Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problem with wet ski gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm an lower intermediate skier. I can ski confidently on blues and greens, but require more effort and concentration to ski red in Tignes. I have a problem with my ski gloves. After 3 hours skiing, my gloves on the inside are wet. Presumably with sweat. I have tried adding a pair of icebreaker glove liners in merino wool and they have helped a little, but the gloves are still wet. I have tried some cheap ski gloves and some north face ski gloves and found that the latter are no better than the cheap ones.

I'm not normally a sweaty person and only use deodorant on very hot days as I don't seem to sweat enough to need it. Even when taking part in outdoor bootcamp classes. Outside skiing, my hands are usually too dry and I need to keep on using hand cream to keep them moisturised.

Are my gloves at fault or do I simply have sweaty hands when skiing? Can anyone recommend any ski gloves which may alleviate the problem?

At the moment, I take 2 pairs of ski gloves with me and change them over at lunchtime. When I get back to the chalet I dry them using my boot warmers.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Carolli28
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy you gloves in goretex,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take your hands out of your gloves while riding the lift or in line- at least long enough to stop them from sweating. Good luck
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gortex gloves will make a difference if the gloves are getting wet due to perspiration, this may be daft but I wonder if it could be related to the moisturiser you use on your hands, could some be rubbing off on the inside of the gloves making them less breathable ?

Taking your gloves off where possible will probably help as well allowing both the gloves and your hands access to fresh air even for a few minutes might make a difference
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The shells of your gloves just aren't very breathable. Its like wearing a plastic bag.

I don't really have any useful glove advice; easiest solution is to go hunt down a pair with goretex waterproofing and removable liners... I've no idea how much that might cost you, cos I still have a pair of goretex gloves I was given years ago which don't seem to want to die. Visit your local outdoorsy shop and see what they have lying around. There's no need to pay a fortune.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf wrote:
this may be daft but I wonder if it could be related to the moisturiser you use on your hands, could some be rubbing off on the inside of the gloves making them less breathable?

I'm assuming the OP probably isn't using any moisturisers in combination with the gloves, because it is cold, dry air that dries skin and requires moisturising... underneath a windproof layer, the problem doesn't occur. I'd also be slightly surprised if a waster-based moisturiser could render breathable fabrics useless, but I'm no surface chemist.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carolli28, could also possibly try cosmetic blotting papers like these inside the glove? http://www.cleanandclear.ca/en/prod_details.asp?productid=46
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter's hands get so hot that every time she takes her gloves off, her hands are steaming in the cold. (cue many photos each year).

We try and make sure that she takes her gloves off at regular intervals throughout the day, just to prevent the insides getting too wet (and then prop her gloves up on a radiator overnight to re-dry them).

She manages to get 2 seasons out of one pair of gloves, before the "smell" gets so bad that we have to throw them away.
Going green
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Breathable leather ski gloves from livetoski:

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Categories/Ski_Gloves

Sorted!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know if it will help stop hands sweating in the first place, but last holiday I experimented with rubbing a little Vicks vapo rub onto my hands prior to putting my gloves to cope with the issue of gloves that end up smelling. I think it's Masque's suggestion IIRC. I can report that it seemed to work, but only lasted for about half the day and I found a need to re-apply at lunchtime. The other thing was remembering not to rub my eyes once rubbing it into my hands.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try some cross country skiing gloves without a waterproof membrane.
http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/cross-country/

http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/cross-country/xc-classic/

I use similar gloves when ski touring. Thin gloves on the way up, goretex insulated gloves on the descent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carolli28, Could it be your gloves are too small or too tight ? I have a pair of Marmot work gloves that are a neat fit, and they make my hands sweat something rotten when skiing (they are ok otherwise). An older, much looser pair of gloves are, I find, much better and they are only occasionally mildly damp at the end of the day. Might be worth trying a looser fit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
deerman, agreed, I get on much better with gloves that aren't too tight.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carolli28, alternatively...

There's no rule about how many pairs of gloves you should wear in a day. I normally get through one pair, but my record is four pairs in one day. So what?

If changing your gloves at "half time" works for you then don't worry about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carolli28, have same problem, so have more than 1 pair of gloves and believe me I have ried everything . . .

Agree with FlyinStantoni!
snow conditions
carolli28, ....what's all this about GoreTex? .... I have the same problem. Forget Goretex gloves...like a plastic bag after a while. I use gloves which are:

- slightly too large
- do not have a membrane
- have a heavy fleece interior to wick away sweat
- more than one pair

best so far:

nordbo coldstore worker gloves (ebay 2.50gbp, websites around 22gbp) made by Hestra, top glove makers
Rab Baltoro guide
Mountain equipment guide gloves
Marmot 'work gloves'

all far better than membrane gloves
ski holidays
Could there be another cause of carolli28's wet gloves? Consider falling a lot and putting gloved hands into the snow. Also consider picking up and carrying snow covered skis. Both can lead to lots of snow melting on the gloves. I have had wet gloves from these causes.

I read somewhere that you should not wring out the water from wet Gortex gloves. The reason being that water drops are forced through the Goretex membrane.
ski holidays
valais2, just searhed on ebay for nordbo coldstore worker gloves but got no hits, do you happen to know the seller you got them from???
ski holidays
kitenski,

may not come up on ebay search under nordbo but see these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230730250445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1363

and
try this
http://www.clarity-theotex.co.uk/Nordbo-Coldstore-Gloves

note the ones on ebay are size11 which is quite big - the theotex site has them in 9 too

regards...
snow conditions
I had a similar problem, but eventually found a pair of Surfanic gloves with a little vent on top and have had no further problems since, picked up another pair from the Surfanic shop in October on sale at £19.
ski holidays
Carolli,

what you need is a simple 2 layer system meaning one XXL ski glove and underneath it you wear tight fitting 5€ thermogloves or reall thin ones according to how cold it it is at that point. Of the latter you always bring 3 pairs. During skiing you bring them in your ski backpack and change them during a break (and after drying out your hands ofc). you'll never have problems again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy