walking distance of a nice town for the non skiers

"nice towns" tend not to be up mountains - which is where you are likely to be more snow-sure. so you will need to decide which of your criteria are lowest priority. Try to put all your "wishes" in priority order.

For New Year, you do tend to have to book well in advance for good accommodation which will be in demand. So you can't afford to "wait and see" for a last minute booking.

If you want your accommodation to be sitting in the snow (e.g. so kids can go out and build a snowman, or play snowballs) then St Gervais is not the right place.

What other places have you stayed up to now? What did you like and dislike about them? That will give us a bit more to go on in suggesting alternatives.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy