Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine on the 28th of Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Flaine for 2 weeks on the 28th of Jan, it will be my wifes second ski holiday (we were in Flaine last year too) and is progressing well despite letting nerves get to her at times. What's peoples view on trying Cascades assuming it remains open while we are there? Obviously a lot will depend on how she feels when we are there. How is the run for the newer skier and is there a easy route back to Flaine? Are there any routes people would suggest that will alow us to see other villages etc?

We are thinking of getting the "a la carte" ski card which looks like it can be collected in resort if odered. Has anyone had any experience this?

Many thanks
Lee
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lee
Cascades is not the best for a nervous or novice skier - narrow and steep in places.
OK at the top but the drop down to Sixt is more difficult.
Last weekend it was also very icy in places + the deep man made snow at Sixt caused a few people to fall over
Note there's no easy direct route back to Flaine - you need to get the bus to Samoens.
From there it's not too bad apart from the last bit of Tourmaline from the Grands Vans
Not tried the a la carte but friends bought their pass online last year and it was delivered to home in the UK within 3 days
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with what janner, says. With a novice/nervous skier I would only think about doing it if there has been some snow the previous night right down to the bottom of Sixt (about 900m, IIRC). The run does not open until about 10am and you would want to be one of the first down before the lower section gets swept of snow, leaving only ice to ski on. Also be aware that the bus back to Samoens stops running at about 15.30 (check this before starting off) and you would want to allow at least an hour to do the run. Finally (and I know this is all negative but the truth is necessary) for a beginner unwilling/unable to schuss on certain parts there will be some walking involved. Leaving early will also mean returning down Tourmalines before the hoards hit it late pm.

Have a great time whatever you choose to do!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. We will see how things go while we are out there, I am sure she will be fine and will continue to improve over the two weeks. I would like to take her on some longer runs at some point but obviously do not want to do anything to scare or put her off.

Really looking forward to next week now.

Cheers
Lee
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy