Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me - how bad is it...

Poster: A snowHead
It's not much to go on... on account we mainly filmed the kids. But here is a short video of me skiing. It's basically a few short clips stitched together on standard slopes. Any technique critique from the resident instructors welcome and no doubt they'll be a few p!ss takers too.. and yes, you're welcome Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/GfS5HgsYZXw
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne, I'm no instructor, but at least may bump this post for you.

If seriously want some thoughts - at first I thought you were on old straight sticks with the way you turn. Very similar to a friend of mine that skis very hoppy turns Smile Shouldn't you be drving the ski through the turn more with weight forward???
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As someone similarly afflicted with door opening disease you might want to think about "dwarf punishment" pole use - stab em in the foot, punch em in the head.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

door opening disease

fatbob, that sums it up nicely - gonna have to use that with mate next time ski with him Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob,

Quote:
door opening disease

Excellent turn of phrase Laughing and even better principle for the curing Razz

OK, that's the first thing to think about. Any more?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think the pole plant action is a major deal. It might be a bit "overly flamboyant" but the timing of it is good and while it might contribute to a little bit of shoulder rotation, but it's not a big problem and shouldn't be difficult to fix. As a drill, try a double pole tap rather than a single pole tap.

More of an issue is your turn shape and your fore-aft balance, which might well be related. Many of your turns are not round, 'S' shapes, more like linked 'Z' shapes. This is because you quickly turn your skis at the beginning of the turn and then balance on the outside ski as it comes out of the turn in a bit of a straight line. YOu should be looking to make rounder, smoother turns where the ski doesn't suddenly change direction at the beginning.

You're also a bit in the backseat, which might influence the turn shape you make. Make more of an effort at the start of the turn to get forward and across your skis so you stand more centrally.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above more ankle flex and use front of ski to start the turn, think curve.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 22-01-12 1:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's nice is that your reactions and ability to turn in the bumps is nice. And, if anything, you ski better in the bumps than on piste.

Agree with rob@rar and will add that you have near zero flexion and extension, which means that you can't control the interaction between the skis and the snow and are never making them work properly. Which is one of the reasons you hoik them around.

(Gross simplification, but...)

Extend to start the turn. Flex to absorb the pressure towards the end of the turn. And repeat.

Personally, I like the pole plant in a "Rimmer-eque salute" sort of a way. And it's perfect for a game of "skier copycat" where you get a friend to ski behind someone and copy their key skiing characteristic... wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers all.

I have worked hard on skiing bumps better so it's good to hear they don't look too bad.

Also been conscious of making "ziggy zaggy" turns and that being picked up confirms it's still there. If you hear me on the second cut at 20 secs I say "I am skiing rubbish" which it felt like at the time. Not that I am trying to make excuses. I just mean I am conscious of what is going on (to an extent) and trying to improve on it.

Quote:
you have near zero flexion and extension

Would I be right in saying that the old legs just aren't springy enough. I am a bit of a lazy sod. I do give myself a boot every now again to get more dynamic. But I have concentration problems aswell rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't sweat it too much - just start skiing more GS or bigger radius turns then narrow them down while keeping the skis on snow in the same manner. There's nothing wrong with flicky flicky but it doesn't have to be your default ski mode.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne, firstly..well done for posting, good on you! Secondly.. concentration etc. is a problem when you get to a certain age, I forgot my credit card pin of 10 years the other day and now days later still can't remember it!

Right now where was I...... Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
I have worked hard on skiing bumps better so it's good to hear they don't look too bad.

Better is a relative term.

I didn't say that they didn't look too bad.

The real "sod" with skiing is that being lazy in the front half of the turn is repaid tenfold in the back half of the turn. So, if you think you're being lazy then you're just cheating yourself.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know enough to comment on the skiing, but you were tackling the bumps with a lot more gusto than I do and being a lot more successful at them than I am - they are something I've yet to really get to grips with though I've started to play with the odd few now and again. I wish I had your confidence with them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne, rob@rar has said all of the points that needs to be said. But from what I can see you are in the backseat and your balance is very static throughout the turn. So to turn you have to rotate the skis and the little hand movements help you to initiate each turn. You ski the bumps better than most because you have developed the ability to rotate the skis whilst being in the backseat.

On a gentle piste try consciously experimenting with where you weight is balanced [At the moment it is mostly on your heels]. Try and experiment with your weight balanced over your toes or even further forward than that. Then try skiing in the backseat with your weight on your heels. Then try with your weight balanced somewhere in-between your toes and your heels. And ask yourself how different does it feel? What was easier each time and what was harder?

Nb There is an optimal position between the two extremes –(ie between being too far back and being too far forward).

You are a good skier with confidence and so some experimentation with different turn shapes and balance drills will pay dividends for your skiing.

The door opening pole plants are something that I used to do - I had no idea that I was doing them until I saw video of myself skiing. But they were quite easy to fix with a little conscious effort the next time I went skiing.

Its all well and good getting free advice on the internet. But to avoid any misconceptions/misunderstanding I highly recommend regular ski lessons with a well regarded instructor.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gatecrasher, thanks for making me laugh.

FlyingStantoni, maybe our personalities don't suit but your often very useful comments often seem to come with barbed wire attached. Nonetheless thankyou for the input, duly noted.

Megamum, I was hopeless for some time on the bumps and avoided them in general. But I've grown to enjoy them more, and enjoy the challenge, over time. I am actually quite a courageous/confident skier. More so than my wife who is technically better.

fatbob, I'll will try that thanks.
snow report
Layne, agree with rob@rar, on almost everything he said, plus your inside uphill ski seems to be ending up very close to your down hill ski during the second half of your turn, therefore making the next turn more difficult than it should be. Maybe a little more weight on your up hill ski and wider stance would help. Over to you ROB your the expert Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Layne, from what I see you are a good confident skier, you flow quite nicely from turn to turn you look more at home in the bumps and have adapted your own style over quite some time I suspect to suit, if you are happy with your skiing then don't fix it,
But looking at videos of yourself can be a good way to either inspire you to make changes or put you off for life! If you are feeling the former then there are things that you can work on... even if its only thinking more about quietening down the upper body rotary action "a little" on your piste skiing, this will encourage your lower body to get more active, less swinging of the upper body gives us a better perception of what our lower body is actually doing so we can control it better, simply by changing what your arms are doing can help your overall balance, your timing is good but it's what you do after planting you could play with a bit, more of a wrist action than the whole arm backwards swing, have a play with more of a wrist action and think more of a consistent distance between your arms and see how it feels.
snow report
No offense meant Layne.

You want to hear me critique my own skiing! snowHead
snow report
livetoski, cheers buddy.

gatecrasher, thanks for your comments. I think I am a bit "anal" and I like to get things right. I don't believe you ever stop learning (unless you want to). I don't beat myself up unless I ski like a real @rse Smile or bomb out. I do get a buzz out of skiing well and being able to ski any terrain well. I'm too old to be the next freestyle champion and have the restriction of time and family. But no matter. I still enjoy the challenge. And so yes posting the video and getting the feedback will be an inspiration Cool

FlyingStantoni, understood wink
snow conditions
Layne, you could get some good tips & drills by attending a clinic at Hemel that rob's company runs....

I also think you could do with a touch wider stance, shoulder width for the piste stuff, closer together like you are doing in the bumps....
snow report
Big respect on putting up a video, you keep 'em pointed down the slope and look nice and relaxed. Your technique is interesting though Wink. What I would suggest is getting a bit of training from someone in their particular ski-fu. For example, you are getting better in the bumps but using your existing technique. A new technique will set you back for a few days, but I think then your progress will be so much faster. A bit like Nick Faldo rebuilding his golf swing then winning all those majors.

If you don't fancy that then I would look at improving your stance and balance next. Look at
these guys.

- Upper body is very quiet, shoulders a bit more forward, back rounded. The legs do all the work, like a swan. It's hard to balance with your upper body flapping about!
- Skis a tad wider on piste.
- 100% balanced on the outside leg. See how they sometimes pick up the inside ski? They do this as a drill to make sure their balance is 'right'. You can't pick up the inside ski and stay balanced if you aren't 100% on that outside ski!
- Strong core, again helps balance. You broke at the waist when hitting something at the bottom of the bump run. If you were carrying a tray of drinks they would have gone everywhere! Ideally we want to absorb with the legs to avoid having to go back to the bar. Activating the core by tensing the stomach helps. Rubber legs as well - no peg leg!

So this is a bit of my ski-fu and it may differ to others but I still recommend getting the full story from someone and working on that.

You have a great attitude so I have no doubt you will improve.
latest report
Kenny, thanks for your comments.

A lot of people saying should have a touch wider stance on the piste. That is probably my wife's fault. She was taught the old fashioned way in Germany/Austria and ski's with her feet close together. I think I became conscious of having a particular wide stance and tried to ski closer together. Also I've been trying to ski bumps better and get that nice "bounce" through. So I've perhaps overdone the adjustments on the piste. I think I do open up a bit at speed, carving big turns but no footage of that... maybe the next trip Smile

Quote:
See how they sometimes pick up the inside ski? They do this as a drill to make sure their balance is 'right'. You can't pick up the inside ski and stay balanced if you aren't 100% on that outside ski!

Funny you should mention that. I do try that exercise sometimes. I don't have a particularly good natural sense of balance. I have had waxed ear problems the last few years aswell that perhaps doesn't help. But yeah, I'll do a bit more of and work on that.

Maybe worth mentioning that I am 1m96cm tall (6'4") and 85kg (13.5 stone). Not ideal stature for skiing it has to be said Laughing

Quote:
You broke at the waist when hitting something at the bottom of the bump run. If you were carrying a tray of drinks they would have gone everywhere!

Not looking for a job ski waitering you know wink No, fair comment. I do do that sometimes... and perhaps indicates a weak torso.
ski holidays
you ski similar to my uncle paul he's slow and always at the back watching over everyone but in the bumps he's a beast
snow conditions
Layne, the thing for me about your stance width is that it wanders between good and too narrow. If you look at the left hand turn at 0:17 it's absolutely fine.

One focus would just to be to try to keep that stance width consistent. There's a chicken and egg thing here - if you "rush" the turn then it's really hard to do it with your stance a consistent width - so slowing down the turn will help with the stance width.

There was a trend in BASI a few years ago that everyone should aim toward a wider stance, but BASI has had a lot more focus on individual bio-mechanics than it used to and the focus is now on having a bio-mechanically effective stance. If you were to go and see Andi McCann, he'd get you to close your eyes and walk on the spot for a few minutes. When you stop then that's your natural stance-width and the one you should aim for. About hip width. (Not shoulder width as stated above.)

The old adage of "wider for speed, narrower for agility" remains, but a bit wider and a bit narrower.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, whoops!! my mistake, in my head I'd always say stance is somewhere between shoulder and hip width apart... and I mean that my hips are directly underneath my shoulders.....

Layne, there's some good video to watch on the BASI channel of level 1 turns, which may give you something to watch??

http://youtube.com/v/ea5-vTW9iJQ&context=C3ee78c2ADOEgsToPDskKE7sGR3fRWkvcK2qcrk6L3
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, thanks - very insightful.

I just had a thought that maybe we should start a bumps challenge where you have to carry a tray with two drinks on it ..
snow report
I'm seeing that Layne always has the same skiing style which suits bumps the best. Aren't short turns, long turns, bumps, steeps, flat pistes best skied with slightly different styles/methods. Isn't this why very few world class ski racers excel in more than two disciplines? - i.e. they are either technical or speed champions.
snow report
Easy, drink the drinks first, then slide down on the tray. hic.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, there are plenty of good all rounders are there not (have to admit I don't watch much ski racing these days). Hence why they have Overall, Combined, Super Combined, aswell as the individual events. Granted some do excel/concentrate on individual events. Having said that I am not loooking to win a WC race Smile

I did ponder earlier, though didn't post, about whether people consciously switch "styles" according to the terrain they are skiing. I think for me I definitely do make certain changes.. mentally and physically. Although maybe the evidence above indicates otherwise Laughing I'd maybe say that is almost the essence or part of becoming an advanced or expert skier.
snow report
Layne wrote:
FlyingStantoni, thanks - very insightful.

I just had a thought that maybe we should start a bumps challenge where you have to carry a tray with two drinks on it ..

If you fancy a challenge try skiing the bumps with no poles, as at 7:26:

Mogul Logic with Chuck Martin from Jeff Lind
http://vimeo.com/3067901
snow conditions
Layne, the person I do my training with once had us doing bumps with our arms folded (hard, but interesting) and then with our arms folded and eyes closed (hard and somewhat "less enjoyable"). I may just suggest that to him and get it videod. I've no idea how well I would do, but am prepared to give it a go for the craic...

(I reckon under a new name could do it. Easily.)
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
... whether people consciously switch "styles" according to the terrain they are skiing.
Tough to do consciously, but undoubtedly we make many subtle changes subconsciously. But we do that from turn to turn on the same terrain, so no surprise that happens when there are big changes to the terrain of the snow.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Layne, the person I do my training with once had us doing bumps with our arms folded (hard, but interesting)
Moguls with your hands above your head (or holding a pole above your head) helps with keeping upper body upright. Tough drill (it kills me) but a good 'un.
latest report
rob@rar, add that to the list of things to do next week if no fresh then!!
snow report
kitenski, as a point of principle I'm not skiing to Japan to ski bumps!
snow conditions
rob@rar, spoilsport!!
ski holidays
Layne,

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see a massive amount of difference in your style as the terrain changes.

Quote:
Only a few of the most versatile racers have ever managed to win races in all 5 World Cup alpine skiing disciplines during their career, as listed in the table below. Marc Girardelli (1988–89), Petra Kronberger (1990–91), and Janica Kostelić (2005–6) are the only skiers to have won all 5 events in a single season. Since the combined was not introduced until the 1974–75 season and the Super G until 1982–83, the following list also includes those racers who won races in all disciplines contested during their World Cup careers (events not contested are marked by NA). Bode Miller is the only competitor with at least five World Cup victories in all five disciplines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup#All-event_winners

I'll change things depending on the terrain e.g. Short turns & bumps = more flexing with crossunder turns (the turns cross under me), long turns = crossover carves (I cross over the skis from turn to turn). Deep & steep light Powder = short turns. Heavy Powder = longer turns etc.
snow conditions
There some footage of the wife skiing the bumps without poles but I'm not sure I dare post it. And if I ask she'll probably start getting nosey (she doesn't surf the net much). Plus she's better than me Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Moguls with your hands above your head (or holding a pole above your head) helps with keeping upper body upright.

Otherwise known as the "Italian soldier mogul drill" Mr. Green
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Maybe worth mentioning that I am 1m96cm tall (6'4") and 85kg (13.5 stone). Not ideal stature for skiing it has to be said Laughing

Perfect, once we get you balanced up your extra leverage will destroy those midgets on the slopes, destroy them I say BWA HA HA.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy