Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Booked a BA flight to Venice, went to add extra baggage 23kg for ski carriage today, £29.50 each way, so £59 for each of us.
Happened to see upgrade flight option, upgrade the outbound flight for £62 each.

Club World entitles you to 2 bags @23kg in the hold, so ski carriage sorted.
If you book one leg upgraded the other flight, i.e. the return carries the same baggage allowance even if it's economy, so no extra charge to bring the skis home.
Use of Club Lounge, free wine, champagne & food
Club check-in
Drinks inc champagne on-board, choice of meal served on china.
better bigger seats.

All for £3.00 extra each.......Result. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, score!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, I've got to add skis to my Venice flight for the Birthday Bash, so thanks for that, I'll see if I can get the same deal. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one Spyderman!

I have a Nice x London to Denver with a return Denver x London to Lyon coming up- no skis on the way out, but might have some on the way back. Any idea if upgrading one of the shorter (likely cheaper) segments would give you the extra allowance?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MEfree30, I phoned BA to check as I thought it was a mistake as it came up on the booking schedule and they confirmed the arrangement, it's in the terms and conditions apparently. Worth a punt for sure, you can always go through the motions and check, if it doesn't you can always downgrade again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, superb, well done Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, nice one. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, Thanks for the heads up on that one - I will check our BA flight, to Venice in 3 weeks, options based on your good information. I have already booked extra bags but believe this can be cancelled pretty easily.

Cheers snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well that did not take long to check - total cost to upgrade just the outbound leg for 2 of us to Venice on Sunday 12th Feb is £574

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP, I obviously struck very lucky, worth a go though. Did you try the return flight? It can be either one. The return upgrade cost for mine was £186 each.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, Its half term - no chance of any kind of 'deal'. The return flight was not even offered as an option to upgrade.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BA often offer upgrades at £50 per leg as you get near departure date. worth checking (maybe not for 1/2 term flights)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Just upgraded my outward journey for £69. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Thanks Spyderman. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
geepee, Cool
latest report
Spyderman, Just checked Aer Lingus Dublin to Edinburgh e20 extra each way for upgrade and does include extra bag @ 20kg but when I checked the general baggage terms and conditions there is also a charge for sports equipment at e30 per sector, don't think I can substitute a ski bag for a "free bag" but not sure - hopefully you'll not get caught out by the same thing.
ski holidays
briand6868, BA have a policy of a hold bag @23kg, doesn't matter what you put in it, Sporting Goods are charged as an additional bag @23kg. We've done the 2 free bags, one as a ski bag and one with clothes, with boots in hand luggage before quite a few times. This time though, we're taking 2 sets of skis each, so need the additional bag each.

From BA T&C's "There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance.

If the total number of bags is more than your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges."
snow report
Spyderman, Result indeed - nice one and enjoy your trip.
latest report
Not sure if the checked baggage allowance for mere mortals has changed or not?

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

It says:

Quote:
The maximum dimensions of the bag are:
90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16 in), including the handle, pockets and wheels

It also says:

Quote:
You may take bags up to the dimensions 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.

•Any bags carried in addition to your free checked baggage allowance will incur an extra bag charge.
•A heavy bag charge may apply to bags over 23kg (51lb).

I was looking to take a double ski bag stuffed with everything that will still weigh less than 23kg (as I did last year). That will be larger than their maximum 90cm x 75cm x 43cm, but less than the "up to" 190cm x 75cm x 65cm. It doesn't say whether larger bags that are within the 23kg weight limit will incur additional fees? Can anyone clarify?
snow report
I flew with them last year (allbeit business class); with two bags; one ski bag full of stuff and was just over 190cm and no-one even cared. Best to call and check. But their T+C's say they take sports equipement as part of checked baggage allowance of 23kg.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, I commute on BA and know the baggage rules fairly well. If you're at the back in cattle class then your normal allowance is one piece at 23kg. I've taken my 195cm wheeled ski bag with me several times. Sometimes it hasn't even had skis inside. They don't get a measuring tape out and check the size, and they never ask what's inside. To them it's just a ski bag. Half the time they don't even weigh it. You just take the ski bag to the oversize bag drop off after you've checked in.
Three things to remember. The baggage conveyor belts will not move if your bag is over 32kg. You can pay for the extra 9kg (23 - 32) online, but it's not much more expensive to pay for an extra piece of baggage, which gets you another 23kg. And finally they never weigh your hand luggage. Mine normally weigh at least, well lets just say they're heavy. Smile
snow report
scooby_simon, Skier from Argentina, thanks for that. Very helpful. It sounds the same as last year then Smile
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
Booked a BA flight to Venice, went to add extra baggage 23kg for ski carriage today, £29.50 each way, so £59 for each of us.
Happened to see upgrade flight option, upgrade the outbound flight for £62 each.

Club World entitles you to 2 bags @23kg in the hold, so ski carriage sorted.
If you book one leg upgraded the other flight, i.e. the return carries the same baggage allowance even if it's economy, so no extra charge to bring the skis home.
Use of Club Lounge, free wine, champagne & food
Club check-in
Drinks inc champagne on-board, choice of meal served on china.
better bigger seats.

All for £3.00 extra each.......Result. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ah, BA have gone a bit sneaky on this. I have just booked BA flights from Gatwick to Venice for next year to upgrade the outward leg it cost an additional £72, but the price of the return leg automatically changed from £51 to £60, therefore in total the upgrade was £81. Still worth it though.

Also be aware that the upgrade includes entry to BA lounge, but only if one is available AFAIAA there is no such lounge in Venice (could be wrong) so its not really worth upgrading on the return leg.

Hard to believe but this is actually the most convenient route for me, i.e. driving down to Gatwick from the North-West and overnighting at a Gatwick hotel, nothing from Northern airports fits in with the Dolomitistars transfers. Also KLM have lost my luggage twice now, last time I lost a days skiing because of it, so don't want to risk this again.
ski holidays
Kel, you can book the upgrade after you have made the original booking in economy. Doesn't need to be done at the same time.

There is a lounge at Venice.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Kel, you can book the upgrade after you have made the original booking in economy. Doesn't need to be done at the same time.

I Know

There is a lounge at Venice.

Never seen it, I presume it is a partner 3rd party lounge, i.e. not a dedicated BA lounge.
snow conditions
Kel, yes, a shared lounge. Too few BA flights each day to make a dedicated BA lounge viable. But it's comfortable enough, with the usual range of drinks, snacks, quiet seating, papers and magazines, charging points, etc. Spent about 6 hours there this winter waiting for a delayed flight.
snow report
There isn't a lounge at Innsbruck, but you get vouchers (€10 each, I think) to spend in the snack bar.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shared lounge at Turin too.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
There isn't a lounge at Innsbruck, but you get vouchers (€10 each, I think) to spend in the snack bar.
another reason why that's not a great airport.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
laundryman wrote:
another reason why that's not a great airport.

Innsbruck is prone to fog. Spent 3 hours sitting on the runway in Manchester, one hour in the air over Innsbruck, and 3 hours in Salzberg waiting for the coaches to move over from Innsbruck. Sad

Another reason why Innsbruck is not a great airport.
snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Are you sure? If so this is a recent change to the Ts&Cs. When i upgraded with BA one way but not the other, they made a specific point of telling me at the time of upgrade and then check in that my baggage allowance would be different on the return leg. That didn't matter to me as I was moving to HK at the time so would have a lot less luggage on my next return to the UK Happy
latest report
beanie1,

Yes, copied from my confirmation email, flight out is Club Europe, return is Euro traveller :

Checked baggage Adults and children: 2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag per passenger
You may be charged for extra or overweight bags. There are restrictions on what you may pack and on the dimensions of your bags.
snow conditions
beanie1, euro flights may be different to long hail I'd guess.
ski holidays
Taxi!
ski holidays
I have just added another person onto this flight to Venice (my son) He said he wasn't bothered about upgrading to Club Europe on the return leg providing I would take his skis and as I already have the 2 x 23kg allowance that's not a problem. So I am on the booking page and have the option of bookng the return leg at £96 economy with luggage or £98 Club Europe.

So for a whole £2 extra Shocked Shocked he get's to fly business with all the associated perks Smile Smile
snow report
I just booked a return using Avios to Salzberg with Business on the return only. Shows as 2 bags on the economy leg so quite a big saving over economy plus paying for an extra bag on each leg. A no brainer.
snow conditions
D'oh, so I think I made a mistake in my understanding of BA rules. I thought I could have a ski bag as part of my free allowance (in economy) as long as suitcase+skis weren't over 23kg. But reading this thread I would still need to book a 2nd bagage?
Can you guys confirm?
snow conditions
Kruisler, my understanding is one case up to the weight limit is free, but two cases, even if the total weight is within the limit incurs a charge.

Kelskii, I would print out a copy of something which says you've got a 2 bag allowance - we booked to Calgary last year on economy (after BA had reduced the transatlantic allowance to 1 bag) using BA miles. I went on to add a second bag for skis, but all three of us had a 2 bag allowance. As I didn't want to get charged at the airport, I phoned the Executive Club helpline and the nice chap agreed there had been a mistake but we had been given the allowance and taking a print-out was his advice in case anyone spotted it.
latest report
Kruisler, As long as you have skis in your bag (ie. a coffin style bag that can accommodate your skis and kit) and have only one bag under 23 kgs then you're fine with the BA baggage rules.

BTW, BA allow 23 kgs as hand baggage on top of this "one-bag/23 kgs" hold allowance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy